Snap, Crackle, Pop!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
So why does wood crackle? Iv'e heard it is because moisture is trapped in the fiber of the wood and upon release, it crackles. I have noticed this with all types of wood as well......Any thoughts......

Hi dzych2,
not wishing to hijack your thread but I have noticed a similar thing with Birch.
When down to coals and poking about before reloading I get lots of sparks, a bit like fireworks, was wondering what causes this ?.

Regards

Billy.

Those are Fire bugs that get caught up in the heat of the moment. Hedge is notorious for these little critters.

Reactions: ScotO
I have found Mullberry the King of Pop.

Hi dzych2,
not wishing to hijack your thread but I have noticed a similar thing with Birch.
When down to coals and poking about before reloading I get lots of sparks, a bit like fireworks, was wondering what causes this ?

I get this same mini firework action with ash. I was going to ask the same ? Pat

Tulip Poplar makes purty sparks. Just don't open the door.

Pine & spruce are notorious for big sparks.
Moisture encapsulated in the sap (never dries out) gets hot & sparks fly.
One reason for the "dangers of burning pine", "pine burns down houses", when burn in a fire place, sparks starting house fires.

Dzych2, for what it is worth, it is a combination of moisture and gases expanding. Thre is even a candle company that uses wood for wicking so that you can get that little "crackle" in your candle.

Reactions: ScotO
"dangers of burning pine", "pine burns down houses", .

Can I quote you on that Dave? ;)

You already quoted me LOL :)

I remember burning in a fire place in Oregon. Had a screen but every now & then a spark would make it thru.
Burn marks on the floor around the fireplace. Burning some kind of pine (evergreen) .

You ever have sparks fly out of the stove ?
I had some this morning when raking the coals,
Birch & spruce both seem to pop even after an all night burn & nothing but coals & charcoal left.
(maybe because it was -16°f outside :) )

Hedge a.k.a. Osage Orange that's the king of pop! Only burnable in an inclosed stove. I've seen it throw burning sparks from a firepit furher than cousin Woodrow can spit a watermellon seed!==c

Reactions: Billybonfire
You already quoted me LOL :)
I guess I did. lol

I think open fireplaces can be dangerous no mater what wood you use. Certainly they are useless as far as trying to heat homes go. Although I guess they can have some aesthetic appeal, but I would never build one or even use one if I had one in my home.
The way I get that open fireplace look is by recording a video like the one above and playing it full screen on my big screen TV in 1080p HD with surround sound. ==c Probably heats the house better than a fireplace too.

Those are Fire bugs that get caught up in the heat of the moment. Hedge is notorious for these little critters.

They are quite good at escaping and flying across the room when you open the stove door too. Crazy little critters, open the door and a whole damn swarm tries to escape.

So why does wood crackle? Iv'e heard it is because moisture is trapped in the fiber of the wood and upon release, it crackles. I have noticed this with all types of wood as well......Any thoughts......

Thems just termite turds exploding.

Reactions: tnorto02
I have found Mullberry the King of Pop.
I second that. Mulberry pops with a pretty bluish purple flame. No help to the OP, don't know why though.

Status
Not open for further replies.