Snap disc #2 tripping on Santa Fe pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wellcraft270

Dec 29, 2016
Idaho
My #2 snap disc went bad on a Santa Fe pellet stove. My owners manual lists the part as 230-1290 which is a 250 degree snap disc. The one I pulled out was a 175 degree snap disc part number 230-1960 so I replaced it with a new 175 degree disc. Shopping online at stove-parts-unlimited.com and other sites indicate the 175 degree disc is the correct part. The new one is now tripping frequently. I have had the stove since new and this part had not been changed in the past. 2 questions - does anyone know if this should be the 250 degree snap disc even though it worked fine for years with the other one; and if the 175 degree disc is correct, what would now be causing the new disc to trip assuming it is working correctly? I have cleaned the stove and it seems to be venting properly.

I just looked at manual and it does say snap disc #2 250. Not sure why you have a 175. Are you sure your replacing the correct one. Snap disc 3 is part #240-1960 in the manual. Snap disc #2 is part #srv7000-268

Only reason I ask is the are located pretty close to each other in the stove. Disc #2 has 2 orange wires going to it

What year stove is it? And is the convection fan coming on? kap

The stove is a Santa Fe B1 model. The owners manual was printed November of 2005 and I think we purchased it in 2006. I uploaded a picture of the page in my manual showing the part numbers. Everything is currently working fine on it other than the new snap disc has cut out twice the first day after putting it in. The diagrams in the manual look pretty clear that it is snap disc 2 that I replaced. The original problem was the auger was not starting and the manual specified one of the primary causes of this could be a defective snap disc 2.

Looking at a newer 2008 Santa Fe manual at www.manualslib.com, it also specifies a 250 degree snap disc 2. Other sites such as stove-parts-unlimited.com list a 175 degree disc for older Pre serial # 0071642320 models so it could have been a running change. Looked for my serial # this morning but assuming it is on the back somewhere not easy to access. It actually ran all the way through the night last night without tripping. I cleaned the exhaust tube near the disc with a toothbrush and I can place my hold my hand on the metal next to the snap disc when running so not super hot. At this point, guessing the older specification 175 degree disc was originally put in from the factory even though my manual specifies a 250 degree disc. I'll order a new 250 disc and swap it out if the 175 degree one continues to trip. My main concern is if there is another problem causing the stove to overheat creating a potential fire hazard. We are supposed to have subzero temperatures this week so it will be running pretty much full time to keep up.

Attachments

• santa fe owners manual.jpg
    santa fe owners manual.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 183
My Santa Fe is an 06, and also uses the 175* disc. This is mainly for if the conv. fan doesn't come on to distribute the heat from stove, and starts overheating. Thru the years, Quad has changed many things, parts, design, etc. Serial # is on big silver sticker, on stove inside left panel. kap

My Santa Fe is an 06, and also uses the 175* disc. This is mainly for if the conv. fan doesn't come on to distribute the heat from stove, and starts overheating. Thru the years, Quad has changed many things, parts, design, etc. Serial # is on big silver sticker, on stove inside left panel. kap

If you adjust your feed rate down a bit it may solve the problem. It sounds like the convection fan is not transferring heat away quickly enough to keep the snap disc from tripping. What setting are you running your stove on?

Reactions: kappel15
We have always run the stove of the highest fan setting. Flame pattern seems OK. I have adjusted the feed rate down in the past but haven't touched it for years and have always run the same brand of pellets. After the new snap disc tripped a couple times the first day after initially replacing it, it has worked fine ever since. We are down into some sub-zero temperatures and it runs pretty much full time so problem seems to have gone away. Still planning to blow everything out further with an air compressor when it warms up a little to make sure I don't have ash buildup in the fan area.

Even in the same brand of pellets, you can get some that are longer or shorter then they used to be. And even different burning. Hopefully it was just a glitch, and things will be fine from now on. We are headed for the deep freeze again here also. Stay warm kap