snap disk question on classic bay 1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heitzman

Sep 27, 2016
Pennsylvania
So the snap disk on the right side (looking at the stove) which controls the convection fan....sometimes the fan cuts off and I have to loosen the wing nut and move the disk a little to get the fan on. Is this a sign its going bad? Its pretty random but all I have to do is move it a very little and the fan runs.

Bought this stove used and so far thanks to these forums I learned the previous owner didnt know how to clean the vacuum line and switch, the pot was very thick with carbon build up, and now this.

Thanks for help all.

Snap disc 1 controls the convection blower yes, it has two purple wires going to it. SD 2 has yellow wires going to it. If in doubt, replace the switch.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Snap discs are an easy and inexpensive repair ... a whole lot easier and done than having to loosen the wing nut when it quits. Not to mention, really shouldn't be in the cabinet if it's running.

Reactions: heitzman
Take it off and clean it ash is a great insulator
When you loosen it some of the ash falls off allowing it to work for a while

Reactions: heitzman
Pretty sure the disk is now dead haha, no fan anymore after I took it out to clean it off. Gonna check the local dealer tomorrow for replacement or try amazon. Ill keep ya informed of results.

For everyone's info- Note the snap disk isn't exposed to the exhaust path, like some stoves. It is held against the stove body to sense heat. If the stove were to build up on the inside of the stove body, it could prohibit it from warming up and closing. Its prob just gone bad, time for a new one. If you bypass the switch and the convex blower runs continuously, then you eliminate the blower and wiring as the would be culprits.

Status
Not open for further replies.