Snap disk question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Straz85

Oct 20, 2014
Holliston, MA
Hi All, Since I got my insert a few weeks back, it's been taking the blower anywhere from 50 minutes up to 1.5 hours to come on, even when the fires been burning at 550-600 most of that time. I called the store I got it at, they said the snapdisk that's in it is 140/120 I believe. They told me where it is, said to make sure the blower is making contact with the stove and make sure the fire is burning in the front left of the insert. I pulled the blower off the stove and looked at the snapdisk. I noticed there was 1 screw holding it in and the second screw hole on the snapdisk had no screw in it so the snapdisk was pulling away from the side of the blower. I added a second screw to hold the snapdisk completely against the blower and made sure the blower was pushed up against the stove well. This didn't make a huge difference, still taking almost an hour. The owners manual says that it could take up to an hour, but it seems if the fire's burning at 550-600 it shouldn't take that long.

So my question is, is it normal for the blower to take almost an hour to come on? Should I try a 120/100 degree snapdisk?

Thanks!

A low temp snap disk has to be located far enough from any intense heat as to not cook it. Basically they are off to the side somewhere...it can take awhile for the heat to transmit to them. An hour is maybe a little on the long side for time, but probably not out of line.

I have gone 4 or 5 hours with it not coming on. Amazing how ash can insulate. What I do now, having just figured it out is move almost all the ash off the area where the disk is located. Comes on much quicker now.

Usually the switch is located low so that the mass of the stove body has a chance to warm up first, before the blower comes on. Once the mass of the stove has warmed up the retained heat wiil keep the blower on even though the fire has died down.

Where mine is located, it took a really looking time to come on from a cold start, or if I cleaned out ashes and put a full load in it. I was getting very impatient one cold, windy night last winter as my house temp was dropping quick, and I bypassed it. It may not be a good idea for you, but my stove never goes cold unless I want it to.

But yeah, an hour isn't out of the realm.

Thanks everyone. I'll try making sure I clean the ash out of the corner where the snapdisk is. Otherwise, I guess it sounds like since I made sure everything is in contact, my times seem normal.

Early on with my QF 7100 I was having trouble with my snap disk. It would work fine/quickly when warming up a cold stove. when heating up a stove that was warm but not hot enough to engage the disk it would take forever. They sent out a tech to do a warranty replacement. Once we got the bricks out and lifted the plate where the disk was located, we noticed that the metal bracket/clip that was holding the disk was a bit lose. We bent the clip a little and then put the disk in so that it was held very tightly to the plate. I have had zero problems with my disk ever since.

Our theory on why the slightly lose clip was that once warm, it expanded just enough to allow an air gap between the bottom of the stove and the disk. So, check to see if you can snug up the contact of your snap disk to the stove.

Just bypass the snap disk and control it manually

Just bypass the snap disk and control it manually

This is what I did, and it works fine for me.

If you burn 24/7 and your stove never goes cold, it's not a big deal. If you have a smaller stove that doesn't make heat for the twelve hours you are gone for work, then it is just blowing cold air around when you get home. Blowers are especially important for inserts, like the OP has.

Might not be for everybody.

I just re-formed the snap disc bracket on my Quad 7100 (gently hammered it flatter, and removed some of the factory silicone) and it works sooooo much better! Thanks forum!

Reactions: Jags
Good to hear. You make the third person that I have talked to that was able to improve their snap disk performance by tightening up the bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.