snap switch fails

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Just replaced a low limit snap switch and in a few days it stops working, do the ceramic models function better? It seems heat on the 110f switch ruins the bimetallic portion inside, because the surface eventually gets 4-500 degrees. I was wondering if the ceramic versions help with this?

I am assuming this is for the woodstove you have in your sig?

Ceramic may stand a bit more heat but I wouldn't say much more. I would look into relocating the snap disc to an area that does get THAT hot. Or look into a probe type temp controller. More cash upfront. But the only thing in the hot zone is the probe. The contacts are kept out of the heat zone. Another feature is they are adjustable.

Check this link:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HONEYWELL-Aquastat-Controller-5TB81?Pid=search

If this switch was originally ceramic and mounted on your combustion blower you need to replace it with a ceramic part, what happens is the bi-metal unit is actually fine but the switch point mount deforms and it no longer properly lines up and thus can not function.

It is also possible that the sensor area has enough carbon/ash build up over it that it is effectively insulated and thus never reaches the required temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.