Snap switch modifiction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie

Dec 30, 2012
I have replaced three snap switches on my Lopi insert. I am planing to instal a relay in line with the switch to avoid the high current through the switch.

What model stove is this?

I have replaced three snap switches on my Lopi insert. I am planing to instal a relay in line with the switch to avoid the high current through the switch.
I don't think a relay (contactor) will help, but I could be wrong. The snap action switches are rated for 25 amps or the ones I've used. If your blower is drawing more than that there is a serious problem. Most of those (blowers)are drawing from 1 to maybe 4 amps at the most. Those snap action switches should last for years. Maybe they are using some cheap OEM switches?

Agreed. Are the snap switches coming from a Lopi dealer? If they are the correct part, this could be a fan motor bearing going bad. When was the motor last lubricated?

Status
Not open for further replies.