Snow and Bone Chilling -4 Deg F Artic Air coming this weekend - Will u need Backup heat? What Kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Forcast is - 4 Degrees F for Monday Morning - Will you just heat with Just wood pellets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burn Baby Burn..

Pellets today, pellets tomorrow, pellets forever!

Post the poll when the temp goes -10 degrees..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We've been into -15 as the low here in Helena Montana, and for the most part the pellet stove keeps the entire basement toasty, and the upstairs around 66 deg, so the propane fireplace kicked on a bit. We have electric heat in the back bedrooms, but we didn't need it.

I'll burn 3.5-4 tons of pellets this year. Actually a mild winter all things considered.

Our house is pretty well insulated too.

Mainly pellet heat, but have to use a little oil to keep the upstairs bedrooms at 50, and some for hot water.

I'm going to clean the stove on Saturday so I have max effeciency.

New Hampshire Jim said:
Don;
Relax I live 5 miles east of you and have a weather station hooked up with the National Weather Service. It wont be any colder than 10 deg. Sunday night In our area so relax stack a few bags of pellets next to the stove and If you have to turn on the oil heat. What Is It going to cost for a few hours of warmth $3.00. Check my SIG and follow the link to get the real weather In our area. You are using channel 9 In Manchester NH and I think those temps are for the White Mountains

Hi Jim

I checked out your link and not so sure if I think the FairPoint Forecast is more accurate than TV Ch.9 I did a comparison like this before and found that news 9 with it's updates is a fairly accurate forecast.

See >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80247/P22/
Turns out Mike Hadad was right in this case. So after that I really do not go for web site forcasts as much. They can be totally wrong and noone cares! Weathermen like Mike do have some integrity and really do try to be more accurate!

Anyway, I froze your chart below here and I will set the Digital memory sunday night to save the overnight low and we will really see which is closer. OK?

Attachments

• 02102012-11DegFairPointForcast.jpg
    02102012-11DegFairPointForcast.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 283
Single digits with wind chill in the negatives here on the outskirts of Titletown.

Pellets are doing just fine.

Attachments

• ADICURRENTS.jpg
    ADICURRENTS.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 287
  • ADIWINDCHILL.jpg
    ADIWINDCHILL.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 286
Do you guys really get into a p*ssing match as to how cold it it gets? I can go 10 miles from my house and hit 15' of snow and 10 deg colder than my house (which has 4" of snow). No one brags about it. Next week the inversion could slip my way and put me in the deep freeze. Who cares.

Really?

I was stating that my pellet stove is heating my home just fine despite the cooler temps.

Really.

Don't know if it's supposed to be in the minus here
but I'm sure the Okanagans will have my back.
Using oil for hot water only.
(Since the stove went in haven't seen anything that Okies couldn't handle without backup)

smoke show said:
I was stating that my pellet stove is heating my home just fine despite the cooler temps.

Really.
Well okay, now that you put it THAT way, lol.

Balmy 20 here now. And snow. Time to fish!

Pellets will do just fine. Have never run the stove over #3 other than to warm things up quickly. We'll see how it does with this quick "cold snap". Used to worry about consuming large quantities of propane when I saw these types of forecasts. Really nice not to care anymore!!

IREPLYING always need some oil as the master bedroom is to far from stove to heat. Cleaned last night and switched to burning Vermonts, should be good.

Just pellets for me. Got way more power than I need. I think I'm good until well below zero. I handled -20ºF last season without any backup. And if I need backup, Its not Fossil or Electric doing the duties. An old wood eater is ready to assist or take over. Electric is only used for hot water or if we need to go away for a while. Just enough to keep the shack from freezing.

I'm done with fossil fuel for heating! Haven't used a drop since Dec 1994!

I'll give it a try.
It got down to -2 a few weeks back but knowing channel nine, they screwed up the forecast just like they did today's now!
Oh wait, Ray brewer just tried to say his own name.

Don2222 said:
New Hampshire Jim said:
Don;
Relax I live 5 miles east of you and have a weather station hooked up with the National Weather Service. It wont be any colder than 10 deg. Sunday night In our area so relax stack a few bags of pellets next to the stove and If you have to turn on the oil heat. What Is It going to cost for a few hours of warmth $3.00. Check my SIG and follow the link to get the real weather In our area. You are using channel 9 In Manchester NH and I think those temps are for the White Mountains

Hi Jim

I checked out your link and not so sure if I think the FairPoint Forecast is more accurate than TV Ch.9 I did a comparison like this before and found that news 9 with it's updates is a fairly accurate forecast.

See >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80247/P22/
Turns out Mike Hadad was right in this case. So after that I really do not go for web site forcasts as much. They can be totally wrong and noone cares! Weathermen like Mike do have some integrity and really do try to be more accurate!

Anyway, I froze your chart below here and I will set the Digital memory sunday night to save the overnight low and we will really see which is closer. OK?

If they have to keep changing their forecast they were anything but accurate in the first place and likely will not be accurate until after it is all said and done which is anything but a forecast ;-) .

Just sayin'

I am going for oil, don't know when. Right now 32 deg, too warm for oil, too lazy to haul lots of pellets.
Flip one switch and every room same temp, I balanced my oil system, adjusted registers. Tomorrow I will
give my stove a good cleaning, empty ash pan.

The pellet stove will heat almost all the house but will need a little fuel oil to reach the man cave. No way for the heat to get to me, gonna' have to work on that. :roll:

Northwoodneil said:
The pellet stove will heat almost all the house but will need a little fuel oil to reach the man cave. No way for the heat to get to me, gonna' have to work on that. :roll:

Nothin another stove won't cure. ;-)

smoke show said:
Northwoodneil said:

Nothin another stove won't cure. ;-)

Invite smoke show over, He's got enough hot air to warm several rooms! :cheese: hehe jkjk! O' he'll get even, he always does! poke! sorry buddy couldn't resist! hehe

They don't call'em Hot Ones for nothing. :lol: Only difference tonight will be the heat output setting on my control panel.

jdege said:
IREPLYING always need some oil as the master bedroom is to far from stove to heat. Cleaned last night and switched to burning Vermonts, should be good.

I picked up a couple bags of Vermonts today to try out. What an excellent pellet!! With the stove on #1 I am getting 210* convection temps. With Stove Chow on #1 setting I would get 170* and on #2 setting I would get 195*. I think I may have discovered next years pellet for me.

Hello

Latest Poll Results. Please keep voting. Press cast your vote if you have not done so. You can edit and cast vote and update.

See results below.

Looks like the Whole House Pellet Burners are big Winners here!!

Attachments

• Poll-HeatWholeHouseWithPelletsDownto-4Below.jpg
    Poll-HeatWholeHouseWithPelletsDownto-4Below.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 242
bring it on baby i'm ready i'll just pour some more trebiosnokies mix down the chute. It's 71 in the kitchen right now with the stove on 3. Stove is so hot I can't touch the top on 3. YIKES

go trebio :cheese:

Only one hot water baseboard running in an addition that is too far from the stove. Other than that it's all pellets. :exclaim:
Normally we run a programmable thermostat, and allow the temperature to go down to 68 °F after 10:30 PM.

This year we experimented, and found that on very cold night it works out better to override the thermostat, and maintain the daytime temperature all night.
The Castile will run all night, and the temperature will slowly drop, but recovers nicely early in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.