1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Snow and Bone Chilling -4 Deg F Artic Air coming this weekend - Will u need Backup heat? What Kind?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Forcast is - 4 Degrees F for Monday Morning - Will you just heat with Just wood pellets?

1. Yes - Pellet stove(s) provides enough heat. No Fossil Fuels or Elect Heat!

99.1%
  2. No - I will use some backup heat appliance. (Please Explain)

0.9%
  1. letsblaze

letsblaze Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    40 minutes north of Grand Rapids
    Survived a 7 degree night last night. Started off at 11pm @72 turned down to 2 on feed on blower woke up at 3 to pee and its down to 69 so I went to 3. Woke up to 70 when I woke up for breakfast.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Lost power for a couple hours last night, fired up the K1 portable and the oil lamps, came back on before bedtime. Made sure the Rev fired back up, went to bed. 10 degrees out this morning, somewhere between a trace and a dusting of snow, so much for the blast and blizzard. Not complainin'.
  3. AndrewChurchill

AndrewChurchill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Vermont
    All pellets here. I have been running my pellet boiler all year long. I have probably used about 5 gallons of fuel oil this year when i've shut the PB down for cleaning.
  4. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    Come on this is winter after all..
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Well 71 in my livingroom this AM but went from 2 to 3 heat setting on the pellet stove to maintain the temp last night before bed!

Well Monday morning is still forecasted to be the coldest morning by TV Ch. # 9 Manchester NH but the revised temp is higher than the original forecast.

Forecasted Low Temp for Monday Morning!

TV Ch. # 9
    Original Revised
    -4 Deg F 5 Deg F

Fairpoint did not revise their foreast on the Web. I think they do not care to do more work. No One's Rep at Stake here!

Original
    22 Deg F

See updated charts below:
    So we will see?

Attached Files:

6. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    4 degrees this morning(-3ºF with wind chill). Stove never broke a sweat! Just burning shoulder pellets! Easy peasy even!
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    When I opened the drapes to the sliding glass deck door and took a look it was 6.1 and my birds were marching back and forth with picket signs that read, "Honk if you hate hard water".
  8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    You need a true auto clean one that continues the burn.
  9. smoke show

smoke show Guest

you running auto or manual?

whats your thermostat placement like?
  10. smoke show

smoke show Guest

set at 81 and coasts on 75 running auto.

must be running in hi or med hi?
  11. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Should da could da woould da. Clean on the fly and sweating here! ;-) And I aint even burning the good stuff even!

Let me at them Trebio's and I'll have to open the winda's! :cheese:
  12. DERUBIS

DERUBIS New Member

Loc:
    Laurel Mountains, Western Pa
    5 above, wind chill -13 no problem.I guess the ground hog was right 6 more weeks of winter.
  13. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I'll let you use a real stove when I upgrade to my furnace!
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Well..... Its about 73° now (set back to 70° at night) Furnace was on the rise in the pic.

The thing I love the most, is the even temps. Our room is still the coldest (about 1°, cant tell) but it only has one register that feeds into our Master Bath, then comes through the doorway, and finally out of our room (lots of square ft there). The thing that keeps the temp even is that Tjernlund Aireshare. We just close the door and flip it on at night..... Wa-Laa

Its about 1° warmer in the kitchen/living room area, because that register is the best flowing. But it has to heat both of those rooms, as they are connected basically.

Otherwise, no complaints, ……… O.K..... I have one, I miss the Fire upstairs. Granted I am downstairs a couple times a day feeding the Wood eater, but I do miss the Quad purring along. Oh well... Just me griping. ;-P

The furnace thing is nice... Nice indeed!

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      98.4 KB
      Views:
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    ^^^^^SHOW OFF!^^^^^^ :cheese: hehe!

Not this year maybe next. I have extended the time my Omega hangs out down there. Still hoping Enviro comes out with a furnace.

I think mid life is calling again. Might sell off the 2 boats I got now and get one that does both big/small lakes. Priorities, toys come first! hehe!
  16. Threerun

Threerun Member

Loc:
    Montana
    It dropped to zero here last night. I didn't notice until we went out for a late night pizza dinner, lol.
  17. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    just an update for you!

3 days of below zero wind chills with the regular temp at zero and -10 to -15 at night and no supplement heat needed.

The St Criox did just fine and we didn't even turn it up. Just kept it on the medium heat setting number 3. house stayed at 73 in the stove room and 65 in ajacent rooms.
  18. earl764

earl764 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Been using only the stove at setting 4 of 6.

Keeping the house at a toasty 62.
  19. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Since when is 62 toasty?
  20. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Wifey would be heading for the skillet cupboard! 62 ain't even warm. This is warm! Actually hot for me and my son, But warm for the wifey.

Attached Files:

21. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

80° and rising in the basement (just reloaded the old wood eater) about 75° in the Main part of the house (Living room/Kitchen). The wood stove really helps to keep the furnace from calling for heat. ("Our Room" is now the Living room, at night its the bedroom, evening its the living room/ Temp of the room the unit is in)

It still kicks on every 10-15 minutes (once it reaches 175°) then runs the blower for about 5-10 minutes (back down to 115°) . So its on about 3-4 times an hour anyways. Helping to keep the heat loss time to a minimum.

Stat hasn't called for heat since early this morning. But is 26° outside now and the Sun is shining through the windows.

Attached Files:

22. Dodge

Dodge Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pa.
    My house is a 1660 sq. ft tri-level with a OHW 3 zone system. My pellet stove is in the basement, so I try heating 4 floors on #3 setting. Doen't work that well for the top level as the oil kicks in. I have a 20k btu kerosene heater for power outages and usually buy only 5 gals. for the season. Tonight, with the new snow pack it will be arouind 10. I will turn the setting to 1 to keep the basement warm and burn a tank full of kero and the whole hosue will be toasty.
  23. earl764

earl764 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Anything above 68 in the winter is far too warm for us.

We keep the house at 68 in the summer.

I grew up w/ the house set at 65 w/ baseboard hot water heat. I would crack the window during the winter to get the room cold.

This habit helped a lot when I bought my house and had to pay for oil.

At night I'll put the stove down to 60. Extra blankets on the bed and a few cats.
  24. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)

How many tons do you burn or how many bags a day on average
  25. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Was 2 bags a day the last 3 seasons. But this year 1 bag a day is the most. With a 1/3-1/2 being more of an average. I have only burned 1.5 ton so far this season. But I have burned about 2 cord of wood. The pellet furnace in the basement helps to pull that wood heat upstairs.

You burn wood also.... How many bags have you burned? How much wood?