Snow around your chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Does the snow around your chimney melt faster than it does on the rest of the roof?
If it does, does it mean that your house or roof isn't well-insulated, or is that to be expected?

I do notice that ours does melt faster near the chimney. It's an interior chimney, and I don't have a blockoff plate. It's also a 60 yr old masonry house and IS lacking in insulation (in the roof and elsewhere.)

It's a good masonry chimney, and we use an insulated flex liner, so I am not worried about safety. Efficiency concerns me a little, but I know there's a LOT of stuff we can/should do to make the house tighter overall.
This shows the approx 3" of snow, melted on the flashing on the east side of chimney today.

Attachments

• snow roof.jpg
    snow roof.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Not necessarily. Most building codes require a three inch clearance for combustibles to be kept away from the chimney; framing, insulation, etc. About the only thing you can do is to cover the gam between framing and the chimney with some silicone and flashing to limit air movement/penetration.

Also realize that the brick absorbes heat and radiates it back out which will cause some melt. The outside flashing can also reflect sun and melt snow in specific spots too.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
it is not 3" it is one inch and with an insulated liner it is almost always 0" but that is determined by the liner manufacturer. also I have been a sweep for 7 yrs now and I have only seen a few that had that 1" most have little to none. not that it is right but that is what we see.

it is not 3" it is one inch and with an insulated liner it is almost always 0" but that is determined by the liner manufacturer. also I have been a sweep for 7 yrs now and I have only seen a few that had that 1" most have little to none. not that it is right but that is what we see.

Bholler is correct. It's one inch. I was thinking one thing and typed another.

understandable 3" would be huge that would be really hard to work around

Status
Not open for further replies.