Snow day #2 for the kids. Holy crap! What a storm this turned into. No power all day. New pics added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Luckily for me I have had the last two days off. Snow day on Thursday because of freezing rain, sleet, and snow. Same for today. The freezing rain stuck to the trees, and the snow came, and stuck to the trees. Then the wind came. And today more snow. About five inches. And the limbs started falling, and kept falling. Lost power about 10am. Came back on about 7:30pm. It was a lot of work today, shoveling, generator stuff, etc.,etc.,etc. But, it was a good test for my system. Generator with transfer switch wired to the following. Well pump, oil boiler w/circs., wood boiler w/circs, refridgerator, lights and outlets in boiler room. The real bad thing about it was the damage it did to our trees in our yard. The branches on the pines were snapping like crazy. Big ones too. The two beautiful white birch in the front yard, that were about 35 feet tall are likely ruined. Top snapped right off on one of them. The other top is literally touching the ground right now. It still has not broke yet. Lost some of it's braches though. It will be a huge clean up job in the spring. I must have lost at least 40 limbs off the pines. I will try to post take and post some pics tomorrow. Glad it is over. I hope. Getting colder tonight and through the weekend. We need some warmer temps now in order to get the ice and snow to melt off the trees and let them get their branches back up in the air. We may loose more with the wind.

Attachments

• DSCF1848 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1848 (1024x768).jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 207
That sucks. What a mess!

I was in the middle of a kitchen install today in Canton. Town lost power around lunch time(thank god for cordless tools) we were able to get a good share of it finished before it started getting dark. We had to run for a few parts twice . It always amazes me how well traffic flows. Most people are polite and a system starts to form at all the dark stop lights .It has been years since I went shopping with a flashlight at the hardware store.

Yup, a serious mess flatbed. Ncountry, are you from Canton area? I am just outside of Ogdensburg. I am going to take some pictures while I am out shoveling in a little bit. I need to get everything scrapped down and cleared out. 3 °F on the back porch right now. Wood Gun boiler is humming along nicely. Gotta love wood heat!

Pretty. But tough on the trees. Will make for a lot of work in the spring. Tough to see how many limbs are down. The snow is covering a lot of them now!

Attachments

• DSCF1846 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1846 (800x600).jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 231
And more.....

Attachments

• DSCF1847 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1847 (1024x768).jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 228
It looks pretty, but I'm glad that's your yard and not mine. You have my total sympathy for the clean up. The last big ice storm here did massive damage. Our trees rarely see this kind of weather and were particularly vulnerable. It was like a war zone with 6" limbs snapping off the top of 150ft trees, then taking out the limbs below it as it crashed through them. I eventually had to take out a couple big trees. They were completely stripped on one side. This went on for many hours and when it melted, it revealed a huge mess. We lost power for 6.5 days in that one.

That must of been the ice storm of 1998. I think it was January.? Does that sound right? That was a bad one for us as well. I was without power for 7 days that storm. Luckily I had a generator. I ran to the local WAL MART and bought one the morning the power went out. I was worried I would not get one, so I called them and reserved one with my credit card. Made sure I was the there as soon as they opened the doors. When I got there, a line of people were waiting by the generators they had left. All three of them. I had reserved the biggest one they had left. That decision saved my house. Water heat and no wood stove at that time. Many were without power for 2-3 weeks around here out in the country. Just to much damage for them to get to quick. And the larger population areas get brought back on-line first. Only makes sense. All the more important you are prepared if you live in the country. Like most of us are. I live just 3 miles outside of a small city of 10,000. The city was back on line within a day and a half.

Attachments

• DSCF1850 (1280x960).jpg
    DSCF1850 (1280x960).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 192
Yup, That sounds about right. We are near the end of the wire too. In fall of 97 I had purchased a genny thinking maybe it was a mistake. I thought it would be years before I ever needed it. A few months later it saved our food and helped save the neighbor's too.

Gasifier said:
Yup, a serious mess flatbed. Ncountry, are you from Canton area? I am just outside of Ogdensburg. I am going to take some pictures while I am out shoveling in a little bit. I need to get everything scrapped down and cleared out. 3 °F on the back porch right now. Wood Gun boiler is humming along nicely. Gotta love wood heat!

I live in the town of Lisbon 2 miles out of morley. It was very cold today ,busy running the rds trying to find part for the pellet stove.Power came back on yesterday evening 4 hours later the pellet stove quit. I didn't have any luck finding parts so I cobbled it together .I think it will hold long enough for new parts to come in.NPR said 5-25 below tonight my guess is 17?

I live in the town of Lisbon 2 miles out of morley. It was very cold today ,busy running the rds trying to find part for the pellet stove.Power came back on yesterday evening 4 hours later the pellet stove quit. I didn’t have any luck finding parts so I cobbled it together .I think it will hold long enough for new parts to come in.NPR said 5-25 below tonight my guess is 17?

No sh!t Ncountry. Geessh, were practically neighbors. Small world isn't it. A lot of us on here in N.Y. state. Right now, 8:36, it is 1 according to my new Christmas present. One of those small accurite wireless weather station for the house. 70 in living room of the house.

BeGreen said:
Yup, That sounds about right. We are near the end of the wire too. In fall of 97 I had purchased a genny thinking maybe it was a mistake. I thought it would be years before I ever needed it. A few months later it saved our food and helped save the neighbor's too.

Begreen. I guess I needed more caffeine before I got on Hearth.com when I compared your Ice Storm to ours. :lol: I forgot you are out on the West Coast. :lol: Don't worry about me. I will be alright. I should have remembered that. You are out by my sister who lives around Kirkland/Redmond area. I think I already told you that in another thread. But we can both relate to how important those generators can be. Living in the country with a well system with four kids, I do not want to be without heat and water pressure at the very least. Pretty nice last night when we cooked cheeseburgers on the grill for dinner in candle light, and then the kids could sack out and watch a movie on the TV with a DVD player! All in 70 degrees. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.