Snow in Seattle, and then ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine he's pretty miserable. They got a lot more snow. 18-22" and then the freezing rain. We are with power, but barely. It's gone on and off so much that I only have the basic loads running and have turned off the rest to protect them. Thank god for the UPSes protecting our electronics and keeping the computers running. The wood stove is keeping us warm and temps are eventually supposed to warm up today. It's been 34 °F and holding since I got up at sunrise which is not enough to release the trees from their ice jackets. It's supposed to go up to 46 by tonight, but so far we haven't started warming up. This ice storm caught them by surprise, so we'll see.

Here's a couple more shots. The T6 loaded up with cherry and a stick of locust. Boy does that cherry smell nice! And then a shot that sums up our weather. Icicles and a fuchsia still blooming?! What a whacky winter this has been.

In the background is our eucalyptus which is fairing better than it did in the ice storm of '96. We cut back all the all the pendulous branches this fall which turned out to be a very good thing. There was one extending about 30 feet horizontally over the house power wires that could have been a big trouble maker in this storm.

Attachments

• IMG_1071web.jpg
    IMG_1071web.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1070web.jpg
    IMG_1070web.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 210
Eucalpytus . . . I'm still blown away by the thought of hummingbirds hanging around in the winter . . . that's something we just don't see . . . summer time only.

Since we all like pictures I thought I would throw up a couple more. We are still without power, even in the cities,but the only driving problem is stopping at all the traffic lights. I am on a shared well with three families and 4-80 gallon expansion tanks but one farmer must have tried to fill a cow trough since the water pressure went away at about 8:30 within a half hour of the well's genset being shut down for the night. It was an early night, good sleep with so little noise.

The power company says 250,000 "people" (maybe houses?) without power and to expect that to stay through the weekend.

Attachments

• IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 206
No stop lights huh? Just remember . . . whoever gets their first or whoever is biggest wins . . . ;)

BeGreen said:
Here's a couple more shots. The T6 loaded up with cherry and a stick of locust. Boy does that cherry smell nice! And then a shot that sums up our weather. Icicles and a fuchsia still blooming?! What a whacky winter this has been.

In the background is our eucalyptus which is fairing better than it did in the ice storm of '96. We cut back all the all the pendulous branches this fall which turned out to be a very good thing. There was one extending about 30 feet horizontally over the house power wires that could have been a big trouble maker in this storm.

What?? That's not a loaded T6....You gotta learn how to pack that thing with 2 solid rows and very few air gaps then sit back and watch it go :lol:

Really cool pics of the hummingbird! I am surprised they stick around during the winter. It did look a little depressed though like it might want to come in and warm up by that stove.

That load was a 700F fire. I had to back it off because at 74F the living room was getting too warm. 72F around the corner in the hallway. Cruised at 650 for quite a while.

I just checked the radar and it looks like we are about an hour away from the edge of the front coming it. It should bring rain and warmth to make this a meltdown mess. Temps up to 36F already, power has stayed on for 90 minutes continuously. woo hoo!

Don't forget the wind BG, the wind will be our next problem. Gusts to 40mph are predicted. Hopefully the trees will be released from their ice shells by then. I have to assume that if the trees can barely stay upright with just the ice shell, that ice shell plus 40 mph gusts will create even more fallen trees.

Highbeam said:
Since we all like pictures I thought I would throw up a couple more. We are still without power, even in the cities,but the only driving problem is stopping at all the traffic lights. I am on a shared well with three families and 4-80 gallon expansion tanks but one farmer must have tried to fill a cow trough since the water pressure went away at about 8:30 within a half hour of the well's genset being shut down for the night. It was an early night, good sleep with so little noise.

The power company says 250,000 "people" (maybe houses?) without power and to expect that to stay through the weekend.

Great picture to show why covering the tops of you stacks is sometimes very useful. :)

Talked to my BinL yesterday. He is out of the state working but his wife and daughters had been without power for 2 days. They have a generator and fireplace so the girls are doing ok. Supposed to rain the rest of the week up there. Has it started yet? Is it helping or hurting the situation?

Highbeam said:
Don't forget the wind BG, the wind will be our next problem. Gusts to 40mph are predicted. Hopefully the trees will be released from their ice shells by then. I have to assume that if the trees can barely stay upright with just the ice shell, that ice shell plus 40 mph gusts will create even more fallen trees.

And the ground will likely be saturated by the time the wind hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.