Snow in Seattle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Not a big deal by east coast standards, but we don't see a lot of the white stuff. Up to 14" in Bellingham (chimneysweeponline's home) Going down in the 20's tomorrow night. Very cold by our standards. This system will be in your neighborhood by next weekend. Don't get caught hustling to move the plants (fuschias) inside and covering outdoor faucets in the dark like me.

I was watvching the weather channell and saw you had that artic blastt Really I hope it moderates before it gets here

elkimmeg said:
I was watvching the weather channell and saw you had that artic blastt Really I hope it moderates before it gets here
Its a coming!
Its been in the 50's-60's here in the midwest and looking to get highs in the 20's and low teens as of Wednesday and Thursday.

Well make sure to sent on East after we get our 2 day fill of the cold blast.
Nothing like sharing aye BeGreen, be more that willing to to keep that ole cold front rolling on to our neighbors ( out East :cheese: )

yep, I got a good 4" of that wet heavy snow at my house, I was building a wood shed (shelter) during it. Got it all framed and the top put on.

Ya. I wish it wasn't so wet. With the cold temps coming that means ice. I like snow, but not ice.

Yep, we got hit pretty hard here in Bellingham. A foot of snow at my house (can't get down the driveway to get to work today, darn it). Some friends farther North in Blaine (right next to the Canadian border) got 18", with drifts nearly three feet.

Sooo, stuck at home for the day, my Pacific Energy Spectrum doing a wonderful job keeping the house at 70 in 21 degree outdoor temperatures. Winter wonderland views out every window, with the fir trees that surround my house all laden with snow. Goes to show, even snow clouds have a silver lining.

Woo boy, 21 degrees. I guess that is a harbinger of what we'll be seeing later on. They say we have another cold push coming in this afternoon.

Are you complaining, or reveling in the heating challenge?!?!?!?! I wish it would get colder - makes me love the stove even more!

Glad most of it stayed up your way. Only got a few inches here in the lower Sierra, about a foot up on top Im told. Cold though, highs in the low 30s. Not a good time to be working on the inside of a house with no heat as yet. One more inspection and I temp install the old Fisher for the winter then install the quad 4300 up to code this spring.

Dylan said:
Thanx for the warning...I gotta get out and UNcover my woodpile.

Yeah. When all that cardboard gets wet it is really hard to light.

Snow in the backyard now. The storm front came in with a bang, literally about 5 pm. Thunder, lightning and ice pellets. Now it's windy and getting much colder. 9 degrees up where Tom lives. Go east across the Cascades and your in zero temps. Get ready, coming east soon. This is a cold one.

Drove from Boise to Salt Lake yesterday. Weather threatened the whole way, but only about ten miles of much. We're supposed to have 20's for highs and teens for lows next four days, 6-7 inches in the valley, but we have feet in the mountains. When I got home, it took about ten minutes for the stove to begin heating. Woke up early to make sure it was still perk-ing. Keeping things at a comfortable sleeping temp. Guess I'll get the real test tomorrow.

Oh man, I bet Seattle drivers are a ball when there's snow on the road. And all those hills have to be pretty entertaining. We got about 1 1/2 feet over the weekend, life is good, spending some time on the snowmobile. Only problem is my stove is due any day (see my old threads for woes), and I'm not sure they will be able to climb the hill to my place to deliver it. We'll find a way.

Bri

Got that right Bri. With our hills and drivers that don't know how to drive in snow - we call it "Bowling for Buicks" :)

Lots of ice on the roads today. Record number of school closures in the region. We're burning 24/7 and staying home. I grew up back east and at times had to drive for a living, so I'm comfortable with the stuff, but the other drivers are what is really dangerous. Especially with ice on the roads. They think their SUV is king of the road and ready for anything - anythng that is except for gravity and inertia.

BeGreen said:
Got that right Bri. With our hills and drivers that don't know how to drive in snow - we call it "Bowling for Buicks" :)

Lots of ice on the roads today. Record number of school closures in the region. We're burning 24/7 and staying home. I grew up back east and at times had to drive for a living, so I'm comfortable with the stuff, but the other drivers are what is really dangerous. Especially with ice on the roads. They think their SUV is king of the road and ready for anything - anythng that is except for gravity and inertia.
I know what you mean BG - I'm hard core, and ride my sidecar equipped motorcycle year round. While a sidecar can handle most any kind of road surface better than anything else on the highway, you do have to be very concious of how the physics work so you can USE the inertia... The SUV types just don't get it, and you haven't lived until you've ridden your motorcycle past some idiot who has gotten his 4wd stuck, blow the horn and wave... :p I figure it's good for pressure testing their circulatory system - they want to get out and kill :vampire: , but they can't move 'cause their stuck....

Gooserider

There it is...

Attachments

• acttemp_600x405[1].jpg
    acttemp_600x405[1].jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 272
I am in Everett, just north of Seattle. The whole state is in a serious deep freeze, They are calling for snow Wednesday evening / Thursday. Than back to normal temps around the weekend

wahoowad said:
There it is...

Great shot. Coming to your neighborhood soon. Check the antifreeze. Winter's here.

wahoowad said:
There it is...

Whoa! When it gets here if the Englander doesn't get the job done I will stop in Charlottesville, on the way back from strangling somebody in Monroe, to warm up by your F3.

I'll take care of the dog while I am there.

Here in WI its been warm (mid to upper 50's) and raining for a couple of days. Finally supposed to get cold on Thursday afternoon, can't wait to put her through her paces!

Status
Not open for further replies.