Snow, rain & freezing rain on the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chuck the Canuck

Feeling the Heat
Yes, the weather dude is calling for 5 cm of snow and about 15 mm of rain to start tomorrow afternoon. So I'm thinking, that's gonna make a heck of a mess in my wood processing area, and just to top it off, during a rain/snow event earlier this week, a bunch of logs rolled off of the woodpile, thereby blocking access to the wood racks for my little tractor/snow machine. So there's nothing else for it, they gotta be cut up and moved into the holding racks, and it's gotta be done today. I also decided that I really should cover the rounds and the split wood rack (where the split rounds will eventually end up), so it doesn't all turn into a big frozen train wreck... By 3:00 this afternoon I was finally free to get at it....

Unfortunately it was slow going, especially because some of the logs have a bit of mud on them, buried under a layer of snow/ice, of course, and no matter how much I scraped and brushed the snow/ice/mud patches (basically trying to completely clean and detail the logs), I couldn't seem to get it all (specially when it started getting dark), and I ended up having to sharpen the chain twice in order to get the job done. I started to wonder, at one point, if my efforts were to be doomed, when I inadvertently dislodged an extra batch of 20' logs by mistake about half way through my chainsaw fun, and just to add to my growing sense of urgency, I had to halt operations between 5:00-7:00 to drive me dear old father-in-law home and have a bite of supper with the family... :-(
Nonetheless, I grimly persevered, and as of 9:00 this evening I can happily say,

It is done! :)

And best of all, I documented my efforts for posterity.... :)

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa…! I had no idea you had those kinda stacks. I was feelin' for until I saw the pics. Now it's just jealousy.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Whoa whoa whoa…! I had no idea you had those kinda stacks. I was feelin' for until I saw the pics. Now it's just jealousy.
LOL. Yes it's pretty much the Lap O' Luxury hereabouts... [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Damn that’s a lot of wood and a very nice setup. How many cords you have at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that’s a lot of wood and a very nice setup. How many cords you have at the moment?

Hey there Dug, and thanks for the compliment. As far as quantity goes, so far I've got 12 cord of wood put up for customers buying bundles next summer (although I was aiming for between 15 & 20); I have capacity for 20 customer cords altogether, laid out in 4 rows of 5 cord each. I also have 3 more cord racked up (2.9 to be honest) for my own heating needs next winter (2019/2020). I got myself a good cord of rounds cut up between yesterday and today, so hopefully I can boost my bundle stockpile a bit more before we get too much snow.... Cheers

Hey there Dug, and thanks for the compliment. As far as quantity goes, so far I've got 12 cord of wood put up for customers buying bundles next summer (although I was aiming for between 15 & 20); I have capacity for 20 customer cords altogether, laid out in 4 rows of 5 cord each. I also have 3 more cord racked up (2.9 to be honest) for my own heating needs next winter (2019/2020). I got myself a good cord of rounds cut up between yesterday and today, so hopefully I can boost my bundle stockpile a bit more before we get too much snow.... Cheers

Right on, I hope the weather treats you well! The snow is just starting to clear off the ground from all of the November snow we got. I’m all set on wood processing for the winter but I still need to pick up a whole bunch of leaves... fingers crossed

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck