Snow Started Before I Was Done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrCRXHF

Burning Hunk
Apr 28, 2008
Mid, Michigan
Well last night the wet snow started i wanted to get all the wood off the lawn before it snowed but with work and installing the boiler i ran out of time.

DSC_0064.jpg

I hear ya. Luckily I have this years wood under the car port or under a tarp ready to go. I just split 2 cords last weekend for next year that are sitting in a pile cover by snow. Oh well, it will all melt in the next couple days and should have plenty of days to get that all moved and stacked.

Yes, it was a mess this morning. We got 6" of it that I measured and no doubt some had melted after all the rain we had already got. Couldn't even see out our driveway this morning so had to get the saw out before I could even push it around.

get out the saw?

Tonight i have to take the MMM off the kubota and do the years first snow move. If it only got a little warmer it would have melted.

WOW
wind direction is easy to see.
Painted the sides of the trees. ( & the log splitter beam & hoses)
Was the wind from the South east ?
Great picture though, of yucky wet snow. Hope it melts for you soon.

JrCRXHF said:
get out the saw?

Tonight i have to take the MMM off the kubota and do the years first snow move. If it only got a little warmer it would have melted.

Yes, I could hardly even walk down our driveway which is about 100 yards long. I shook limbs to get snow and ice off but there were some that were broken and had to be sawed so I could move them.

The first storm just missed use. But it did get to 22° last night.
It tracked 75 miles east to Prince William Sound & is hitting Valdez, to get 2' of snow there. (Normal snow for them)
Friday another one is to hit us. Rain & snow Sunday. Gonna be a skating rink, rain hitting the ground that has been around 0° for weeks.

Looks like you guys "Got Winter" finally.
I saw that Indiana got hit pretty hard too.

Dennis, I visualize your driveway looking like Zap's trail picture after the snow. A tunnel, bent over, snow covered limbs & small trees. Picture?
You were the first to mentions the "S" word :)
Slow & easy*** Be safe!

I got stuck in that storm on my way back from Detroit yesterday. It was raining in Okemos and the snow started around the 96/127 split. Came to a dead stop at exit 104. Took me 1.5 hours to make it to Ionia where the snow let up. Roads were dry when I made it to Saranac. I wasn't quite prepared for that much snow on the drive home.

Just walk around the yard swinging a maul at any lump you find. If the maul hits the ground - all snow. If you hear branches cracking - shrubbery. Metallic clang - old bucket. If you hear the sound of wood splitting - you hit a round.

Uggg, I still have a bunch of BL & HL in a pile that needs to be stacked, plus a TON of rounds to be stacked. I just haven't had the time before the weather. It looks like I'll be out there doing it this weekend despite the next round of snow were supposed to get..........

right now i need to get the boiler running and fix the weird noise that is going on in the front of the wifes cummins axle.

The wood is going to have to wait most winters we get a good couple warms days before all out cold maybe i will have time then to finish up.

Last winter the kids and I made plans to spend a weekend pulling in wood stacked on my property in various locations. First snowfall hit on Friday, 7". So much for our plans. We hauled wood in by sled for the rest of the winter.

This year, I have almost three cords stacked under my porches and decks, easily accessed, and another four cords in various degrees of seasoning stacked near the house.

You do what you can as you can, and the rest of the time you make do with what you have to. Hope your snow melts and you get a second chance with this, but if you don't, you'll get by. And next year will be better.

Weird weather we got none up north here. A little cool but no snow yet. I guess this makes up for other years. I shouldn't have said that :)

I am not worried about moving my wood closer to the house for burning. I have a Kubota BX tractor with bar tires and Loader. If i want to move a lot at once i will use the wifes Cummins truck with 6" lift and 37" tires.

But the sled thing sounds like a good idea.

bogydave said:
The first storm just missed use. But it did get to 22° last night.
It tracked 75 miles east to Prince William Sound & is hitting Valdez, to get 2' of snow there. (Normal snow for them)
Friday another one is to hit us. Rain & snow Sunday. Gonna be a skating rink, rain hitting the ground that has been around 0° for weeks.

Looks like you guys "Got Winter" finally.
I saw that Indiana got hit pretty hard too.

Dennis, I visualize your driveway looking like Zap's trail picture after the snow. A tunnel, bent over, snow covered limbs & small trees. Picture?
You were the first to mentions the "S" word :)
Slow & easy*** Be safe!

Sounds like Valdez could be in Northern MI Dave! I surely don't envy you with rain coming on frozen ground.

That picture of Zaps' is just almost exactly what our driveway looked like. Most have stood back up now except for what I had to cut. I figured the snow would all be gone too by now but it is not except for where the guys are skidding logs.

The weather pattern sure changed here.
I don't know if it means you are going to get winter or not. The rain then heavy wet snow mad a real mess here.
My drive way was easy to get down to the asphalt before the rain. Not now.
The snow on top made better traction than if it was all rain.
The next storm (Sat & Sun)is supposed to bring temps around 40° & more rain. Then turn cold again after that.
27° today, snow off & on & around 3" forecast for tonight. House to 74° & long burn times again.
I guess it's safe for you to use the word "snow" now. Winter has started for your area. :)
At least I can go outside & not look like the "Pillsbury dough boy" all bundled up .
Ice under the snow after I plowed:

Attachments

• 100_6844.jpg
    100_6844.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 274
Here in Maine no snow is in the forecast . . . maybe some rain early next week . . . so far this Fall is shaping up to be very, very mild for the most part . . . even with the early Halloween snow storm . . . which is fine . . . just means a delay for me with sledding and more time to cut firewood as I don't tend to cut much in the snow.

Probably a good thing that the weather has changed . . . my sister and brother in law are making the big move to their new house in Wasilla this weekend . . . I imagine it will be much better for them to not have to deal with the frigid cold while loading and unloading their stuff.

Jake, we got another 2" last night. Supposed to rain tomorrow though.

Backwoods Savage said:

Yup, rain to the southeast of us (Lower Mich), but we're going to get hit tomorrow night. Just in time for muzzleloader season tho :)

Good luck Pat.

Pat53 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yup, rain to the southeast of us (Lower Mich), but we're going to get hit tomorrow night. Just in time for muzzleloader season tho :)

Keep your powder dry :)
Good luck

bogydave, I'm kicking myself in the ass for moving back to MI. I miss living in AK. I get weather reports all the time from my in-laws. Funny thing is, when we moved back to MI, it took some time to quit calling spring, "Break Up." When I told people here in MI that I caught about a 35lb King Salmon in a creek, they thought I was nuts. I had to explain the difference between a MI creek & an Alaskan Creek. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.