Snow taking over in Alaska

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Valdez in September. I've traveled a fair bit it is easily in the top 5 most beautiful places I've been, maybe 3. When we left Valdez (by car) the pass we traveled over was calling for a 1' of snow that night. We basically made it out just in time. That was to be the first snow of the year.

The pictures of the boats is the harbor for the little boats in Valdez. The mountain picture is the view from the top of the pass where they got a 1' snow after we left.

Attachments

• Valdez Harbor.jpg
    Valdez Harbor.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Valdez Pass 2.jpg
    Valdez Pass 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 279
The picture of the mountain with the road at the bottom is the top of the pass. That road has to be 1,000' elevation feet down. The picture does it no justice.
The prettiest picture is Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, it's on the north end of the road to Valdez. Drive 1 mile. Stop. Marvel. Take more pictures. Repeat. I swear that 100 mile trip took us 6 hours!
The fishing picture is me at the hatchery at Valdez. I'm not a fisherman but when you can see the salmon in the water I went and bought a $20 fishing rod and a six pack of beer! It was great. No, it was GREAT!

Attachments

• Valdez Pass.jpg
    Valdez Pass.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 250
  • fishing at the hatchery.jpg
    fishing at the hatchery.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 281
  • On the way to Valdez.jpg
    On the way to Valdez.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 270
mbcijim said:
The picture of the mountain with the road at the bottom is the top of the pass. That road has to be 1,000' elevation feet down. The picture does it no justice.
The prettiest picture is Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, it's on the north end of the road to Valdez. Drive 1 mile. Stop. Marvel. Take more pictures. Repeat. I swear that 100 mile trip took us 6 hours!
The fishing picture is me at the hatchery at Valdez. I'm not a fisherman but when you can see the salmon in the water I went and bought a $20 fishing rod and a six pack of beer! It was great. No, it was GREAT!

Hehheh . . . I had a similar feeling . . . never fished and never really cared to fish . . . but when you see the size of those salmon and how plentiful they are it will almost make a fisherman out of anyone.

Great pics by the way.

be nice if they shared some with us. frigan middle of January and the whopping 4 inches of snow we had is now melting thanks to 35 degrees and rain.

this winter blowz...

We came close to moving there in the 70's and now I wish we'd have grabbed the chance when we could have. There are many beautiful places in Alaska.

sebring said:
Why would anyone live there?

Because its awesome there !!!! O ya and some people are occasionally born in Alaska. :lol:

Pete1983 said:
sebring said:

Because its awesome there !!!! O ya and some people are occasionally born in Alaska. :lol:

Well yeah . . . what else would you do when the temps are negative numbers and the snow is howling outside . . . I figure there are just a few options at that point . . . besides drinking. ;) :)

Pete1983 said:
sebring said:

It is Awesome there. I keep revisiting this thread to look at my own dam pictures (sorry for the hijack). It is so different from the lower 48. If I thought I could live with the winters I would be so there. It is an outdoorsman's paradise.

I like AK a lot too, to visit that is, but not to live year round. I like sun and just don't have the polar genes for there. Fortunately we still have wilderness in this state.

Attachments

• IMG_0467_web.jpg
    IMG_0467_web.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0460_web.jpg
    IMG_0460_web.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 140
I love Alaska . . . in the summer . . . which is when I'm hoping to fly up to see my sister, brother-in-law, Bogy Dave and any other Alaskan Hearth.com members who care to meet me in person.

Alaska summers & fall are one of the main reasons we're still here.
3 grand kids may be the biggest reason we're here in the winter :)
I'll admit the winters get longer every year now, staying busy & getting outside is important.
This cold period is one of the worst since I've been here in over 30 years (longest anyway).
These colder than normal temp are going to make "cabin fever" bad this year. Folks not able to get outside as much.
Glad we're getting more snow tough, if winter happens, the snow is the good part.

Pros & cons to every place. So far, more "pros" than "cons" for me to be in Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.