1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Snow taking over in Alaska

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by WellSeasoned, Jan 17, 2012.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sebring

sebring Member

Loc:
    PA
    Why would anyone live there?
  3. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    I was in Valdez in September. I've traveled a fair bit it is easily in the top 5 most beautiful places I've been, maybe 3. When we left Valdez (by car) the pass we traveled over was calling for a 1' of snow that night. We basically made it out just in time. That was to be the first snow of the year.

The pictures of the boats is the harbor for the little boats in Valdez. The mountain picture is the view from the top of the pass where they got a 1' snow after we left.

Attached Files:

4. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    The picture of the mountain with the road at the bottom is the top of the pass. That road has to be 1,000' elevation feet down. The picture does it no justice.
    The prettiest picture is Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, it's on the north end of the road to Valdez. Drive 1 mile. Stop. Marvel. Take more pictures. Repeat. I swear that 100 mile trip took us 6 hours!
    The fishing picture is me at the hatchery at Valdez. I'm not a fisherman but when you can see the salmon in the water I went and bought a $20 fishing rod and a six pack of beer! It was great. No, it was GREAT!

Attached Files:

5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hehheh . . . I had a similar feeling . . . never fished and never really cared to fish . . . but when you see the size of those salmon and how plentiful they are it will almost make a fisherman out of anyone.

Great pics by the way.
  6. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    be nice if they shared some with us. frigan middle of January and the whopping 4 inches of snow we had is now melting thanks to 35 degrees and rain.

this winter blowz...
  7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I would live there in a heartbeat. Even with the snow and winter challenges.

-SF
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We came close to moving there in the 70's and now I wish we'd have grabbed the chance when we could have. There are many beautiful places in Alaska.
  9. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Because its awesome there !!!! O ya and some people are occasionally born in Alaska. :lol:
  11. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well yeah . . . what else would you do when the temps are negative numbers and the snow is howling outside . . . I figure there are just a few options at that point . . . besides drinking. ;) :)
  12. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    It is Awesome there. I keep revisiting this thread to look at my own dam pictures (sorry for the hijack). It is so different from the lower 48. If I thought I could live with the winters I would be so there. It is an outdoorsman's paradise.
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I like AK a lot too, to visit that is, but not to live year round. I like sun and just don't have the polar genes for there. Fortunately we still have wilderness in this state.

Attached Files:

14. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I love Alaska . . . in the summer . . . which is when I'm hoping to fly up to see my sister, brother-in-law, Bogy Dave and any other Alaskan Hearth.com members who care to meet me in person.
  15. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Alaska summers & fall are one of the main reasons we're still here.
    3 grand kids may be the biggest reason we're here in the winter :)
    I'll admit the winters get longer every year now, staying busy & getting outside is important.
    This cold period is one of the worst since I've been here in over 30 years (longest anyway).
    These colder than normal temp are going to make "cabin fever" bad this year. Folks not able to get outside as much.
    Glad we're getting more snow tough, if winter happens, the snow is the good part.

Pros & cons to every place. So far, more "pros" than "cons" for me to be in Alaska.