Snow, Wood, Deer Tracks, and a Snowmobile Crash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quads said:
Sometime Friday night another snowmobiler missed the corner in the pine plantation and went way out into the trees. He had to ride a long ways down through the rows to get back on the trail even. I didn't see any blood on the snow, but I bet the guy filled his pants.

There were at least half a dozen snowmobile accidents with injuries over the weekend, in just our county. I heard on the news that there were at least three fatalities in the state this weekend. It's not like the old days when I used to ride snowmobile. I was scared to death at 50mph! My favorite old snowmobile went 35mph, wide open, downhill, and that was plenty fast enough for me. Nowadays it seems like to many people it's a race from one tavern to the next. A lot of the cutting and splitting I have done this winter has been within earshot of the trail and it sounds like a busy airport runway....

quads, it sounds like you might have had the same type snowmobile as one of my old ones! I was never into the speed thing as that seemed to distract one from enjoying the beauty of the land you were passing through. An occasional burst of speed is okay now and then but to ride that way all the time is just not for me.

Photos taken from the back of a snowmobile.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 223
yooperwife said:
Beautiful!

firefighterjake said:
quads said:
Sometime Friday night another snowmobiler missed the corner in the pine plantation and went way out into the trees. He had to ride a long ways down through the rows to get back on the trail even. I didn't see any blood on the snow, but I bet the guy filled his pants.

There were at least half a dozen snowmobile accidents with injuries over the weekend, in just our county. I heard on the news that there were at least three fatalities in the state this weekend. It's not like the old days when I used to ride snowmobile. I was scared to death at 50mph! My favorite old snowmobile went 35mph, wide open, downhill, and that was plenty fast enough for me. Nowadays it seems like to many people it's a race from one tavern to the next. A lot of the cutting and splitting I have done this winter has been within earshot of the trail and it sounds like a busy airport runway....

I must admit I actually zip along . . . but you also need to bear in mind that a good portion of this speed is due to a change in the suspension and handling characteristics . . . I noticed a huge difference when I went from a 1996 sled to a 2004 sled . . . of course the real issue however is that you can engineer something to be safer (such as a car), but for the driver who doesn't utilize the safety gear (i.e. seatbelts for cars and helmets for sleds), common sense (i.e. obeying the rules of the road for cars and the rules of the trail for sleds -- such as always riding to the right), not drinking and driving (prudent for both cars and sleds) and the very important rule of utilizing commonsense and riding to your experience level . . . well those who make poor decisions often pay for it in the end with sled damage or personal damage unfortunately.

Never had any collision . . . strike that . . . last year my ski clipped a rock hidden at the side of a groomed trail and it pushed me into a small grouping of alders that broke my mirror . . . and wounded my pride.

Seems up here most of the fatal accidents involve a guy who a) has been drinking, b) is riding late at night, c) is riding at excessive speeds and d) often is riding without any protective gear . . . I can't tell you the number of incidents I have heard that have involved a late night "last blast" around the lake where the driver, half or all in the bag, ended up hitting the trees or rocks on the shoreline of a lake . . . of course there are the occasional deaths that are a bit atypical -- guy up here for example just hit a disabled groomer even though it was well marked.

By the way . . . I never drink and drive . . . cars or sleds . . . but I do stop to eat and take frequent breaks while out sledding.
I agree Jake, it's due almost entirely to operator foolishness, never the machine itself. Happens with ATVs too, and dirtbikes. Seems like nowadays so many people think they are invincible (I was probably guilty of that myself at times) and then they get hurt, or worse.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

quads, it sounds like you might have had the same type snowmobile as one of my old ones! I was never into the speed thing as that seemed to distract one from enjoying the beauty of the land you were passing through. An occasional burst of speed is okay now and then but to ride that way all the time is just not for me.
Dad had a snowmobile dealership in the 60s and 70s. He started out with Boatels, then Rupps, Speedways, and Allouettes. The last three snowmobiles I had (I sold them all several years ago) were, a 1964 Boatel Ski Bird with a 246cc Hirth engine 10.5 hp (my favorite), a 1970 Sprint 29 Rupp with a 290 Sachs, and a 1970 Magnum 44 Rupp with a 440 Hirth (not original engine). I wish I had kept one now for pulling my sled full of wood!

yooperwife said:

Thanks for posting those pictures. Nice! It also looks very typical of the eastern U.P. You should be getting some thawing now too so the sledding might be short lived now. Time for the atv.

Some pictures from Magallow Mtn in Pittsburg NH taken on valentines day.

Pit2011 207.JPG

Pit2011 141.JPG

Pit2011 154.JPG

Pit2011 171.JPG

Pit2011 075.JPG

Pit2011 097.JPG

Never drink and ride, like the others have said, a few idiots ruin it for all of us.

ColdNH said:
Some pictures from Magallow Mtn in Pittsburg NH taken on valentines day.

Never drink and ride, like the others have said, a few idiots ruin it for all of us.
Wow! Breathtaking pictures!

[quote author="ColdNH" date="1297904377"]Some pictures from Magallow Mtn in Pittsburg NH taken on valentines day.

A slice of heaven, great pictures.

Zap

Great pics ColdNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.