SNOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
Who else has some. Here in NY snowbelt we are getting HAMMERED. 3-4 feet of the white sheet on the ground since Tuesday and another 1'-2' by Saturday night. It's not uncommon to get a storm that dumps 2' this time of year but 4' is rediculous.

We got a dusting a few nights ago here in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. It's been flurrying off and on all week. Pocahantas County, in the SE part of the state, has gotten over 3 ft this week with another 4-8 inches tonight. About two hours west of me in Sullystull's neck of the woods I think they've gotten nearly 2 ft this week with another 6-10 inches on the way today. I wish the Alleghenies would let some of that over for us!

You can have our allotment for the year too, Lee. Consider it a present.

( I just noticed your avatar....Morning wood-wood-wood...funny stuff :lol: )

We here near lake Michigan got about a foot on the ground. Thank god half of it melted on contact or we would have a couple feet too. Yikes. got a couple more inches this am and might get a couple more before the lake effect turns off.

Attachments

• snow woodpiles.jpg
    snow woodpiles.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 447
I envy you, Lee! We have nothing, record high temps for the season. Last time I remember anything like this was Jan. 1986 when I tried out painting on my dads truck..............

I think we are sposed to get like an inch of slush stuff either sunday or Monday.

Snow what? Back in the 50's again today.

You have my sympathy. Keep your eye on your roof. I shoveled mine off twice last year--the house faired well, but I had a roof collapse on an outbuilding and damage to one of the green house roofs. There were a record number of roof collapses in our valley last year--we just got hammered all winter, much like what you're getting now. All you can do is hunker down. Good luck.

I have heard that about metal roofs. I was saying to someone that if I ever have to replace my roof, I would like to go metal. They said I was crazy because they are dangerous.

I have a metal roof, as do most homeowners here, but we had over 8 ft of snow on the valley floor and below normal temps so it just wasn't moving off roofs fast enough. I got up twice when the accumulated snow on the roof was above my knees. I also had to lay down boards to be able to crawl to the over-sized windows in my great room and cover them so snow and ice that I pushed off the roof didn't fall back against them and break them. It's definitely not fun trying to walk in extremely deep snow. (I now appreciate snow shoes.)

We have painted gal roofs on mainhouse and some outbuildings. With the deep snow here most buildings are 12-12 pitch. No snow stays for very long so theres never a threat to safety. This actually makes metal safer than most if you have good pitch its the homes that hold the snow on that will be a threat come spring or a good thaw. As for icicles you only get them if your home is not insulated enough. Our home roof usually never has icicles but if some form they are never larger than 2". We do see all temps and big snow loads.
My bottom of my house windows are 9' off the ground and I will still have to shovel them out later in the winter. I someone has trouble with ice they need to think about better insulation.
The snow packs so tight under the roof that I do not need snowshoes to walk along and shovel out the windows but if I make a mistake and step past the hard packed snow its good bye and start swimming time.

A few inches here in northern NH. Enough cold air and snow to open up Bretton Woods ski area. My daughter and I took our first turns this morning and returned to a toasty fire in the stove.

Regarding your avatar, last winter a moose made sweet, passionate love to our mailbox, you get the prize since you got a picture ;-)

We ended up with about 18" from this past lake flake storm. Just under 40" for the year so far. Ski season has been great for November in the mountains of West-by-God.

Attachments

• nov_ski.jpg
    nov_ski.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 150
all this snow must be a by-product of global warming HAHAHA :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.