snowblower pull cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
My snowblower pull cord keeps breaking. I use a weather resistance heavy duty cord ( so it claims). I don't see anything rubbing on it that would cut it. So I am at a loss. any suggestions?

Look for rough edges or rust inside the recoil housing - especially where the rope comes through the outer shell. Also look at how you pull, are you getting a "straight shot" or are you pulling at an angle so that it is rubbing against the recoil housing?

Where is it breaking? Is it a clean break, or does the rope look "chewed" Do you have enough rope on the drum (It should be enough that you aren't hitting the end of the line when you pull...)?

Are you using a "marketed for the application" cord, or a generic rope? Is it the right diameter?

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Look for rough edges or rust inside the recoil housing - especially where the rope comes through the outer shell. Also look at how you pull, are you getting a "straight shot" or are you pulling at an angle so that it is rubbing against the recoil housing?

Where is it breaking? Is it a clean break, or does the rope look "chewed" Do you have enough rope on the drum (It should be enough that you aren't hitting the end of the line when you pull...)?

Are you using a "marketed for the application" cord, or a generic rope? Is it the right diameter?

Gooserider

+1

Matt

One other thing could be happening. Mine used to freeze to itself after it got wet from melting snow. This could pull a cord apart.

Matt

Go to a small engine repair shop and get some rope made for pull starters. After you tie the knots in it, heat the knots up just a little with a cigarette lighter. That helps to make sure the knot doesn't slip or loosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.