Snowing here in Mass - In October?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Lookin outside right now and the snow is starting to fall. About 1100' elevation here, so it looks like we might get a few inches...before Halloween. Yee haa

October 4, 1987 we got well over a foot of wet snow overnight. Storm was a roughly 50 mile or so radius. Earliest known measurable snowfall in MA that I'm aware of. Looked for pics but I can't find anything. It was surreal...all the trees were just starting to turn color and were still full of leaves. Walk outside and all you can hear is wood snapping everywhere around you.

This is rare, but it happens. We're not going to get squat out of it, but its a good wakeup call that if you don't have your wood done yet, you better be doing it this weekend because winter is coming fast and probably hard.

I always figure here in Maine that we could get a dusting anytime from around Halloween to Thanksgiving . . . usually nothing really that builds up . . . some may stick come Thanksgiving . . . but typically we just get a bit of spitting or a light dusting.

daveswoodhauler said:
Lookin outside right now and the snow is starting to fall. About 1100' elevation here, so it looks like we might get a few inches...before Halloween. Yee haa

I think last year in our area we had some snow either the 30th or the 31st of October, I was up top bringing some hard maple down when it started to snow.

zap

daveswoodhauler said:

The past two years, we've received snow before Halloween. Saturday might make it three in a row.

It is snowing here in Nepa...yeah....
lower temps....time to see how the 30 really works... :cheese:

Stay tuned... the forcaster just said this storm is nothing compared to the potential monster NorEaster that's tracking right towards New England this Saturday. Where she lands no one knows but he said there will be serveral inches. You got to be kidding me... I still have green leaves on all my oak trees. :-(

Not too common to see 2-3 inches about this time here,happens twice a decade at most.Then it can be 60 for a few more days afterwards.Temps from 50-60 last week & so far this week so it'll be a bit longer wait.Worst late October snowstorm in decades was Halloween 1997 with just under a foot.Major damage because leaves hadnt dropped yet,plus powerlines down for a couple days.

We've already got an inch or so of heavy, wet snow in central NY.

60% chance of snow tomorrow night. 90% chance for Saturday. Lows in the 20s. Then back to the upper 50s.

mayhem said:
October 4, 1987 we got well over a foot of wet snow overnight. Storm was a roughly 50 mile or so radius. Earliest known measurable snowfall in MA that I'm aware of. Looked for pics but I can't find anything. It was surreal...all the trees were just starting to turn color and were still full of leaves. Walk outside and all you can hear is wood snapping everywhere around you.

This is rare, but it happens. We're not going to get squat out of it, but its a good wakeup call that if you don't have your wood done yet, you better be doing it this weekend because winter is coming fast and probably hard.

I remember that very well as we were heading home and got caught in that mess. Had to turn around and try again the next day. It was a mess with all the trees and power lines down that next day.

Hmmm . . . weather forecast made an abrupt change . . . they're talking 2 inches along the coast where I like and possibly up to 6 inches in the Bangor area . . . with the ground not frozen yet it's kind of wasted snow right now . . . just makes things messy . . . I suppose it will give the folks who seem to forget from year to year how to drive in the snow (i.e. the ones either driving 10 mph and holding up everyone or the ones driving 10 mph over the speed limit and jamming on their brakes at the last minute).

stejus said:
Stay tuned... the forcaster just said this storm is nothing compared to the potential monster NorEaster that's tracking right towards New England this Saturday. Where she lands no one knows but he said there will be serveral inches. You got to be kidding me... I still have green leaves on all my oak trees. :-(

Thats funny. My forecast is for sunny, clear skies and mid to upper 40's till Thursday at the least. Trick or treat looks like it might be sweatshirt weather.

Probably a high pressure system from the great lakes pushing anything out of my immediate area and into yours.

Im right on the edge of the predicted 1-3 and 3-6 bands. They are saying its going to be heavy wet stuff. Gotta check the generator gas can.

Saw may get another workout this fall.... and I still haven't finished splitting the Irene wood :)

6-10" here...wtf.....I havent't even finished mowing the lawn yet.
All kidding aside, the 1-2" we had last night brought down a ton of branches on lines as most of the oaks and late trees still have their leaves....its going to be interesting tomorrow night with 6-10" of heavy wet stuff stickin to all the trees with leaves.....do I really need to get out the snowblower this early, lol

I remember back in the mid 90's getting around two feet of snow up at my cabin in northcentral pa, and every few years it seems we get a small bit of snow before Halloween where I live

I hear folks are already in Snowstorm Panic Mode . . . stocking up on the beer, bleach and batteries in case they get snowed in until Spring . . . honestly I sometimes wonder what folks are thinking . . . or not thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.