1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Snowmobile Tunnels

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by thewoodlands, Aug 29, 2013.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Took some super fine steel wool to the tunnel on the left side, the first two pics are before & after. I did it with super fine steel wool dry then with the super fine steel wool with a spray bottle, like wet sanding.

The last two pics are the left side (done with super fine steel wool) the right side is cleaned up with SLEDBRITE tunnel cleaner.

Once I polish it up then put a sealant on it they should look great. I still have another hour or two on the side I worked on tonight, then I'll polish them after we have the engines checked out.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I've never been that motivated to polish the tunnels . . . but I can appreciate a job well done.
  3. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    looks good but a word of caution, when rubbing steel wool on a softer surface it is common to have steel fiber stick into the softer material, hence they will rust down the road, might want to switch to a nylon abrasive such as a Scotchbrite pad.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Shows how much I know about sleds. I was expecting to see something you drive thru...not something you put your feet on.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I polished my Chaparral SSX340 once......yes, once. It was a PITA, so I know what you went through doing that job Woody. Looks great, I'll give you that. I agree on the steel wool causing rust. I'd be going to scotch brite on the next polish job...
    NortheastAl likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

Will do on the Scotch-Brite pad.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

Which type of Scotch-Brite?
  8. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    So did I.
  9. thewoodlands

I'll drive through something this winter, it won't be a tunnel! :oops:
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Sometime I'll have to ride out and post a pic of the culvert on a neighboring ATV Club trail . . . you actually ride the quads through the tunnel under the busy road to get to the other side.
  11. thewoodlands

It sounds like what they put in for the cows to cross under the road many years ago.