Snowshoes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I truly enjoy being out in the woods. My wife and I love to snowmobile, but I thought we should try snowshoeing also. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to buy. We have quite a bit of LL. Bean coupons from a credit card we use so I thought we may get them there. My daughter said I want snowshoes so I can cut wood in the winter.

i own a pair of the "traditional" wooden snowshoes with the "alaskan" configuration of the frame. its easier to walk. the snow gets pretty deep around here, and that type of frame sure beats out the "michigan" type of frame. i also have the small aluminum lightweight framed snowshoes that are used only on previously tracked trails. needles to say, i am always the one breaking trail.
you will really enjoy them. we take a backpack including hot cocoa and sometimes something to cook over a winter fire. our destinations usually include a frozen waterfall. walk out about dark and listen to various wildlife. (coyotes, wolves, owls, etc)

There are a lot of different ideas about snowshoeing out there. If you want to cruise the steeps in deep powder, you want full axle, aggressive cramp ons and poles. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I prefer a good pair of boots when I take the kids snowshoeing. I find snowshoes on anything packed at all to be annoying unless I have just finished my turn breaking trail.

I have a pair of MSR's (Mountain Safety Research) from Campmor with 6" extension tails and they are of a plastic composition with metal cleats. I like the narrow width and the light weight for mountain hiking. If I was just doing flat trails I might want something a little different. For whatever you're considering, check out the online customer reviews.

I don't think I'd want to do any cutting in snowshoes. I imagine it would be a little awkward, as in not being able to get out of the way fast enough if I needed to.

We sold our snowshoes many moons ago and I do not miss them a bit.

IT all depends on the terrain and ammount of snow really.. I easily put in 200+ miles a year on snoewhoes/skis on my trap line so take this all with a grain of salt.. :). For the deep and fluffy wooden traditionals with a simple webbing binging are the way to go hands down. If the area is realitivly open (tree free) go as long and wide as you can comfortably go as this will provide the most floatation in the deep stuff. If the area is really wooded go a bit shorter as it makes navigating through trees alot easier. If is it set up snow or hardpack with any over the new style aluminum with ice cleat binding are the way to go. Now if you are going to be on any "trails" cross country skis are the way to go by a long shot they are FAR more efficient than snowsnows. For this type of skiing the waxless or fishscale backcountry style are the way to go. You can cover the same distance on skis' as snowshoes in easily half the time. Snow shoes are good for breaking trail no doubt but the next time I go out I grab the ski's. You use less energy and feel less fatigued at the end. And if you have never snow shoed it takes some getting use to.

If you have LL Bean coupons might as well use them there . . . looks like most of the snowshoes they offer are the smaller version . . . I actually preferred the "bear paw" style back when I used to snow shoe vs. the more traditional style with the tail. The smaller ones are easier going if you're in the woods . . . don't offer as much floatation, but easier going . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.