Snowy frozen wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
The wood in my trailer (that I bring up to the house) is all frozen and snow covered from the 24 hrs of wind, snow and rain we have enjoyed here. Do you all think I can light a little fire beneath my trailer to dry that wood some what?

Instead of melting the snow onto the wood, why not brush the snow off and bring the wood inside to dry by the stove?

I'd beat bang and pound on it to get most the snow off, then sweep it a bit if needed, then set up a place near the stove to stack it criss cross, it'll be ready to burn in not time. Maybe put a piece of plastic down or stack it in a big tub, or on top a big storage container lid or something.

It was a nice storm. It's freeze drying next years wood.

Attachments

• feb snow 007.jpg
    feb snow 007.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 595
ansehnlich1 said:
I'd beat bang and pound on it to get most the snow off

One season of sledge and mattock convinced me of the need for a shed or to suck it up and pay the propane man.

basswidow, that picture reminds me of last winter. These pictures were taken on Christmas Day 2008:

Christmas-2008b.gif

That is the splitter covered up between the wood piles.
Christmas-2008d-1.gif

Be careful of beating and banging splits together, recently I was trying to get snow and ice off some wood. I was throwing splits down on my cement patio to get the ice off and one of them bounced right back up and hit me in the face. Split my eyebrow open, bled like a sonofagun. Never had that happen in 7 years of tending fire wood...

Can you back the trailer right into the house? Sure, it'll be a little messy, but the wood will thaw and you won't have to handle it an extra time.

gzecc said:
The wood in my trailer (that I bring up to the house) is all frozen and snow covered from the 24 hrs of wind, snow and rain we have enjoyed here. Do you all think I can light a little fire beneath my trailer to dry that wood some what?
Provided it was seasoned long enough to begin with, clunk two pieces together and throw them in the stove.

We kind of had the perfect weather for frozen wood. We had wind driven rain, then it turned colder and snowed. It's not flaky snow its more like ice and snow particles. The wood is even stuck together. Not really looking for a solution, it was kind of tongue in cheek.

trapshooter9 said:
I vote for building a fire under the trailer. What could possibly go wrong?

not a thing.. when those tires lite they will burn off the moisture in no time.

EK, I would keep the fire small. The tires would only get warm.

fill the tires with nitrogen .They'd be self extinguishing .

Maybe you could use one of those big propane weed burners it would dry that wood in no time .

I was thinking about a few at a time in my propane bbq grill. That should work.

All kidding aside If you just bang the snow off or even if they get wet with rain... if they are good and seasoned to begin with they will dry in no time stacked next to the stove.

Rather, My hands stick to them when I grab them, I lost two gloves already. Should I try the tongue thing?

Well, any good Southerner knows the answer---you deep fry the rounds in the turkey fryer!!!

NP

gzecc said:
We kind of had the perfect weather for frozen wood. We had wind driven rain, then it turned colder and snowed. It's not flaky snow its more like ice and snow particles. The wood is even stuck together. Not really looking for a solution, it was kind of tongue in cheek.
I had that happen to me at my former home. First snow of the season started out as wind driven rain that shredded my blue tarps, then coated the wood in over an inch of ice and finally dumped a bunch of snow on top of it. I was beating on my stacks with a sledge all Winter and finding shreds of blue tarp for years to come.

I sold the place and went for a few years here with the superior silver tarps until they too started to shred and finally built my woodshed. Even if there were no ROI on a shed, life's too short to fight with wind and tarps.

Ya when I know that rainy/wet snow weather is coming I bring in enough dry wood to keep the fire hot enough to dry the wet wood that comes behind it.

Beating on the wood pile (literally) is when I started putting a cover on (while the weather was still nice) once the stack was stacked.
Keeping several days ahead of melting wood on the basement floor for at least three weeks is something I'll likely never do again.
Luckily my basement floor was pitched to a drain.

A shed is on my list, too.

Some day.

HehHeh . . . please tell me you are kidding about lighting the fire under the trailer . . . yeah, no one could be that foolish.

As others have said if the wood is seasoned a little snow and ice is no big deal. Bang two sticks together to get the bulk of the snow and ice off them . . . bring inside and place near the stove (but keeping attention to the clearance requirements) . . . . you may wish to place the wood in a plastic bin or on a plastic tray to collect the melting snow and ice . . . in a few hours they'll be nice and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.