Snowy wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
jeff_t said:
Just saying, rain and snow don't have much affect on already seasoned wood. It's pretty hard to put moisture back in it.

OK.. take a split of your very best seasoned wood and weigh it. Then wait until a long, rainy spell and leave it outside for a week and re-weigh it. Then see how long it takes in sun and rain to get back to its original weight. It will be longer than you think.

Wood is always compared to a sponge in every wood tech book I have ever read. You can't squeeze it like a sponge, but it not only soaks up large amounts of water into the ends, it is also hygroscopic and picks up moisture from the air when it is humid. True, it will never again come close to turning green again, but wood is definitely a two-way street when it comes to water. Surface water does indeed penetrate back into wood. It is then called waterlogged.

Prolly be a while before we get a rainy spell, but I can go out in the morning and knock the snow off a few splits and see how they burn. I'd do it now, but I'm in my jammies :coolsmile: .

CarbonNeutral said:
I just hate having to shovel a path to the stacks. I did take the tractor-mounted snowblower round the yard yesterday. Only got stuck twice and ruined the grass in three places....

Don't bother unless it's too deep to walk through. My stacks are up a bit of a slope about 100 feet from my house. I use one of those cheap molded plastic kids' sleds to bring it down to the house. Easy-peasey.

Status
Not open for further replies.