So, About Those Gloves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
As I sit here with the back of my left hand covered in gauze & burn goo :shut: Nailed the inside of the insert after putting a few pieces of wood into the fire last night. Heads up for all with cable & cable phone caller ID .... It's not worth it to look at the TV to see who's calling before your hand is OUT of the stove :-S

Anyways... good, better, best, bestest ? FP gloves dot com? Or would Home Boy Depot or Lowes do the trick, as far as preventing this occurance from happening again. I really don't have the time for this inconvienience.

I can't ride :sick:

Welding gloves work great.

Hogwildz said:
Welding gloves work great.

What he said. I have 2 pair, one for each fire going.

Shipper

Regular leather welding gloves become hard as a rock (as in can't bend the fingers) after repeated exposure to the high temps. The seams usually open up from the regular cotton thread disintegrating too. Tillman elk skin welding gloves stay soft and flexible and use kevlar stitching. Look up netwelder on ebay, he has great prices/selection of Tillmans and great service.

I bought fireproof gloves at my local fireplace store. They are red and the cuff is about 12 inches. Nice and strong and really keep my hands cool.

About $26.

Love them. I learned just like you the hard way.

Carpniels

I use plain old cheap welding gloves from a welding shop that seem to be a suede type material, go well above the wrist and they don't get hard from heat at all. Not even hard from water exposure. I actually weld and cut metal with the same gloves and have gotten them extremely hot without any thread melting or hardening.

They sit in my bucket by the stove so that I can reach in if needed and grab a log or place a log in jsut the right place.

I had an incident where my secondary burn tube fell out of the roof of my Lopi stove in a 450 degree stove. I was able to reach into the fire and fish it out, switch hands (it was getting hot) and reinstall the tube. The retainer pins had fallen out.

Welding gloves.

Be aware, not all welding gloves are created equal. Pick a pair that actually seem heavy, not the bargain box stuff. The last pair I purchased for stove tending is on 6 yrs and going strong.

Edit: sorry to hear about your ride limiting little accident. That sucks. :down:

Thanks, guys. I'ma shopping.

Hands getting air tonight.

Never more, that's for sure.

Thanks, Jags. Dix needs miles, and I can't get this hand dirty. Lucky me, she'll be the same as the last time I got on her. I got lucky with this horse ;-P Kinda like riding a bike ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.