So aggravated with Napoleon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2010
North Arkansas
So I bought a $3000 napoleon furnace this summer. Installed this fall, the thing works great WHEN the primary air control doesn't stick! About every 3 or 4 nights I awake to a cold house and a stove full of wood. I have taken it off several times to check it out and I think it is binding. I can tap it or work it up and down and it startes opening. Then a few days later it sticks again.

So I email Napoleon and their reply is they haven't had any motor failures to date. They did give me a few things to check, which I did.
I replied back that they have had their first motor sticking apparently.

So now, they ignore me! Won't get back with me, now I'm stuck operating this $3000 furnace manually! I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new motor assembly IF I can ever get them to get back with me.

I am starting to feel very bitter towards them, do you think its justified?

Sure - they sold you something and now you are unhappy and a major part is not functioning.

This type of thing is usually addressed through the retailer you purchased from (the person you gave your money to), but since Napoleon approves of internet sales...they should surely deal direct with you to settle this issue.

Maybe they had a long holiday? I'd try again...

Ozark Woodburner said:
So I bought a $3000 napoleon furnace this summer. Installed this fall, the thing works great WHEN the primary air control doesn't stick! About every 3 or 4 nights I awake to a cold house and a stove full of wood. I have taken it off several times to check it out and I think it is binding. I can tap it or work it up and down and it startes opening. Then a few days later it sticks again. So I email Napoleon and their reply is they haven't had any motor failures to date. They did give me a few things to check, which I did.I replied back that they have had their first motor sticking apparently. So now, they ignore me! Won't get back with me, now I'm stuck operating this $3000 furnace manually! I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new motor assymbly IF I can ever get them to get back with me. I am starting to feel very bitter towards them, do you think its justified?

Sounds "justified" to me. Just because they haven't had any motor failures to date, does not mean there is not something wrong with yours! What is the warranty on the unit? If the unit is not working perfectly, and it is brand new, sounds like it is their problem. As well as yours obviously. Keep after them. Don't let up. They need to help you get this thing fixed.

Sometimes the mention of BBB does wonders between customer and seller. Note I said seller because BBB sometimes would rather deal with the seller than the mfg. Had a problem with a GE product one time and BBB said go after the local parts sales people with the complaint even though it was a mfg policy and not the sales people. I mentioned that to the sales people and they took the hit and made good the warranty. I ended up dropping the GE line from my household appliances but if I have a problem with any other appliances in the home I will not hesitate to go to the company who made good on a mfg warranty just to keep the BBB out of their hair. At least that small company and I have an understanding. Wish you the best.

Is this a stand alone furnace with plenum and all, or is it one of there prefab fireplaces? Eventually I will put a fireplace/stove in the new addition. Not so much for primary heat, but the ambience, as the wife says, and hence the nice rock surrounded fireplace with doors and all seems a possibility. Local dealer by me, some look nice...but this sure isn't warming me up to them!

It is the stand alone furnace- HMF150.

The problem is it is winter time and I gotta have this thing working, I completely understand that things happen and parts break. But, I would like this to be timely repair so I can get back to heating my home with it. I have been dealing with this too long I feel. I'm thinking surely it would be under warranty, but if not I will have to buy a new one so I can heat my home. I am afraid to even use it when I am at work, what if it sticks open (which it has, but only once)

Anyway, I will try again tommorrow.

Ozark Woodburner said:
Bitter is not the right word, aggravated is.
Can you open up the motor? I think binding elsewhere would be obvious to you, Randy

Can I ask you guys your opinion? We dont allow our furnaces to be sold on the internet (PSG Caddy line). We tried it for one season but had no end of install headaches since most homeowners are not familiar with plenum (magnahelic, static pressure etc...) and even venting. We have enough issues with some who claim to be professionals.

However, would anyone buy a furnace online if the requirement was the unit was installed by an HVAC/Venting professional and he certified the install? and the MFG had a copy of the certificate before they would honor the warranty.

Just wondering...

FyreBug said:
Can I ask you guys your opinion? We dont allow our furnaces to be sold on the internet (PSG Caddy line). We tried it for one season but had no end of install headaches since most homeowners are not familiar with plenum (magnahelic, static pressure etc...) and even venting. We have enough issues with some who claim to be professionals.

However, would anyone buy a furnace online if the requirement was the unit was installed by an HVAC/Venting professional and he certified the install? and the MFG had a copy of the certificate before they would honor the warranty.

Just wondering...
Thats a fair question & no I wouldn't. I'm capable of installing most any furnace/boiler & would no way pay out $125.00? an hour to hook one up. I understand your concerns over a lot of hacks out there, wouldn't be my problem though, Randy

I agree with randy If I can't install it myself I'd buy somthing different. I do understand your concern.

I'm the same way, if I can't install it myself I won't buy it. Around here every hvac company won't touch or service wood burning furnaces. After being burned for 400.00 from a local hvac company I have done all my maintenance and repair of our central furnace as well as installed a full duct system in our home. I do not trust the "pro's" seen too many people burned and garbage work from it. I see it from both sides.

I wouldn't buy it either....or if I did, I'd do the install anyways. When I started building my house, nobody in the area new a thing about radiant heat. I found the company that seemed to know the most and hired them to install the Buderus oil burner and some of the near boiler plumbing. Two guys there seemed to understand what they were doing, they asked me if I wanted a job as a radiant designer. When I installed the Garn, I installed the Garn. I wouldn't have it any other way. Though my wife might beg to differ. As I tell her, she can pay the difference, and pay the extra to get them to do it "right". I see a lot of skimping....not everyone has a local heaterman!

But I certainly understand your concerns....what can be more frustrating from your point of view then dealing with a hack!

Ozark Woodburner said:
So I email Napoleon and their reply is they haven't had any motor failures to date. They did give me a few things to check, which I did.
I replied back that they have had their first motor sticking apparently.

Any seller of ANY product, that responds that way is either

1)Unaware of how to please customers, or
2)Doesn't care if customers are satisfied, or
3)Has something to hide.

While you may want to continue attempting to get help from the manufacturer and/or retailer accept the fact that you are probably going to be on your own fixing it. The fact is, you'll prolly do a better job in the end.

Hang in there.

Update: The place that I bought it from is working on this on my behalf I guess. Still cannot get napoleon to answer me.

This is napoleons one and only reply to me-

We have not had any motor failure on the air shutter assembly to date. Please ensure the support bracket behind the shutter is holding it vertical but still allowing the shutter to slide freely. Also ensure that there are no burrs or nicks on the shutter. Sometimes if they are worked up and down with the manual override lever they will begin to slide smoothly.

No check back if this doesn't fix it or anything. And now they will not get back with me.

I done most of the install myself. I had a little help from an electrcian and a HVAC guy. And no, it is not "hacked together" or "cobbled up"

This is the first reply since Dec 23rd from Napoleon-

A replacement motor can be obtained through your suppier part # W435-0003

Thats all of their reply I waited 12 days for! I guess that means they want me to just buy the replacement motor?

This group has got to be the absolute worse at customer service I have ever seen in my life!

Now what do you guys think I should do?

Ozark Woodburner said:
This is the first reply since Dec 23rd from Napoleon-

A replacement motor can be obtained through your suppier part # W435-0003

Thats all of their reply I waited 12 days for! I guess that means they want me to just buy the replacement motor?

This group has got to be the absolute worse at customer service I have ever seen in my life!

Now what do you guys think I should do?
Well, you might try setting the stove on the hood of your car & driving 60 mph toward their showroom... & then slam on the brakes. On a more serious note I would probably take them to small claims court. They have a dealer in your state & consequently a presence there. They should need to defend there. You can do all the complaining to various agencys you want & all you will get is "we don't have the authority to do anything". Small claims is about $60.00, Randy

Threaten to call the BBB. If they don't respond accordingly immediately, call them. You will most likely get a call from Napoleon
wanting to make it right as soon as the BBB contacts them so there grade don't get lowered. I've had to resort to this once and had great results (Deferent company). Good Luck.
J.T.

why don't you just go to the dealer and get the motor? I understand the dealer is already aware of the situation (I'm still not sure why the dealer is not resolving this for you) and I would expect that you would be given the motor under warranty. If the warranty covers labor, then I would expect that the dealer would replace it for you too. I know you are frustrated by your experience, but why are you talking directly to Napoleon? You wouldn't call Ford directly if something was wrong with your car, you would go to the local dealer where you bought the car. Why is this different? Sign me puzzled and curious.

Tarm Sales Guy said:
why don't you just go to the dealer and get the motor? I understand the dealer is already aware of the situation (I'm still not sure why the dealer is not resolving this for you) and I would expect that you would be given the motor under warranty. If the warranty covers labor, then I would expect that the dealer would replace it for you too. I know you are frustrated by your experience, but why are you talking directly to Napoleon? You wouldn't call Ford directly if something was wrong with your car, you would go to the local dealer where you bought the car. Why is this different? Sign me puzzled and curious.
+1 That's some good advice right there, and I suspect that it doesn't take a cattle prod to get TSG to replace a bad motor in a new Tarm/Bio ;-)

The dealer is working on this as well, but according to them Napoleon will have to approve it with a "claim". I originally emailed Napoleon to find out the process I need to go through, but ran into what i'm in now instead. My dealer asked me to let him work with this for a while, but I want to do anything I can to get this process going faster, I'm sick of waking up cold in the morning with a couple unburnt logs in the furnace every other night. After talking with the dealer again today it looks like all I can do is sit back and wait to see if they will warranty it. I'm sure they are just hoping they can "wait me out" and I will give in and buy a new motor so it won't cost them anything on warranty. And once we finally get a good cold snap, this is gonna be a problem not having a fully operational furnace.

I'd email them a link to this thread. Might be surprised at how fast they make good on your warranty.

Unless they are about to go bankrupt, or just don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.