So, anyone light up yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 9 fires so far.
I have a basement and 2 floors above it. Put in an Econoburn gassification in the basement two years ago, to replace an aged and useless boiler in the basement and to retire a nice airtight stove on the main floor living room.
I've had about 6 fires in the stove, to take off a late summer evening chill, usually because someone left a few windows open too late into the evening, or just for the fun of it. I've had about 3 burns in the boiler, to put some heat into the basement, and to knock some surface moisture off the winter's wood I'm loading into the basement.
In fact, I just came down here to the basement this morning at 6 AM to re-start the boiler for that reason.
Now, let it snow! :)

Was supposed to get in the low 40s last night, didn't need a fire but wanted one so built a small one. Made some changes to the stove pipe and removed a 90 and put in 2 45's. Wanted to see if it would draft ok with outside temps about 58. Drafted real good, small fire with a split of poplar, cherry and sassafras. Forgot to turn the air conditioning off and it kicked on @ 76. Kind of silly to have a fire. Thought the newness would have worn off after burning the summit the first year but really enjoyed sitting there watching the flames and checking out the chimney (no smoke except at startup).

41 here this morn,frost in the mountains earlier this week.It's coming.

my wife just mentioned she was chilly!!! :coolgrin: gotta love this time of year ;-)

loon

DSC09830-1-1.jpg

Based on the forecast, I should be able to make it into October without burning. I'm hoping for November.

It was a bit cool last night (went down to 34 degrees F) and lit a fire. It was really nice. This morning, I lit another fire and when I came home this evening, my daughter had kept it going all day. It is close to 90 degrees F in the house, but only around 60 outside. It's a good thing I'm only burning crappy old spruce right now, and not my oak/ash. But I just love all the aches and pains being soothed by that intense heat.

Oh the healing powers of a wood fire.Ahhhhhhh! I wish i knew the feeling.lol

We did break down and started the first fire of the season last night. Before hitting the sack though I did not refill the stove as it was rather warm in here. Once again, we have a fire now and will probably follow the same was as last night's fire. Then it should start warming back up here starting tomorrow or Sunday. Rain is forecast almost every day next week and I sure hope we get some as were are really dry.

Just started one a minute ago. Gonna let the kindling burn down a little, put in a light load (last night it was HOT in here). I love it. The way i see it now. I may not need the pellet stove till it gets around 10-20 degrees. Even then I may not need it. Have not really been "cooking" it or burning my Good stuff.

Double post. Oops. (Damn Bionic)

Attachments

• Install done 3 (secodaries).jpg
    Install done 3 (secodaries).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 252
Just reloaded on top of a hot coal bed. Haven't done that inside at home during the summer before.

Attachments

• 061611 reload.jpg
    061611 reload.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 256
Lit up tonight for the first time. Not necessary as it's 55 out and only going down to the mid 40's. It felt chilly in the house when I got home, but once I brought in a few splits and got her going, I already had to take off the sweatshirt. What the heck, Phillies game plus secondaries equals a nice relaxing Friday night.

Both stoves locked & loaded. I even vacummed out the cob webs first ;-P

40F in the vicinity means 35F here in Icey Hollow.

Should be interesting. I never did get that tennis ball out of the heatalator tube. I wonder how long it will stink >:-(

It was mid 40's here last night. Not quite as cold tonight, but I lit up to make sure it still works. ;) The kids love it, why resist any longer!

She be burning as I type. This one counts since last night I had my annual "force the water from the stone" fire.

Shawn

You guys are killin me. As most of you know, the doc won't let me bend or lift yet so starting a fire is going to be about impossible unless I can talk my wife into letting me coach her through it. She loves the wood heat but with her RA she really doesn't need to be lifting or bending to much either. She also just would rather me do it. It makes her to nervous. It has been in the 40's the last 2 nights here, but the house is holding at about 68 so we haven't turned on the gas furnace yet and don't want to. I hate the up and down temps and drafts of the gas furnace :-S Can't wait to be able to burn wood again. And oh ya, I have a brand new stove that I only got to burn a few times last winter. "Enjoy what you have....lest you lose it." :smirk:

I ended up burning some seasoned wood tonight that may rival Backwood's supply.

Some cut ends of some 50 year old rough cut oak that I had left over from building my bar (workbench if the wife sees this) Was sitting in the wife's family's garage since the 50's. Planed down it finished up real nice but the buggered up ends made for a perfect first feeding for the 30.

Didn't have any trouble getting it to light off :) Just couldn't see mixing it in with other stuff seeing as though it had been together for so long.

pen

Treacherous said:
I would if I could. Burn ban on right now. :-(
Now that would really suck. I don't know how you put up with that. Just curious, what is causing the burn ban? How often...percentage of the time does it happen?

Normally there is a ban during the summer months and that isn't a problem but early summer was cool and had to run the oil heaters at cabin at times that I never have before. The chill of fall is in the air so anxious to get burning again. Hopefully ban will be off by the end of the month since we are finally getting some rain. It's been a few months since we had any substantial rain. Even though I have a screen on rain cap I would be concerned about forest fires with how dry everything is. Lots of large fir and pine close to my cabin as well.

Bun bans haven't been an issue October-June in years past. Of course the Western Washington counties often have burn bans throughout winter at times when some temperature inversion sets in. My cabin is in the central part of state with a population that is more spread out so bans are rare during the winter.

tfdchief said:
Treacherous said:
I would if I could. Burn ban on right now. :-(
Now that would really suck. I don't know how you put up with that. Just curious, what is causing the burn ban? How often...percentage of the time does it happen?

Not yet. It's down to 50 or so outside and 68 in here. Had to break out actual clothes...no loafing on the internet in shorts and flip-flops tonight. Good weather to sit outside around the fire, which we did tonight. If it drops into the mid-forties for several nights running, I'll have to make fire. That won't happen for at least a week, though; Highs of 75-80 are forecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.