So, anyone light up yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not yet! Temps still above 45 at night so the brick house stays warm all night. Elec. water heater still on and oil burner not even powered up. Looks like next week the nights are going to be warmer so another couple weeks here.

62 in the house, 42 outside. An unfamiliar sound in the basement. I'm wrapped in a sodden blanket, long forgotten on the back of the couch. My coffee won't stay warm.

But I am still master of my domain.

btuser said:
62 in the house, 42 outside. An unfamiliar sound in the basement. I'm wrapped in a sodden blanket, long forgotten on the back of the couch. My coffee won't stay warm.

Good lord man! Quit being stubborn and light that darn thing!

I'll be damned to sit in my house under a blanket unless I'm in bed. That's being King of the county!

pen

Just built my first fire this morning. Never had to have one in the house before in September. Kids are chilly and so is the wife. I woke up this morning with a cold and feeling colder than normal. Just a small fire with a few pieces of poplar to take the chill off.

NOPE....not yet. We burned last year till the end of April, and who knows how long we will have to burn this year. I figure that I can deal with the "chilly" mornings for now.
I would rather conserve the wood for when we really need it.

pen said:
btuser said:

Good lord man! Quit being stubborn and light that darn thing!

I'll be damned to sit in my house under a blanket unless I'm in bed. That's being King of the county!

pen

Pfft...you a wussie pen :) ....you just wanna play with your stove.... :lol:

Had a small fire last night and one this moring.. Temp went down to 42 last night, just enough to take the chill off.. So far I love how easy it is to use the T-5...

Ray

I hear ya Ray, same temps out my way. Last 2 mornings we have lit up to take the chill off, the sun takes over as the stove cools down. Looks like a warm-up is on the way.

My Oslo heats my home said:
I hear ya Ray, same temps out my way. Last 2 mornings we have lit up to take the chill off, the sun takes over as the stove cools down. Looks like a warm-up is on the way.

Just lit her up again.. Been using 1/4 Super Cedar and that works well.. I know I could use kindling and newspaper but this so easy.. I think I am spoiled! When the cold really settles in I run 24/7 so the Super Cedars are perfect for the beginning and end of the season..

Ray

raybonz said:

Just lit her up again.. Been using 1/4 Super Cedar and that works well.. I know I could use kindling and newspaper but this so easy.. I think I am spoiled! When the cold really settles in I run 24/7 so the Super Cedars are perfect for the beginning and end of the season..

Ray

I see you are spoiled, enjoy it while you can. I have never used the super cedars, my line of work gives me so much kindling that is all I use.

raybonz said:

Ray

I see you are spoiled, enjoy it while you can. I have never used the super cedars, my line of work gives me so much kindling that is all I use.

Carpenter?

Ray

raybonz said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Carpenter?

Ray

Yes. :)

raybonz said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Carpenter?

Ray

Excellent trade know quite a few of them, generally love what they do.. Yup I am spoiled, bought 100 Super Cedars and they make starting a fire easy.. I think I am hooked and it's much cleaner than dealing with kindling.. Got your Oslo burning now? Those Jotuls are beautiful well made stoves! I hope my T-5 hold up well it's so easy to learn.. Seems to put out lots of heat and seems pretty efficient so far.. Stoves are too expensive to not perform as they should..

Ray

raybonz said:
raybonz said:
raybonz said:
My Oslo heats my home" date="1316312619 said:

Ray

Carpenter?

Ray

Excellent trade know quite a few of them, generally love what they do.. Yup I am spoiled, bought 100 Super Cedars and they make starting a fire easy.. I think I am hooked and it's much cleaner than dealing with kindling.. Got your Oslo burning now? Those Jotuls are beautiful well made stoves! I hope my T-5 hold up well it's so easy to learn.. Seems to put out lots of heat and seems pretty efficient so far.. Stoves are too expensive to not perform as they should..

Ray

Nope, haven't really had to burn in the evenings these last few nites. The house is holding at around 66f right now. Will most likely fire up the Oslo first thing in the am.
I think you will have good luck with your T-5, I have heard nothing but good things about them here. We (forum members) are like little kids at x-mas with our stoves, we love it this time of year. Ask me what I think come late March, I probably won't want to touch another split for months. Haha

Almost made one today but I held back. The house was down to 66 this morning.

Eager to run it though. Cleaned the chimney and stove pipe (just recently bought the house and who knows when, if ever, the previous owner did this).

Also put in a damper and have way drier wood than last year.

U
Kaptain said:
Almost made one today but I held back. The house was down to 66 this morning.

Eager to run it though. Cleaned the chimney and stove pipe (just recently bought the house and who knows when, if ever, the previous owner did this).

Also put in a damper and have way drier wood than last year.

Kaptain, it looks like your on the road to a great burning season. Kudos on the way drier wood, that is a big part of the puzzle.

raybonz said:

Ray

+1 . . . now I too see and understand why so many folks here have raved about how great these wooden hockey pucks are . . . I keep telling myself that I can go back to using newspaper and kindling at any time . . . but I still keep using the SCs since they work so well.

Have started a few fires . . . just one load fires in the morning or evening to take the chill out of the house as outside temps were hovering around the 40 degree mark . . . brings the house up to the high 60s and keeps it at that temp for most of the day/night.

I learned a long time ago . . . this time of year I have to avoid the temptation to reload the stove . . . adding more wood makes things too warm.

To me it doesn't matter when I light up since I have plenty of wood . . . I have wood to stay warm and I'm pretty sure that he who lights up last doesn't get a special prize here . . . right . . . there isn't a special prize is there, Craig? ;)

I finally had to pull the trigger and get a fire going for the first time this year.

It's been damp and cold.. right around 40 degrees this morning in fact, leaving the house at 64 when I woke up.

Now it's 75 and comfy. I can't be the only one that got their first fire going today??

Just light the big jack up. Using Pine for the shoulder months.

I would love to have a fire today, here in Nepa it is damp and rainy, yet again...what else is new?
The 30 was just put in, but not gonna fire her up just yet.... :smirk:
Temps in the house are 68 degrees so not yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.