So, anyone light up yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First fire of the season here. 39f and rain all day. Feels good to be warm. Fred, our dog, has reclaimed his spot on the floor in front of the stove. All is good here.

Western PA

Been burning left over hemlock all weekend. My favorite season this time of the year is.

Still no fire for me over here.

Lit a fire yesterday to start charging my storage. Switched the radiant heat on tonight, house was down to 65 (not to the like of anyone else in the family). Burning pine right now. Cool, damp and not forecast to be warm for a while (maybe even 7 months or so).

Fired off Saturday night, one load then let it go out. 27 degrees Sat morning. This morning, 21 degrees, but held off as the sun warmed the house to where the stove would have run me out. Will make a one load fire tonight.

Tis the season..

Lit the Rangeley today at the wife's request, just doing the break-in's this week then we should be set for some real fires!

Well it looks like summer is finally gonna give up the ghost around here... big cold front coming through. Gonna only be a high of fifty later this week, so odds are I'll be firing up my stove sometime soon!

~Rose

I started my fire on Friday evening and burned through
The weekend. Just trying different things, being new to burning
And all .

Frostbit said:
Fired off Saturday night, one load then let it go out. 27 degrees Sat morning. This morning, 21 degrees, but held off as the sun warmed the house to where the stove would have run me out. Will make a one load fire tonight.

Tis the season..
Crap...if your getting temps like that now what is it like in January?

Heatmiser5 said:
I started my fire on Friday evening and burned through
The weekend. Just trying different things, being new to burning
And all .

Heat, that's what its all about. See what works for you. A trial and error kinda thing. Any questions, jump online and ask.

I reluctantly lit up yesterday...

My wife threatened to turn the heat on because she was "freezing".... so I lit up a small poplar fire to take the chill off. 6 hours later she tried to turn the AC on because "it's too hot in here".

I just turned it off and told her she wanted a fire she is going to have to live with it being hot in the house.

60/40 here the last two days. Wife said "It's gonna be cool in here..." Our little dog doesn't like that, so I burned one-load fires the last two nights. Truth be told, I had been itching to see how this stove would run on dry wood, so I didn't resist. Last year, I had to work to get the stove top above 375*. With dry wood, it was cruising at 450* with the air almost closed. The combustor also lit off quicker, about 30 minutes. Probably due to dry wood and a top-down fire. Not much smoke at all getting the stove up to temp...I'm sold on the top-down start! Based on what I've seen the last couple of nights, I think it's going to be an enjoyable year of burning. :coolsmile: Can't wait until I have some bigger splits to use...I split on the small side for this year's supply. Looks like the stove will go out for now; 70s/50s are forecast for the next week or more.

been playing around for several weeks here.

We do have a beautiful week ahead around here.

might have one wednsday night will see. finally some good weather predicted after wed. this rain has been unbelievable.

Decided to light one up last night as it was in the 40s. It was a last minute thing and I didn't have ANY wood that hasn't been sitting uncovered out in the rain for weeks on end. Except for kindling (which was dry).

So I grabbed a few pieces of very-obviously-well-soaked pine (because they were heavy, whereas truly dry pine is light), and a few pieces of elm which is really moisture resistant in my experience.

Surprisingly good burning experience after fiddling with it for 20 minutes (also part of the re-learning curve). Stove got up and just cruised around 350 which was perfect. I could've kept the fan off and the stove would've risen much higher, but with the fan on lightly the stove cruised and pumped out enough heat to raise the house temp from ~65-72 - which is pretty darn good for outside temps in the 40s considering the size of the stove.

I used about 5 pieces of wet pine and 2 medium/small pieces of slightly wet elm and got about 5 solid hours of burning 350-400 degrees out of the stove. No visible secondaries and the glass darkened up a bit, but it felt great.

My first fire was this morning. It probably would have happened over the weekend, but I was out of town. I think this will be the last one for a while - the week ahead looks pretty nice.

CountryBoy19 said:
I reluctantly lit up yesterday...

My wife threatened to turn the heat on because she was "freezing".... so I lit up a small poplar fire to take the chill off. 6 hours later she tried to turn the AC on because "it's too hot in here".

I just turned it off and told her she wanted a fire she is going to have to live with it being hot in the house.
Doesnt sound like she asked for a fire there! :)

BRRRRRR!!! Old Man Winter certainly showed up in a hurry.... I got my stove all cleaned up and had a largish kindling fire to take the chill off the house, cause it had dropped to about forty, and it's bloody gonna STAY there all damn day. >( Even saw some snowflakes. Not amused. Woke up this morning and was positively freezing so I got a fire going first thing. Coals from last night still had some heat so at least the flue was nice and warm!

I have however lost my stove thermometer. Dagnabbit.

~Rose

fired up last night for the first time-this year. inspected the chimney and gave it a light cleaning. it was in great shape- more of a creosote dusting in there . no biuldup. nice and toasty this morning in here with low to mid 30's outside. might do another tonight. hell, back into the 80's this weekend.

smoke eater said:
not me yet, but "they're" forecasting high 30's this thur n fri night. that means mid 30's up at my house- 1250' up that is. who will be the first? i don't light up until the wife and kids are begging for heat.

We had our first frost last night so we had some fires yesterday and last night, woke up with some nice coals so I through on some quaking aspen had coffee with the wife in front of a nice fire..

zap

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
BRRRRRR!!! Old Man Winter certainly showed up in a hurry.... I got my stove all cleaned up and had a largish kindling fire to take the chill off the house, cause it had dropped to about forty, and it's bloody gonna STAY there all damn day. >( Even saw some snowflakes. Not amused. Woke up this morning and was positively freezing so I got a fire going first thing. Coals from last night still had some heat so at least the flue was nice and warm!

I have however lost my stove thermometer. Dagnabbit.

~Rose

It's going to be 81 here on Sunday...

I did have a small fire in the Heritage on Monday night. That's it for the foreseeable future.

Burning right now. Frost last night and the house temp fell below 68 this morning. That's fire time!

No fire ,frost last night in the 30s but as long as its sunny the house stays in the 70s. maybe next week when it rains.

House hit 64 degrees Tues, which was a little uncomfortable so I lit her up for the first time. We were in bed naked and complaining 2 hours later when the house was in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.