1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

So, anyone light up yet?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by smoke eater, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmer

farmer Member

Loc:
    se mn.
    I would twice this fall but I have to put a stove in first

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. glenng

glenng New Member

First fire of the season here. 39f and rain all day. Feels good to be warm. Fred, our dog, has reclaimed his spot on the floor in front of the stove. All is good here.

Western PA
  3. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Loc:
    Arlington WA
    Been burning left over hemlock all weekend. My favorite season this time of the year is.
  4. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Still no fire for me over here.
  5. Hunderliggur

Hunderliggur Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lothian, MD
    Lit a fire yesterday to start charging my storage. Switched the radiant heat on tonight, house was down to 65 (not to the like of anyone else in the family). Burning pine right now. Cool, damp and not forecast to be warm for a while (maybe even 7 months or so).
  6. Frostbit

Frostbit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Arctic Alaska
    Fired off Saturday night, one load then let it go out. 27 degrees Sat morning. This morning, 21 degrees, but held off as the sun warmed the house to where the stove would have run me out. Will make a one load fire tonight.

Tis the season..
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Lit the Rangeley today at the wife's request, just doing the break-in's this week then we should be set for some real fires!
  8. RoseRedHoofbeats

RoseRedHoofbeats Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Salt Lake Valley, UT
    Well it looks like summer is finally gonna give up the ghost around here... big cold front coming through. Gonna only be a high of fifty later this week, so odds are I'll be firing up my stove sometime soon!

~Rose
  9. Heatmiser5

Heatmiser5 New Member

Loc:
    Chaumont ny
    I started my fire on Friday evening and burned through
    The weekend. Just trying different things, being new to burning
    And all .
  10. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Crap...if your getting temps like that now what is it like in January?
  11. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Heat, that's what its all about. See what works for you. A trial and error kinda thing. Any questions, jump online and ask.
  12. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I reluctantly lit up yesterday...

My wife threatened to turn the heat on because she was "freezing".... so I lit up a small poplar fire to take the chill off. 6 hours later she tried to turn the AC on because "it's too hot in here".

I just turned it off and told her she wanted a fire she is going to have to live with it being hot in the house.
  13. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    60/40 here the last two days. Wife said "It's gonna be cool in here..." Our little dog doesn't like that, so I burned one-load fires the last two nights. Truth be told, I had been itching to see how this stove would run on dry wood, so I didn't resist. Last year, I had to work to get the stove top above 375*. With dry wood, it was cruising at 450* with the air almost closed. The combustor also lit off quicker, about 30 minutes. Probably due to dry wood and a top-down fire. Not much smoke at all getting the stove up to temp...I'm sold on the top-down start! Based on what I've seen the last couple of nights, I think it's going to be an enjoyable year of burning. :coolsmile: Can't wait until I have some bigger splits to use...I split on the small side for this year's supply. Looks like the stove will go out for now; 70s/50s are forecast for the next week or more.
  14. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    been playing around for several weeks here.

We do have a beautiful week ahead around here.
  15. ecocavalier02

ecocavalier02 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ct
    might have one wednsday night will see. finally some good weather predicted after wed. this rain has been unbelievable.
  16. joefrompa

joefrompa New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    Decided to light one up last night as it was in the 40s. It was a last minute thing and I didn't have ANY wood that hasn't been sitting uncovered out in the rain for weeks on end. Except for kindling (which was dry).

So I grabbed a few pieces of very-obviously-well-soaked pine (because they were heavy, whereas truly dry pine is light), and a few pieces of elm which is really moisture resistant in my experience.

Surprisingly good burning experience after fiddling with it for 20 minutes (also part of the re-learning curve). Stove got up and just cruised around 350 which was perfect. I could've kept the fan off and the stove would've risen much higher, but with the fan on lightly the stove cruised and pumped out enough heat to raise the house temp from ~65-72 - which is pretty darn good for outside temps in the 40s considering the size of the stove.

I used about 5 pieces of wet pine and 2 medium/small pieces of slightly wet elm and got about 5 solid hours of burning 350-400 degrees out of the stove. No visible secondaries and the glass darkened up a bit, but it felt great.
  17. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    My first fire was this morning. It probably would have happened over the weekend, but I was out of town. I think this will be the last one for a while - the week ahead looks pretty nice.
  18. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    Doesnt sound like she asked for a fire there! :)
  19. RoseRedHoofbeats

RoseRedHoofbeats Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Salt Lake Valley, UT
    BRRRRRR!!! Old Man Winter certainly showed up in a hurry.... I got my stove all cleaned up and had a largish kindling fire to take the chill off the house, cause it had dropped to about forty, and it's bloody gonna STAY there all damn day. >( Even saw some snowflakes. Not amused. Woke up this morning and was positively freezing so I got a fire going first thing. Coals from last night still had some heat so at least the flue was nice and warm!

I have however lost my stove thermometer. Dagnabbit.

~Rose
  20. smoke eater

smoke eater Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    fired up last night for the first time-this year. inspected the chimney and gave it a light cleaning. it was in great shape- more of a creosote dusting in there . no biuldup. nice and toasty this morning in here with low to mid 30's outside. might do another tonight. hell, back into the 80's this weekend.
  21. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

We had our first frost last night so we had some fires yesterday and last night, woke up with some nice coals so I through on some quaking aspen had coffee with the wife in front of a nice fire..

zap
  22. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

It's going to be 81 here on Sunday...

I did have a small fire in the Heritage on Monday night. That's it for the foreseeable future.
  23. pteubel

pteubel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Burning right now. Frost last night and the house temp fell below 68 this morning. That's fire time!
  24. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    No fire ,frost last night in the 30s but as long as its sunny the house stays in the 70s. maybe next week when it rains.
  25. logger

logger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    House hit 64 degrees Tues, which was a little uncomfortable so I lit her up for the first time. We were in bed naked and complaining 2 hours later when the house was in the 80s.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.