So blow ye winds heigh ho!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
Finally got the last of our birch that was up by the garage moved down to the downstairs porch. DS loaded up the cargo sled and dragged loads down, dumped them, and I stacked. We also got the inside birch pile topped off. Didn't move any more spruce in tonight because I would have to tap into my January pile to do that, and it's become a point of pride to not use that just yet. But we've got plenty of birch with an MC in the mid-teens, so the spruce is holding out.

So I know this is actually wood-related, and as such sort of doesn't belong in the Inglenook which is the non-wood section of the woodburning forum (see the cordless-corded-portable-drill discussion in Hoss' thread for a parallel), but I'm posting it in here because I'm not sure that our accomplishment is quite manly enough to make it in the wood shed, and yet I am still tickled.

I have a solid 2-1/4 cords of firewood under shelter surrounding my back door, and about three months of winter left, and only a few of the months are potentially tough ones. Even if we get a blowing blizzard, the wood is still going to be easy to reach. And if we get another stinkin' rainstorm, even like the one last year that lasted three days and jacketed everything in an inch of ice, my wood will be dry and accessible. Snow or an ice storm would make it hard to get at the wood, so getting that finished was high on my to-do list.

Feeling way self-satisfied about that. And happy with the kid. He did good. So let it snow, let it blow, let it rain . . . never mind. I didn't say that last part.

Ain't it grand, Snow, when it all comes together?

;-)

Dix, when that happens, you'll be the first to know. :lol: But this feels so damned good.

Do you remember last year telling me to go breathe into a paper bag (okay, you put it nicer than that) when my boiler failed? Well whaddaya know? Looks like I made it!

Keep plugging along, GF. Keep plugging along.

"I’m not sure that our accomplishment is quite manly enough to make it in the wood shed"

You're a woman, you did it, and that's gooder enough. Any woman on here is doing the same dang thing, so obviously there's no manly crap about it. 'Nuff said.
Not bashing you at all for saying it, just the idea. I'll stop now. Rant off. :coolsmirk:
Moved about 1/3 cord onto the porch yesterday, and glad I did. The rain started last night, and now the whole area I plow is nothing but a sheet of ice.
Last time that happened, I ended up on my azz, not once, but twice. Thought I broke my hip on the 2nd one.

PapaDave said:
"I’m not sure that our accomplishment is quite manly enough to make it in the wood shed"

You're a woman, you did it, and that's gooder enough. Any woman on here is doing the same dang thing, so obviously there's no manly crap about it. 'Nuff said.

Not bashing you at all for saying it, just the idea. I'll stop now. Rant off. :coolsmirk:
Moved about 1/3 cord onto the porch yesterday, and glad I did. The rain started last night, and now the whole area I plow is nothing but a sheet of ice.
Last time that happened, I ended up on my azz, not once, but twice. Thought I broke my hip on the 2nd one.

Thank you for that. It's nice to know that you guys get the fact that some of us are just not swinging the saws with 25" blades, and we're still gooder enough and doing the bestest we can. That works for me.

And your accomplishment beating the rain is just confirmation that I have something to celebrate. Hate those dang slips on the ice, especially when you're fully loaded. Last year when we had that 3-day rainstorm in November, it started out as a blizzard. I went alongside the driveway and threw all the wood I had down beside it into the driveway, thinking that way it wouldn't get lost in the snow. As it was starting to get dark, I wondered if I should move it all down to the porch, and decided that I was tired, and would finish it the next day. My morning, it was raining and freezing. The driveway was steep enough that I ended up moving that wood down from a sitting position. I bought the cargo sled, and would fill the sled, give it a push, and it would (sometimes) go down to the porch by itself. Then I would make my way carefully down there and unload. No fun. Never want to do that again.

Just a little note: I got the "gooder" thing from a son-in-law a few years ago, and confiscated it for myself. I only talk like that when having a little fun........ok, ALL the time. :cheese:
So, now, we're due for some snow to cover that nice sheet of ice. JUST LIKE WHEN I FELLLLLLL!!! Seems to happen every Jan., we get a thaw, then freeze, then snow to cover it for the unsuspecting among us.
I'm ready this time. It shall NOT get me. :coolgrin:
Should have seen me trying to slide my way to the mailbox about 75' form the front door.......downslope. THAT was fun. :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
Just a little note: I got the "gooder" thing from a son-in-law a few years ago, and confiscated it for myself. I only talk like that when having a little fun........ok, ALL the time. :cheese:
So, now, we're due for some snow to cover that nice sheet of ice. JUST LIKE WHEN I FELLLLLLL!!! Seems to happen every Jan., we get a thaw, then freeze, then snow to cover it for the unsuspecting among us.
I'm ready this time. It shall NOT get me. :coolgrin:
Should have seen me trying to slide my way to the mailbox about 75' form the front door.......downslope. THAT was fun. :coolsmile:

Get thee some Yak-Traks!

snowleopard said:
Finally got the last of our birch that was up by the garage moved down to the downstairs porch. DS loaded up the cargo sled and dragged loads down, dumped them, and I stacked. We also got the inside birch pile topped off. Didn't move any more spruce in tonight because I would have to tap into my January pile to do that, and it's become a point of pride to not use that just yet. But we've got plenty of birch with an MC in the mid-teens, so the spruce is holding out.

So I know this is actually wood-related, and as such sort of doesn't belong in the Inglenook which is the non-wood section of the woodburning forum (see the cordless-corded-portable-drill discussion in Hoss' thread for a parallel), but I'm posting it in here because I'm not sure that our accomplishment is quite manly enough to make it in the wood shed, and yet I am still tickled.

I have a solid 2-1/4 cords of firewood under shelter surrounding my back door, and about three months of winter left, and only a few of the months are potentially tough ones. Even if we get a blowing blizzard, the wood is still going to be easy to reach. And if we get another stinkin' rainstorm, even like the one last year that lasted three days and jacketed everything in an inch of ice, my wood will be dry and accessible. Snow or an ice storm would make it hard to get at the wood, so getting that finished was high on my to-do list.

Feeling way self-satisfied about that. And happy with the kid. He did good. So let it snow, let it blow, let it rain . . . never mind. I didn't say that last part.

What in Sam Hill does manly have to do with the Wood Shed? It has absolutely nothing to do with being male or female. Sure, more men do it than women but there are still a good number of women who do it too and that is how it should be. I can also relate to how you want to hold off on that January wood. lol

Nice to have the son involved with the work too as it teaches along with giving exercise.

snowleopard said:
Dix, when that happens, you'll be the first to know. :lol: But this feels so damned good.

Do you remember last year telling me to go breathe into a paper bag (okay, you put it nicer than that) when my boiler failed? Well whaddaya know? Looks like I made it!

I am so not quoting Barry Manilow here
roll.gif

Snow it gets easier, and easier. The Dixette quotes me "Do it right once, and don't worry about it after that" ;-P

Backwoods Savage said:
What in Sam Hill does manly have to do with the Wood Shed? It has absolutely nothing to do with being male or female. Sure, more men do it than women but there are still a good number of women who do it too and that is how it should be. I can also relate to how you want to hold off on that January wood. lol

Nice to have the son involved with the work too as it teaches along with giving exercise.

The "manly" comment referred to the fact that it was only half-a-cord that got moved and stacked, not much compared to what some folks (male and female) pull off, but it looms large in our little world to have that wrapped up.

A few months ago my son was on a weekend trip with his class. They stayed at a lake camp where the main room was heated with a couple of barrel stoves and it was bitter cold outside6. He said that when they got up in the morning, the other kids were huddled around the cold stoves, and my son just started building a fire. They asked, "Do you think it's okay for us to do that?" and he pointed out that there was kindling, matches, and firewood available, and he was going to use it. He had no problem getting those stoves operational and getting the place warmed up. I was happy to know that he had both the know-how and the initiative to put it to use.

Both my son and my daughter know their way around stoves, can tell seasoned wood from green, can get and keep a fire going. They understand that stovepipes need periodic cleaning. They pitch in and help unload and stack. They've got the basics down, which I figure gives them a leg up in the saddle. It's just sending them off into adulthood with one more tool in the toolbox.

Well done with the kids Snow, those skills we may consider "basic" are lost to many or even most in the younger generations. A little knowledge + common sense will solve many problems. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.