So dad said......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatfarmerbob

Jan 10, 2011
hudson valley ny
Just filled dads basement with some nice hickory, oak and locust with some maple tossed in. it was cut about a month ago some rounds were about 12+ inches.... i mentioned off hand how much i like the smoke coming from his chimney all winter cause i know what time he gets up. and he told me that that wood would be dry by winter and he dosent burn wet wood cause the oil burner heating the hot water in the house through the summer dries it... needless to say i filled my garage with 3+ year wood fromh the woodshed and put the rest of the "green" stuff in the back. heres my question ,,, do i really need to buy a moisture meter to prove a point and save some wood from being wasted or do i let a sleeping dog lay?

make a bet with him... the loser pays for the MM.

Good luck. Father knows best. Maybe, not in this siuation.

KC

phatfarmerbob said:
heres my question ,,, do i really need to buy a moisture meter to prove a point and save some wood from being wasted or do i let a sleeping dog lay?

Here's my question: if you already know that data is not going to sway him, why would you not let this go?

Another question: has he ever admitted you were right/he was wrong yet? If you're not going to change his mind, why not give him the pleasure of your agreement.

"On the other hand, Dad, you might be right."

If it's really about saving the wood, then get him a MM and ask him if he can teach you how to use it.

phatfarmerbob said:
Just filled dads basement with some nice hickory, oak and locust with some maple tossed in. it was cut about a month ago some rounds were about 12+ inches.
He's drying rounds in the basement, or is it split?
Did you ever take any of his wood home and burn it? If so, did it burn like it was dry? Maybe he's right, and it does dry. Is it pretty breezy and sunny in his basement? :lol: At least the wood is covered. :)

phatfarmerbob said:
Just filled dads basement
Tell him that if he burns dry wood, he will only have to fill half his basement. :lol:

Cheap moisture meters may be of questionable accuracy. Mine has to read 15% for the wood to be dry. I suppose one could read 25% on dry wood.

please dont take me as being disrespectful to my dad,, i really dont care if hes burning wet wood or not,, hes happy with the way it works so thats fine with me. Ill throw wet wood in his basement all week long if thats what he wants. i was just trying to amuse some of you here cause im sure that a few of you can relate.

Bob, that is easy to relate to. Some folks just will not change no matter what. At least you know what good dry wood is.

phatfarmerbob said:
please dont take me as being disrespectful to my dad,, i really dont care if hes burning wet wood or not,, hes happy with the way it works so thats fine with me. Ill throw wet wood in his basement all week long if thats what he wants. i was just trying to amuse some of you here cause im sure that a few of you can relate.

My brother is a lot like your dad. He HAS however, at my persistent suggestion, started getting wood for winter of 2011 this spring instead of late Sept./October. I take the blame/credit for that SLOW metamorphosis. I'm pretty sure it'll take another 5 years or more to get him at least 2 years ahead, unless I start dumping loads at his place.

Nature is always looking for equilibrium (balance). The typical relative humidity in a home is around 45%. If you add something that had a higher moisture content, water will be pulled out and absorbed into the air. Similarly, if you add something that is drier, water will be absorbed from the air until equilibrium is achieved. Wood is hygroscopic and readily absorbs moisture from the air. The relative humidity outside is typically higher than outside than inside your house.

Notwithstanding, wind and sun so help dry the wood. I'm not debating that. I'm just adding the fact that the wood will dry inside the house. How fast? Depends on several factors.

What does your dad have for a woodburner, this is your dad (not some clown on hearth :cheese: ) so I am sure you can trade wood to see how well the different woods work.

I would give him a stack of 20% or less wood for him to compare. If he doesn't see a difference thats ok.

Storing wet wood in the house will release a lot of moisture into the house and houses with a excess moisture can end up with serious problems sometimes if the moisture condenses on cool exterior walls inside the house which can lead to toxic types of moulds forming.
If you care for your dad it would be a good idea to buy a moisture meter to, not only check his firewood, but also check the walls in his house for signs of condensation that can lead to mould growth.

A little info about mould

I don't think you came across as disrespectful--just that you were attempting to move the mountain here. My experience with folks who aren't swayed by facts is that if you put them in a position where they figure something out for themselves, eventually they come around to telling *you* what you've been trying to tell them all along. At which point there can be a certain peaceful satisfaction in saying, "Well sunofagun, ya learn something new every day. Thanks, Dad."

Agree with CL that this can be a lot of moisture to release into the house.

My friend Normie, who helped with the NC-30 install, cuts wood on his farm, splits it and takes it immediately into his basement because he wants to handle it only once.

He does run a fan on it all summer long.

But he also has four or five spectacular flue fires every winter.

He sees nothing dangerous about this.

He will not change.

I will miss him and his wife...

Nancy

Intheswamp said:
A little question here.... How does his flue look? Does he sweep it regularly?

Ok, that was two questions. :)

Ed

Dunno what the flu looks like its a masonry with a stainless liner.. i asked him if he was gonna clean it last winter and his reply was " why i have a liner " needless to say ill prolly do it for him sometime when hes not home before next season. i think part of him not wanting to is that it 30 some feet high and neither of us likes working on a ladder

GatorDL55 said:
Nature is always looking for equilibrium (balance). The typical relative humidity in a home is around 45%. If you add something that had a higher moisture content, water will be pulled out and absorbed into the air. Similarly, if you add something that is drier, water will be absorbed from the air until equilibrium is achieved. Wood is hygroscopic and readily absorbs moisture from the air. The relative humidity outside is typically higher than outside than inside your house.

Notwithstanding, wind and sun so help dry the wood. I'm not debating that. I'm just adding the fact that the wood will dry inside the house. How fast? Depends on several factors.

45% indoor relative humidity? What makes you say that?

Wood Duck said:
45% indoor relative humidity? What makes you say that?

Yeah. The humidity in my basement in the summer is off the charts.

PapaDave said:
phatfarmerbob said:

My brother is a lot like your dad. He HAS however, at my persistent suggestion, started getting wood for winter of 2011 this spring instead of late Sept./October. I take the blame/credit for that SLOW metamorphosis. I'm pretty sure it'll take another 5 years or more to get him at least 2 years ahead, unless I start dumping loads at his place.

Sounds like my friend . . . I've got him now so that he has at least bucked up his wood over a year in advance . . . but he just borrowed my splitter to split the wood up . . . and he generally stacks the fresh split wood in his garage and burns it in the Fall . . . baby steps, taking baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.