So, do you just go out and chop wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I was travelling for work last week with a guy from southern California who is relocating to Mass. He mentioned how much utility bills were on homes he's looking at. Being from Indiana with a low cost of living the prices seem astronomical for everything. When I told him I heat with wood and my gas bill (for heat) was 130 bucks for the whole winter he flipped.

First question...so, do you just go out and chop wood? Response...well, yeah I guess. Something like that. I don't really chop but I cut and split what I think I'll need for the winter...a couple years from now.

Next question...so is it like a choo choo and you stoke the fire all day? Response....nope, about twice a day...sometimes 3.

Wonder if he know where milk comes from?
His answer "A container in the grocery store" is my bet.

sounds like another big city person who has no idea what rural/small town/etc... living is about... same people who think we still ride horses as our primary transportation & fight Indians (who live in teepees, of course) on a daily basis here in Montana... lmao

I have some swampland in AZ I'd like to sell him...Does he believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus too? lol

Sounds like he'd be better off stayin out in Lotus Land. He'll have major culture shock when he gets to Mass...........................................................

I'd rather shovel snow for a couple months than ash and mud , while rationing water.
I could get used to the same weather almost every day though.

I have absolutely no problem with big city folk being ignorant of life in the country. In fact I've met many a city person who took to learning with great enthusiasm. It's the ones that look down their noses at us as if we are backward that bother me. I'm convinced that it is a personality thing more than a where-you-are-from thing.

Without actually hearing how the guy asked the questions I can't tell if he's being sincerely curious or what.

He wasn't being condescending....just seemed genuinely shocked that people STILL heat their house with wood.

Probably not much different what city folk say to questions like "what do you mean you don't have a car?", or "what's rent control?". All depends on where ya come from. It really doesn't help when folks in rural areas treat people from the city like they're ignorant snobs, I moved to WY from CA, and even though I grew on a farm in the East throwing more hay than most of the locals there was still a pretty big stigma until I changed those license plates. Should've added some Sierra Club stickers on my car...

Sounds to me like a good person to get to know. He needs to learn a few things and nobody should hesitate to teach if possible. But then, I've also met some folks who I sincerely believe can not learn.....

lukem said:
He wasn't being condescending....just seemed genuinely shocked that people STILL heat their house with wood.

as Maxwell Smart would say........."and luvin' it!"................

I'm With Black Jaque & moosetrek. Don't see the point in making fun of people who ask questions about things they are ignorant of. Don't see the point in dismissing people just 'cause they come from somewhere else.
I wish more people thought about things like where the energy comes from to heat their house or where their food comes from other than the store and how their choices affect us all. I'm happy to talk about that stuff with someone whatever their background is.

Oh, and my wife still asks me if I'm going out to chop some wood :)

midwestcoast said:
I'm With Black Jaque & moosetrek. Don't see the point in making fun of people who ask questions about things they are ignorant of. Don't see the point in dismissing people just 'cause they come from somewhere else.
I wish more people thought about things like where the energy comes from to heat their house or where their food comes from other than the store and how their choices affect us all. I'm happy to talk about that stuff with someone whatever their background is.

Oh, and my wife still asks me if I'm going out to chop some wood :)

I just want to make it clear that I'm not making fun of anyone. I appreciated the honest question. I just find it interesting that something as simple as converting wood into heat can be such a far reach for some people. The same thing could easily be said about me and riding a subway (or insert any common big city activity). He's not a stuck up city slicker, snob, or idiot. It was more of "wow, people still do that...I wouldn't even know where to begin"....than "this country bumpkin needs to get with the times".

We all live in one country but can seem like a different planet sometimes.

"like a choo-choo?" c'mon. he's giving california a bad name...oh, wait....

maybe california really is like a bowl of cereal???

Lukem,

Don't worry, I didn't take your post as deriding your aquaintence. It was straightforward reporting.

I grew up in a small town up north. I always enjoyed the winters, springs, summers, and falls. I enjoy ice skating, hockey, snowshoeing, rabbit hunting, winter camping, and now heating with wood. The worst thing about winters is listening to people gripe about it - learn how to dress for the love of Pete!

I like meeting people from out of this area and showing 'em a good time up here. There's just so much to enjoy. Winters really do go by fast.

I was more responding to some of the responses. Didn't think your OP was making fun.

get him a copy of the Jan Popular Mechanics,, they had an article of what it cost to heat your house per year with different fuels and had an article on wood stoves, pellet stoves and masonry heaters.
I was actually surprised to find that heating with natural gas isnt that much more expensive than wood, if you pay $200 per cord. Ive never paid that much and dont have access to natural gas anyway.

weatherguy said:
I was actually surprised to find that heating with natural gas isnt that much more expensive than wood, if you pay $200 per cord.

That's why I cut my own wood... $5/cord for a National Forest firewood collecting permit :)

Maybe he will stumble onto this site. Could have him burning by next winter.

Black Jaque Janaviac,

I like the spelling of Wisconsin in your avatar. Reminded me of the Ouabache (Wabash) river that's near where I live.

weatherguy said:
I was actually surprised to find that heating with natural gas isnt that much more expensive than wood, if you pay $200 per cord. Ive never paid that much and don't have access to natural gas anyway.

I have a gas furnace in MA. When your willing to put in some labor, wood is less than $100/cord. When the gas utility is done adding delivery and service fees to those gas rates you see printed, the consumer really pays 40-60% more. When you have an older house with uninsulated ducts, a significant amount of that gas heat goes to heating the unfinished basement and exterior walls instead of heating living space. Gas heat IS cheaper than oil/propane and worth every penny from 3am to 7am, when I'm sick, and when I'm out of town. :)

I am outside cutting and stacking all the time
shame of it is I dont burn wood I burn pellets
cut and stack to keep the woods pretty
why?
because the wifes says so

ironpony said:
I am outside cutting and stacking all the time
shame of it is I dont burn wood I burn pellets
cut and stack to keep the woods pretty
why?
because the wifes says so

Not a problem . . . you can use that wood for camping or a fire pit or build up enough of it and you can sell it and use the money to buy pellets.

Jake,

for the little I would get for cut to length wood
I'd rather not deal with the people complaining about it
to long.... to short...... to wet.............not a cord.......
can't tell you how many times I've given it away
problem is nobody ever comes and gets it

Status
Not open for further replies.