So, do you just go out and chop wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ironpony said:
I am outside cutting and stacking all the time
shame of it is I dont burn wood I burn pellets
cut and stack to keep the woods pretty
why?
because the wifes says so

just a thought...maybe you could get rid of the "wifes" and only have one. that way, there would be no majority vote dictating for you to go out and cut and stack

yooperdave said:
ironpony said:
I am outside cutting and stacking all the time
shame of it is I dont burn wood I burn pellets
cut and stack to keep the woods pretty
why?
because the wifes says so

just a thought...maybe you could get rid of the "wifes" and only have one. that way, there would be no majority vote dictating for you to go out and cut and stack

what fun would it be without multiple wives??

what fun would it be without multiple wives??[/quote]

Been there,done that-- lived to tell.

I grew up in a 'rural' family in an affluent area. We were called "the farmers" for mowing our own lawn! I always was taught to fix things myself instead of paying someone else to do it. We occasionally heated with wood, and I exclusively heat with wood as an adult. I still take alot of cr@p from other suburbanites that think I'm a "hick" for heating all winter with wood. If not spending $3000 on heating oil every year makes me a hillbilly--- so be it!! And if renovating my house myself, and repairing my own car makes me cheap, then I'll take that ,too. Only seems prudent to me.

wood-fan-atic said:
what fun would it be without multiple wives??
And if renovating my house myself, and repairing my own car makes me cheap, then I'll take that ,too. Only seems prudent to me.[/quote]

Some people will never understand the satisfaction of doing it yourself, or the pride of a job well done.

It's even more than the satisfaction or pride of a job well done, it's like putting your whole soul into your life when you are able and willing to do the whole job well, whether it's felling a tree and processing it down into firewood, growing your own veggies, or painting your house to spruce it up in Springtime.

Not really a soulful experience in pressing a butting and having warm air appear, and a particularly unsoulful experience when a utility company deducts a winters worth of heating costs from your bank account.............

woodchip said:
It's even more than the satisfaction or pride of a job well done, it's like putting your whole soul into your life when you are able and willing to do the whole job well, whether it's felling a tree and processing it down into firewood, growing your own veggies, or painting your house to spruce it up in Springtime.

Not really a soulful experience in pressing a butting and having warm air appear, and a particularly unsoulful experience when a utility company deducts a winters worth of heating costs from your bank account.............

You grow your own food!?!?!? Don't they have super-mega-mart where you live?

End sarcasm.

Gardening didn't come up....but I'm sure it would have sounded weird if I told him I grow veggies and fruits, and take the time and effort to freeze/can them. For this one, for me, it's about quality. The food I grow is way better tasting and healthier than what ANY store has to offer. Same reason we don't go out to eat except for chinese or sushi...I can do it better at home...not to mention cheaper.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I have absolutely no problem with big city folk being ignorant of life in the country. In fact I've met many a city person who took to learning with great enthusiasm. It's the ones that look down their noses at us as if we are backward that bother me. I'm convinced that it is a personality thing more than a where-you-are-from thing.

Without actually hearing how the guy asked the questions I can't tell if he's being sincerely curious or what.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.