so far not thrilled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
So I started using my cubex pellets today. I figured i would leaf blow my stove and do a cleaning. According to my outside thermometer, is it 30 degrees out and 68 in my living room. Using dry creek at 30 degrees out it was always between 72 and 73. i tried playing around with the damper and nothing is changing. I know 68 is good, when it gets colder out, that means it will be colder in here and I will be back to running my stove on the highest setting again. So I don't know....

Is there usually about 1 cup of fines in cubex bags, so far that is what has been in 4 of my bags.. My stove is so dirty right now..

The amount of fines has nothing to do with ash level in pellets, AFAIK. Could be that your stove's design is most of your burning problems......Cubex are one of, if not THE, best hardwood pellet you can get.

Can you do a moisture test on them? I wondering if they got damp sitting outside, Hopefully you had them covered well.

Or your stove just don't like them. Did you try a sample before the large purchase?

j-takeman said:
Can you do a moisture test on them? I wondering if they got damp sitting outside, Hopefully you had them covered well.

Or your stove just don't like them. Did you try a sample before the large purchase?

How do I do a moisture test? Yes they were well covered. The pellets seem totally dry to the touch. Nope, bought 4 tons, minimum I had to order from them.

Yes macman, my stove sucks. I have been looking on craigslist dreaming about a different stove, but just can't swing it right now.

bummer i really like cubex real clean and not many fines. maybe its just a bad bag.

can u get okies?

Are the Cubies longer than the Dry Creeks?

I did the two test, there was very little moisture on the bottom of the saucer. The weight before was 8 grams and the weight after was 8 grams.

chrisasst,

I don't know what your price range is but I saw an ad on CL today for a harman in Newfield. He's asking $500 although he does not give the model or age....just says great condition. I love my Harman as it seems to burn anything well. The better the pellet the easier the clean up but in a pinch if I get stuck with cheap pellets I know the Harman will burn them well. I was thinking of checking it out to keep as a spare at that price (assuming it's in good shape) but my girlfriend's need for a new vehicle is taking priority right now.

Cubex are supposed to be great pellets but sometimes certain stoves just don't seem to agree with certain pellets. I'm stocked up with Barefoot this winter which has been the best I've ever used as far as heat and easy clean up. I am hearing very good reports on the Curran brand that Keystone Mills is selling in Moravia. I'll probably get a few bags just to test them out.

Good Luck

rex66

I've been burning Cubex since the season started. On low, last year burning Okies, my discharge air temp was 135 +-. Burning the Cubex, same settings this year, my temps are 135 +- On high with the Okies, I saw 290. On high with the Cubex, 310. So far I'm happy. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a bad batch of Cubex?

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.