So glad we covered the wood stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Here is the photographic evidence of the wisdom of covering wood stacks.

We have had near record snowfalls since winter started and on the one side are stacks of Ash for next winter which are not covered.

Beside it are stacks of this year's ash which we covered using salvaged paneling from the basement which was under our house before we moved it over to our yard.

Eventually we plan on building a wood shed in the space where the wood is currently stacked.

Boy am I glad this year's wood is covered.

Attachments

• stacks snow 4.jpg
    stacks snow 4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 769
  • stacks snow-1.jpg
    stacks snow-1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 766
Nice... Lots of white... We got none for xmas and only a few squalls all winter.

Our backyard rink which measures 32 by 75 took us over four hours to shovel off this time around and that was our second big snowfall in addition to lots of little ones. The forecast is for lots and lots of snow this winter. Hopefully that means that temperatures will not be minus 40 for extended periods as in some winters.

Lowroad, just a little forewarning. When you get around to building that wood shed, make sure you still season the wood outdoors before putting it in the shed. It will work much better because the wood needs that air circulation and wind to properly dry.

As for the snow, that looks more normal for us. We only have a few inches so far this year.

Point taken.... When we get to it we will be doing more of a wood shelter with open sides.

The shelter I found last fall is still sitting waiting to be taken away from an old play ground but it is not an easy unit to haul.

Realistically I am looking at using a combination of straight logs from our woodlot combined with cull lumber from our local lumber yard.

lowroadacres said:
Boy am I glad this year's wood is covered.

Heard ya there lowroad. I like to get the following year's wood covered by the time the snow flies. But, life happened and then we got 6' of snow this month. I have been picking my way out but it is a lot more work than it would have been in October.

Attachments

• 122610 heap.jpg
    122610 heap.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 551
I hear ya on digging out. One of the things that saves my sanity is this little unit that I built for the front of our tractor.

It has saved me a ton of energy this winter already and I now trying to figure out how to improve on it for next year. One challenge is that we need to find some form of counterbalance for the rear end of the tractor. We are considering wheel weights as we don't want to go with fluid in the tires and we need to keep the three point hitch blade in place for easy snow clearing.

Attachments

• Tractor wood pallet.jpg
    Tractor wood pallet.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 485
Why not fill the tires?

It also helps that I convinced my beautiful bride that a stack of wood right by the house near the basement window would look really good as a part of our landscaping :)

Now If I can convince her that about 12 cords within 50 feet of that same location is a good thing we may never need to start the tractor.

Attachments

• P7090006.jpg
    P7090006.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 528
Lowroad, it appears rain or snow melt would dampen that stack a little. I have always liked to keep the stacks at least 10' from the house if nothing else, for the bugs that eventually find the wood, not to mention the squirrels and chipmunks or mice.

Beautiful house and I like that deck too.

My little woodpile is well covered, we have never had snow here at Christmas before...........

IMG_3397.jpg

With the tires it is a pain to have to fill them in fall, empty them for summer so we don't chew the lawn up when mowing.

We have the woodstack by the house well tarped and good eavestrough on the house directing moisture away from the stacks.

In our climate there are very few wood residing pests that make it into our home. And we have 7 cats and a dog that keep our acreage virtually rodent free.

Points taken thought that we have had to consider. My ideal is that eventually we will have many narrow stacks in easy proximity to the house. The plan right now is to begin to incorporate the stacks into the look of the yard by using them as an accent or add on along hedgerows. This will also help maximize southern and wind exposure for seasoning.

All I can say is that the wood shed is one of the most wisdomest things I've done since moving here. After dealing with the tarps for the first 4 winters, the shed has been great.
I still get a little blowing snow in the front, but it's virtually nothing compared to 2 feet of snow and ice on top of the stacks.

I've been looking at the pictures of everyones wood sheds on here and I think I will make a proper one next Summer.

After all, it's not just a heap of wood sitting out there in the cold, it's your personal fuel supply seasoning quietly over time :)

Hey lowroadacres, have you considered making a maze with the wood piles? It might be better than all the cornfields that are popping up all around here.

I see your point about the tires. Weight on the rear should work fine.

lowroadacres said:
I hear ya on digging out. One of the things that saves my sanity is this little unit that I built for the front of our tractor.

It has saved me a ton of energy this winter already and I now trying to figure out how to improve on it for next year. One challenge is that we need to find some form of counterbalance for the rear end of the tractor. We are considering wheel weights as we don't want to go with fluid in the tires and we need to keep the three point hitch blade in place for easy snow clearing.

Take 1/3 or 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum and cement a draw bar or loop of chain with hook into it.
You can either pin it to 3 P H or chain it to blade. Lift and go.
Instant counterweight.

lowroadacres said:
With the tires it is a pain to have to fill them in fall

Both the front wheels on my similar era Ford have failed, I assume from being filled. Not sure what model yours is, but some of them use an uncommon 5 bolt pattern that is getting hard to find. My last one came from Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.