So good to get out there today and split some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Had a day off today and some nice weather to split wood, filled up the garage and was again amazed at how much of a difference there was from last year's burning to this years, really an odd Winter, but we'll take it. My neighbor looked over the fence and said "getting ready for next Winter already?" and I said "that's what the smart ones do" to which he comically replied "that's why I'm wondering why you're doing it!" ha ha very funny....:mad: ::-)

And when I was up at the compost site dumping out the bark and scraps there was a guy parked by the firewood pile looking at stuff, and I had a piece of Pin Cherry that had a lot of mold and fungus on it that I was throwing out and I asked this fella if he wanted it and he took it as he said he was looking for dry stuff just for a campfire ring. It was then that he said to me "what kind of wood is that, it's not Pine is it?" and it was fresh cut Apple and I told him so and thought "great, he'll take that too" but he didn't want it, he just wanted dry stuff which was great because I just want wet green stuff for the future! I got the old saw out and cut him some pieces of dry stuff, he left happy, I got some fresh Apple and left happy, so it was a pretty good day for me, very sore now but a good sore! ;lol _g :)

Reactions: D8Chumley
It was a nice day for cutting here, about 40ºF .Didn't have all day though. From 4 - 6 sliced up a swamp maple that blew down at the edge of the swamp a 1/4 mile into the woods. 3 tractor bucket full. Each bucket is about 3 days of firewood once it gets split. Next one is 5 maybe 6 buckets. Gotta get them now or get eaten alive by skeeters and ticks.
Gotta get it before it rots.
and while the water level is down a bit.
I'm way behind and wish I was just splitting and stacking .

Last edited:
I didn't split any but I did stack about 1/2 cord. I found a pallet between 2 of my stacks and immediately put it to use. I also contacted my one buddy that got me some real heavy duty skids 16' long and double 4x4s that I used under a few of my stacks. He doesn't work there any more where he got them but said he would talk to his old boss and maybe he could get me 1-2 more. I need more so I can stack, my pallets are all filled up :) It was a nice day to be outside for sure!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Nice day today, sunny 50 degrees, was finally dry enough to get the splitter to the wood. Got to split about 2 face cord of walnut this afternoon. Felt good to get some alone time.

Cleaned up a couple piles of locust today, stacked some wood in the garage just spent the day outside with the dogs. Felt good to be in the sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.