So how cheap does a cord of CSD need to be before you won't turn on your saw / splitter???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a local guy advertising cords of Almond delivered for $200/cord, 3 cord minimum. I think Almond is something like 35,000,000 BTU/cord, so it is a little bit tempting.

However, like others mention above, the fitness benefits for an otherwise sedentary sort of guy are pretty good. Mentioned the Almond to the wife, but she likes wood processing too much to spend the money.

for $50-$75 for nice CSD hardwood I would invest in some sweats and [del]jogging[/del] walking shoes.

I paid $170.00 a cord csd and I feel it is worth the price and frees me to do other things.. I still like to grab free wood on occasion to add to the pile but can't rely on free wood alone..

Ray

well, i just go as it comes... i got almost a 1.5 csd for 130.. not gonna pass that up as many times a cord is now 75-125 cut but not split ... another load was a cord for 90 but cut but not split.... another time 2.5 not split for 200 ... so as you can see its all over but at good prices for this area... sometimes i get free stuff... but overall i just look for the best price... and scrounge.... now if i could find csd for 100 i would lay it down as 400 a year is not bad compared to $2.72 a gallon x min750 gallons.... i dont have the time to go into the woods and harvest my own (not really any woods close enough) and many times when people call to get trees they are pine or ant infested/rotted and i have to then get rid of the wood for them and i barely get any decent amount of wood for my effort

Beowulf said:
Mentioned the Almond to the wife, but she likes wood processing too much to spend the money.
LOL

My wife likes the money too much and doesn't do any of the wood processing. When I was planning to buy my last 12 cord truckload of Ash, she wanted me to harvest the free Poplar I have growing on my land instead of pay my wood guy $1200. I had to remind her of how much she hates all the fine ash dust that Poplar makes, the stink of Poplar, and the fact you need to burn twice as much, so double the mount of tracking dirt into the house, etc..

I don't have a quad or tractor that can go in the bush, nor do I have a truck/trailer to scrounge so no way will I carry Poplar home on my shoulder. 12 cord of Ash dropped in my yard for $1200 suits me fine. If I could get wood already cut to 20 inch length, split, and delivered, that would suit me fine too.

for $50-$75 for nice CSD hardwood I would invest in some sweats and jogging walking shoes.

I've already got the sweats and shoes - sitting in the closet. Maybe someday I'll see the wisdom in buying my wood so that I can spend my time exercizing. But right now, as long as my body enjoys the work why not kill two birds with one stone?

I haven't found a wood seller I can trust to bring accurate full cords..... so I will continue to do my own free wood and enjoy the exercise. I have found that hand splitting my wood with an axe has strengthened my back to the point that I no longer get back aches. My back used to get sore for no reason at all. I've felt GREAT ever since I started splitting wood.

I do prefer getting my exercise paddling my kayak and casting a fishing pole over lifting rounds into and out of my truck......

When I am not processing wood - I am cutting grass and doing other yard work. There's always some project to interfer with fishing time...sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.