So how DO you keep a fire going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicelady

May 23, 2008
Western MA
Well, we have our wood stove. When I last wrote the forum, I received some great insights. Thanks for that. As I look into the other room, I see the fire blazing, but I don't know why. Three minutes ago it was dead. Nothing. It seems to have a mind of its own. My husband is a "professional" fire layer, so he doesn't understand how it is so difficult for me to keep a fire going. I am originally from Southern California, but I'm a quick learner. Really. My question is, when is the best time to put on the big logs? I'm fine when I have the kindling, fat sticks, and smaller logs, but the minute I put on a big log, everything burns out. Very frustrating. My husband will be here any minute, so I have to turn off the oil heat and pretend the house is toasty because of my newfound prowess. Thanks!

You should have a good amount of glowing red colas covering the bottom of the stove, then add your medium to large splits.
Let them get a blazing then cut your air back & enjoy. If you load at about 300 degrees & above, the new load should take off good, as long as the wood is dry.

Keeping a fire going?

Usually, I just add more wood :lol:

Yeah, you have to have the coals for the big pieces. I'm learning too and I realize that to put on the larger pieces you must have that nice hot coal bed built up. I start out with small pieces and gradually keep adding larger pieces. Once I get a good coal bed, I will throw on a big piece. It will usually spontaneously combust the moment I lay it on the coals. When it does that, I know I am good.

It may help to rake the coals forward, put the biggest split behind them, and then place the smaller piece or two on top of the coals. The primary air is usually fed in at the front and there may be more air from the glass door air wash if so equipped.

Perhaps we are misunderstanding the lady's question.

To keep the fire going around here usually requires dropping the kids off at the roller rink and having grandma pick them up, $50 for a nice dinner, two hours of conversation about things I have no concept of, and finally one Big Ceder Fire Starter, a hand full of small sticks and to arm loads of wood.

That should last all night.

BJ64 said:
Perhaps we are misunderstanding the lady's question...
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

BJ64 said:
Perhaps we are misunderstanding the lady's question.

To keep the fire going around here usually requires dropping the kids off at the roller rink and having grandma pick them up, $50 for a nice dinner, two hours of conversation about things I have no concept of, and finally one Big Ceder Fire Starter, a hand full of small sticks and to arm loads of wood.

That should last all night.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, if you understand that wood must first get so hot it turns into gas and its the gas that burns then its hopefully easy to understand why little pieces of wood catch fire much faster than big pieces. It takes a big piece much longer to get hot enough to start turning to gas and then burning. Also, its always better to put a few logs in at the same time rather than just one. They all help each other heat up better and so they burn much better that way. As already mentioned, a really good hot coal bed will help provide enough heat to get the big wood hot enough so it can start to gasify and burn.

Run the stove full open until you get a VERY good fire rolling. From there I drop it to about 3/4 open air until it gets to I want the stove to run. Drop the stove down below 1/3 (this is where you need to play the learning game) and you should have your long burn. Mine this way (jotul 500 oslo) still has coals in the morning after about a 7 hour burn. Good luck if you already tried this. Works for me.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.