So how many of you are total scroungers but DON'T have splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gzecc said:
The biggist knarliest wood will be last to be taken by the smartest scroungers.

I must not be too smart, I say the bigger the better.

SolarAndWood said:
gzecc said:
The biggist knarliest wood will be last to be taken by the smartest scroungers.

I must not be too smart, I say the bigger the better.

+1 the knarliest is the best firewood.

Thank you all for all the tips, comments and knowledge! I just knew there would be a lot of ingenuity in these answers!

As of right now I am a maul and axe owner. Would love to be a splitter owner and I am dreaming about owning one. For the most part though when I have been behind the eight ball with lots of wood to split I rent. $50 for 24 hours (or a day and and three quarters if you time it right and pick it up Saturday afternoon) and I can go hard and get a pile of wood split.

Then I take it back and the rental store oils it, services the motor, keeps the tires aired up and insures the unit.

If I have 1000-1500 dollars to run out and buy a splitter then I had better be putting an insert into my main floor fireplace.

That being said I would love to have my own splitter so I can avoid the stress and the exhaustion of having to sprint-split when I rent the machine. In an ideal world I would always be caught up with my firewood stock and would always be able to just poke along with the maul. I could set aside the really stubborn blocks and rent the splitter for half a day and be done with it once a year.

Before too much longer I will need to get at blocking the piles of scrounge stock on my yard and getting the splitter rented and then we will make the chips fly.

I was talking to my dad recently and he reminded me of a couple of winters where as a 17-18 I swung a Sotz Monster Maul at box elder night after night to keep the fire going in a home built furnace that we used to heat an uninsulated 100 year old farmhouse. I had tried to block out that period of time but nope... It is back in the mental replay list ;)

okotoks guy said:
I actually enjoy
splitting wood.I'd rather split wood than go to the gym.

I have it the same way, sadly no woodstove where I live now, but I hope to get a place with woodstove in the near future, it's good exercise and it feels great working on something that benefit yourself and not some large corp :)

I used to split by hand but learned that with some wood a splitter is best what might take me all winter can be done in a couple days.... that being said I found a place to rent me a nice iron oak for 65 bucks a weekend....- tht was scweeet! So I would rent 2x a year .... then the company got rid of the splitter because there was only 3 people that rented! Well, HD is open 7 days a week at 105 a day so WhT was 65 from Fri aft to Mon morning x2 is now 2.5 day rental =250 a weekend.......x2 ..... well I think you can see why I just bought one.....
I do split.by hand a lot but when I don't have time or a friend wants to help I use the huskee or when they are big...
The other side to those who maybe hard on cash - I rent myself and splitter mostly to people I know for 75 bucks (if they are good people, and they help) for a couple cords or a day .... 2 people and wood gets split quick..... or 25 bucks an hr for just me n huskee... so it has help cut my cost for the splitter way down... also when I scrounge a lot of times people do want the wood but when I offer to split some for them they love it and always call back .....
Just the other day a guy was so happy for me to take wood (company was gonna charge 1500 to take white oak and beech!) That I offered to split the small stuff he was gonna keep he actually offered me some money!........ I
Anyways , splitting by hand is great I wish I could always do it .... but it doesn't hurt to have a gas or elec splitter hiding somewhere.... as I get older I do thank myself for the splitter

I scrounge and split mostly buy hand! I did get the ryobi electric at home depo for 300. It will split medium oak rounds! It was worth the money if you leave the really big rounds behind!

Iused to split it all by hand but for the amount of wood it took too long . I found a used splitter and it speeds things up a ton . The upkeep on the splitter is very easy .

Status
Not open for further replies.