So how much does a masonry chimney cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

In the North East, the average fireplace and 8/8 burner flue, 5' base tapered to 32" brick chimney 24" high cost about $7200
Material cost the past 18 months has doubled from around $1100 to 2300 with a notice that 15% increases to be expected April 1

What is the root of the increase in materials cost?
Thats a HUGE jump in an 18 month period
I guess as long as the price of wood/plywood etc is going up the concrete/brick makers feel like they need to keep up

I do not know the answer for the increases but suspect like the oil companies they increase because they can get away with it
Shipping Cost fuel charges have to be factored in somewhere. Just guessing I do not know for sure

Elk, is that for cinderblock or brick?

Or is it usually cinderblock with brick facade?

Blocks in basement to all bricks their up with 4" solid block between the flues
Man the Prices of building material is scary. Every trip to the lumber yard cost $250. I look in the bed of the truck in amazement

It is ridcules. We were planning on doing a 1000ft addition but it is coming in at 150k. We purchased the 2200 square foot colonial brand new in 1996 for 185k. With interest rates going up the market will cool and contractors will be fighting for work. I fight the oil companies burning wood and I will fight the price gouging in the home improvement arena by living with what I have.

thats a bargin price for a chimney here in the poconos
a set up like that could be 10,000 now a days
i will not give estimets for more than 60 days,, the market is crazy, concrete alone went up 10 $ per yard in january

Bruce I agree bargin Concrete companies already sent out increase notices again.
This is your basic chimney nothing fancy the cheapest new look used bricks or called capes
no expensive tarestry or water struck bricks the basic

Status
Not open for further replies.