So.. how much will this really yield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Looking to go ahead and save the scrounging time... Found this ad selling a load of logs. Just wondering if anyone can make a reasonable guestimate as to how much a load off the pictured truck is likely to yield once cut and stacked? I realize there are tons of variables involved but can it really end up being as much as their claimed 6-8 cords?

You will have to follow the link to see the picture...

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/grd/2121381521.html

Oh - and apparently the guy posting the ad isn't much better at spelling than me :)

======

logs(firewood) - $400 (frmingham)

Date: 2010-12-19, 8:48PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

log lenght firewood
delever up 20 miles from framingham
wood up to 30" diameter 6 to 8 cords
508 3285945

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2121381521

Slow, what is even more important than the quantity received is, what type of wood will you be getting?

Can't really tell how big the load is from the pic, although the truck looks less than full. Here is a recent load I got. I always buy grapple loads from the same guy and usually get a little over 8 cords. Up here the going rate for a load like this is $750-$800. These logs are about 24' long and wood is about 75% oak with balance being maple.

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

PeterC - that looks like some nice straight wood as well, much easier to load in the truck w/o air spaces.

Dennis - I don't know what kind of wood yet as I haven't called them. Around here oak is a good possibility. My guess is they will only commit to "mixed hardwood", but I won't know until I call. I just wanted to get an opinion from folks here first on the volume possibilities as it seems sellers almost always overestimate their volume.

Related - if one had a choice, is it better to get larger diameter or smaller in terms of overall yield?

That looks like a tough load to work - looks real big and twisty (from what I see), PeterC's looks a lot nicer to work on. Wonder if it is worth your while to check around a little for what else is available for log length before you buy. Cheers!

I bet its more like 3-4. Still might not be a bad deal for 4 bills delivered though depending on what your other options are.

I have got a quote right now of 25 tons on a trailer for $750 mixed hardwood $1000 hickory. I figured this out to be about 8 cords of hickory for $125/cord with me doing the sawing and splitting.
Considering the going price of a cord of hickory is $300-350, I'd say this is the way I am gonna jump on next years wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Slow, what is even more important than the quantity received is, what type of wood will you be getting?

Well I called to ask. Seems like a nice reasonable fellow. The wood is all hardwood - oak, maple and some others common to this area.

Turns out that he processes and sells wood. He has some sort of wood processing equipment that handles the smaller (and likely straighter) pieces and these are the 'leftover' ones that are too large (and I'm guessing just won't go through well). So I'm guessing at this point that this may be more challenging work than just a 'normal' load of logs - i.e. no nice easy pieces to work. Looking to the positive side - I do rather like the wood from larger rounds (lower bark/wood ratio).

He invited (in fact encouraged) me to come by and see what he is offering before setting up a delivery. Have to respect that actually - he doesn't want any misunderstandings any more than I do. So if I can get over there in the next day or so I'll have a look and see...

Status
Not open for further replies.