So how much wood have you used so far in the FALL of 2008??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
So far for me its been.........

1 face cord of Pine

1 face cord of White Ash

3/4 face cord of Cherry

Cheers, Hiram :coolsmile:

Being a first year burner, we've had many a inefficient fire thus far and have gone through.......WAY too much of our wood supply. I can't put a finger on how much it is, but looking at my wood pile and remembering how big it was just a few short months back makes me sad. I don't know how long my supply will last, but I don't think it's going to get me out of the cold time completely. I'll be knocking on the oil man's door at some point.

Next year will be better.

i would say about a cord of red oak since mid oct

I think for the sake of a fair comparison, "face cord" not be allowed as a unit of measure. The ONLY legal unit of measure is a cord or cu ft.

About 3/4 cord gone so far. I usually go through about 4 cords a winter, and I burn 24/7, or whenever heat is needed.

My wood is generally about half-gone by Jan 15. It seems odd that it's that much, but that's the way it usually works out, and I've only run out of wood once. I think that getting more sun in Feb reduces the wood consumption.

"face cord" is a stack of wood 4 feet tall X 8 feet long. Since this "face cord" does not take the length of wood into consideration, it is not a consistant measurement of wood. (a face cord of 12inch logs would not compare to a face cord of 22inch logs)

claybe said:
What is this phantom measurement called "face cord" and how do you measure it?

It's a regional thing. 43cu/ft = 1 facecord. The standard around here is a stack 4'x8'x16" (43cu.ft. or 1/3 full cord)
If you want to order four cords, you ask for 12 facecords.

1/2 cord of pine and a 1/4 cord of oak running the two stoves in the house.

About five sevenths of a rick, so far, I'd say. Rick

LLigetfa said:
I think for the sake of a fair comparison, "face cord" not be allowed as a unit of measure. The ONLY legal unit of measure is a cord or cu ft.

Hey Dude- It really isn't that hard. We deal in thirds and you blokes are all talking quarters and halves. Besides, it's as legal as it gets, Officer.

kenny chaos said:
Besides, it's as legal as it gets, Officer.
Show me a legal document then.

Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Using the only meaningful measure, a cord (128 cubic feet), I've used approximately 1/4 cord of mixed hardwood. However, I do like the "ring" of the sound "rick" Rick.

With temps averaging around 20 to 30 degrees F, the 1st floor at a warm 75 degrees F. and 2nd floor at 67 degrees. Of course the basement was never warmer than 60 degrees and now its a toasty 80 degrees. First season with new add-on inside wood furnace. Furnace 75% installed, waiting for ductwork and electrical to be fully operational. Burning with top plenum opened to the basement, using convection to heat the house. I have used about 1/4 cord of well seasoned white oak, yellow birch, junk beech, and a couple of sticks of hemlock from a batch of free two year old seasoned wood that was too big for the new furnace, so I've been cutting it shorter, splitting, and stacking it.

kenny chaos said:
claybe said:
What is this phantom measurement called "face cord" and how do you measure it?

It's a regional thing. 43cu/ft = 1 facecord. The standard around here is a stack 4'x8'x16" (43cu.ft. or 1/3 full cord)
If you want to order four cords, you ask for 12 facecords.

Just some props to Kenny- I live an hour and a half south of him here in the southern tier of NY, and his is an exact description of a "face cord" and how all firewood is sold in these parts. This year I paid 50.00 a face cord.

Tough for me to gage. I am still burning the ends I cut to make my pieces fit new stove. I have 8 cords in the basement of dry pine and about a cord and a half of end pieces. My guess is I have gone through about 1/2 cord. Its been an unusually warm fall here.

It seems about a 1/2 cord here too...

Today is the first day we haven't burned in a long time... it's 60 here, wow!

1 cord of aspen (= 1/2 cord of oak in btu's). 100% wood heat, 1500 sq ft.

hmmmm, I'm thinkin' I've burned a cord, probably a little more, maybe a cord and a half. I've burned cherry, walnut, ash, and a whole bunch of boxelder, along with all my chunk crap.

Oh, and I threw in a load or two of apple just for kicks, I'm waitin' for cold to burn the rest of that! Nice living in apple country, anytime they rip out orchards they always advertise it for free, c'mon up and get it :)

Well, Started burning end of Sept., and we've used about a 1/3 cord of pine, 1/3 popple, and 1/3 oak.
My individual stacks are all 1/3 cord (face cord),4'x8'x16".
Old ('85) Ashley step top, about 2.5 cu. ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.