so i called woodstock...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrendfrey

Jan 15, 2012
green mtns vt
so i called and was trying to trouble shoot my stove a little as im loading about every six hours to keep room temps around seventy. house is kind of drafty. i was talking with a woman who was very knowledgable about the stove (fireview) checked over everything she asked to the serial number and she informs me that the previous owners of the stove have never replaced the catalytic converter with woodstock. lol the stove is 12 years old. so that might be a reason im not really hold higher stove temps. i can get to 450 no problem but it doesnt stay long and from that peak declines slowly over a couple hours. needless to say i have ordered a new cat and they said it will be hear with a couple weeks had a backorder issue or something. although the stove is holding coals very well and once i lit the stove a week ago havent added any kindling or such just add wood! thats something i love. i remember with our old steel stove it would blast us out and be cold stove in the morning temps in the house are ranging from 70-74 in the stove room 75-77 upstairs and about 62-65 in the kitchen and bathroom. the layout is all open except for the kitchen and bath theres a wall there and the stove/chimney is on the opposite side of that wall. i am thinking that the warm air is rushing upstairs as i can feel it hit me in the face at the top. and cooler air is moving from kitchen and bath area. so i got some insulation and window film to do in the kitchen and bath and see if i can stop some draft and make temp a little warmer. also the stove has been lit for a week now non stop and ive used about 1/3 of a face cord. hopefully this gets even better with the new cat. temps outside this last weeek have been from 16-36 so well see what happens thanks agian for everyones help and to woodstock as i didnt even buy the stove from them and there customer service is top notch. if i buy a new stove it will be from them in the future. stay warm everyone

Reactions: raybonz
You can only get the stove up to 450?

just about me and the wife had it up to just about 500 one time each. like i said the woman at woodstock said that the catalyst is most likely original. she said that the previous owners drove there one time to get rope gasket and a catalyst but decided to to take the cat just the gasket. the stove was built in 2000. thats along time for a cat if you ask me. although by looks its looks good. also she said that the coating that they put on there likely has been used up. thus significantly reducing efficiancy. so ill get that new cat and try it out see if stove top temps get higher. good thing we arent in the dead of winter yet. been snowning almost everyday just flurries some sticking then melting. well find out what the cat does when i get it. ill keep you posted.

Even with a bad cat you should be able to get it over 500. How long has your wood been cut, split, and stacked?

It sounds like you have unseasoned wood.

I would not jump to illusions just yet on the wood. Without the cat working it can be difficult to get the higher temperatures.

jrendfrey, it sounds to me like you probably talked to the gal who is the head of customer service and yes, she is very knowledgeable and will definitely help.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.