So I decide to split up this huge red oak............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
That was leftover storm damage a couple years ago. I dropped and bucked it 5 days ago. I decide to split some of it today after being sick the past several days. Good thing for the hydraulic lift table and the tree being hollow helped the splitter out. Well, I get half of the round split and while moving the other half in position, I smashed my finger between it and the splitter wedge. The wedge is probably to sharp for a wedge. I head off to Doctor and receive a tetanus shot and 3 stitches.

Here is the big tree

bigoak.jpg

splitter.jpg

splitter2.jpg

Nice oak, hope the nurse is easy on you.:)

zap

OOOOCH & I hate needles

Noodle one side
hook a chain thru the hollow to a tree
hook another chain thru it & pull it apart with the tractor
Finger won't be to close that way :)

Good looking wood.

Get well.
Good luck

bogydave said:
OOOOCH & I hate needles

Noodle one side

Good looking wood.

Get well.
Good luck

Ya know, as careful as I am (as I'm sure we all try to be) I damaged my finger on a non moving splitter similar to smashing it in a door. Ya just never know I guess. This was my first experience getting stitches, MAN ALIVE! did it hurt when they shot my finger full of the numbing agent. After it set in, all was good though :)

Thats an impressive round!

Hope you heal up and get back in action soon.
I was putting expansion joints around a garage and ran my fist right into an edge of sheet metal. When the doc numbed it up it was the worst pain ever! There was a pile of dirt because I rubbed my workboots together so much they were clean! haha

trailrated said:
bogydave said:
OOOOCH & I hate needles

Noodle one side

Good looking wood.

Get well.
Good luck

Ya know, as careful as I am (as I'm sure we all try to be) I damaged my finger on a non moving splitter similar to smashing it in a door. Ya just never know I guess. This was my first experience getting stitches, MAN ALIVE! did it hurt when they shot my finger full of the numbing agent. After it set in, all was good though :)

I think they do that just to add one more synapse in our brain to remember to not do it again LOL .
I just pass out when they bring out the needle, then all is ok. :)

Should heal quick & be a long term memory now, & part of your deductible is met, so some good came of it.

The perfect dressed OSHA wood splitter would be so over protected no wood could get split.
Nobody ever woke up & said, I think I'll bust a finger while splitting wood today.

Good post & it makes us all pay a little more attention when working.

Ouch! I hope you heal up fast. I've never needed stitches in my life, and hopefully never do, it sounds painful!

Hit those hollow rounds on one of those cracks with a maul and it will pop right apart. Probably first or second swing. And if you don't want to split the whole round manually, after that it's at least easier to manage on your hydraulic splitter.

LOL, you guys are wimps. Needles and stitches are a piece of cake ! A little pick is all you feel, after that its completely painless. At least thats what I've heard ... LOL

Pat

I agree with quads. It should split pretty easy with an axe or splitting maul...but not the way that axe is in there now. Get it into 2 pieces and it will be easier to handle.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree with quads. It should split pretty easy with an axe or splitting maul...but not the way that axe is in there now. Get it into 2 pieces and it will be easier to handle.

The piece with the axe in it is the base of the tree. I Just stuck the axe there for ***** and giggles. I have about 8-10 of the sized rounds that is on the splitter. Sounds like it will be easier to split them in manageable sizes with a maul first.

Not necessarily easier to do with a maul first but is one option for sure. Many times I'll put a piece like that on the splitter and split, turn the log around and hit with the ram again to finish the split. In fact, I did that 3 or 4 times this morning with some good sized ash that was a bit knotty.

Not a big fan of shots myself . . . I try to spend most of my life avoiding being punctured by sharp things, but when you need it, you need it. . . .

Here's a shot of me two years ago . . . lesson learned . . . when trimming a branch always make a short undercut and then finish the cut on the top to make a hinge and allow a controlled drop.

Attachments

• smallhead.jpg
    smallhead.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 553
I can't remember the last time I had a shot to numb something for stitches. Did you squeeze your barbie tighter when they gave it to you?

in all seriousness, i haven't had stitches in a while. the last couple of times that I needed them I just used some superglue and called it a day. then there was the tip of the finger last year, I thought I needed to go to the doctor, so i did. Now that I look at the scar (he superglued that, too) I wonder what the big deal was. it's only this teensy little tip, i think i'd have been fine without it. (i'm not being sarcastic, it really is a tiny bit, i'm surprised there was enough to heal back together and not just have the tip/flap just die and fall off)

anyway, nice tree. hope your boo-boo heals up ok. I bet the bruise you got on your finger is worse than the cut....

firefighterjake said:
Not a big fan of shots myself . . . I try to spend most of my life avoiding being punctured by sharp things, but when you need it, you need it. . . .

Here's a shot of me two years ago . . . lesson learned . . . when trimming a branch always make a short undercut and then finish the cut on the top to make a hinge and allow a controlled drop.

where was your safety helmet?

Nice score!!! good luck on the finger!..We can never be to careful out there...

anyway, we've sidetracked from what's most important. How much wood do you think you got out of that tree?

Danno77 said:
I can't remember the last time I had a shot to numb something for stitches. Did you squeeze your barbie tighter when they gave it to you?

in all seriousness, i haven't had stitches in a while. the last couple of times that I needed them I just used some superglue and called it a day. then there was the tip of the finger last year, I thought I needed to go to the doctor, so i did. Now that I look at the scar (he superglued that, too) I wonder what the big deal was. it's only this teensy little tip, i think i'd have been fine without it. (i'm not being sarcastic, it really is a tiny bit, i'm surprised there was enough to heal back together and not just have the tip/flap just die and fall off)

anyway, nice tree. hope your boo-boo heals up ok. I bet the bruise you got on your finger is worse than the cut....

Alrite big guy, Believe me, I try to avoid the doctor's office at all cost. I was home alone and debated if I should seek treatment. The cut is right on a knuckle and unless I kept the finger straight it would gush blood. I held a paper towel on it while I thought for a while (Probably not a good idea) what I wanted to do with it. I began to think the wedge was awful rusty and dirty and I haven't had a tetanus shot in years, lol. Then I began to think, This thing will never heal because its on a knuckle and will always be breaking open.
So I said **** it, and drove myself to the doc. I asked for glue but he said it wouldn't do much good, probably just wanted to make more money. But you are right, the injury from being smashed is worse than the cut. I haven't finished splitting the tree yet, lol so I don't know how much wood it will yield. I'm guessing from the section I dropped, maybe 3/4 of a cord. I already have cut and burned most of the top that broke off 2 1/2 years ago which was probably another 3/4 of a cord or so. Its hard to say, some was used in a wood stove and some in an outdoor fire that was never stacked. The tree is big in diameter but wasn't that tall for its diameter.

i hear ya about joint wounds. they take forever to heal, and glue probably wouldn't have held. thanks for being a good sport with the taunting. too many people get really worked up when you joke with them, so i'm glad you took it as intended.

Danno77 said:
i hear ya about joint wounds. they take forever to heal, and glue probably wouldn't have held. thanks for being a good sport with the taunting. too many people get really worked up when you joke with them, so i'm glad you took it as intended.

Oh yea, no harm taken.

Yep. I learned the hard way, twice, that a steel wedge on the splitter gets razor sharp with use. I don't know about the cast ones. Twice I have jerked my hand up and sliced through a thumbnail like it was warm butter by just hitting the non-moving wedge. And that wedge is 22 years old and never been sharpened. Except by oak.

I've had a total of about 300 stitches over the years. The ones on hands and feet are the WORST! Often its the needle of novacaine that's the most painfull.

I thought that's what those sticky notes are for ..... Note to self split wood not Finger . :cheese:
Last time I got cut a few weeks ago with a razor knife I just glued it taped it and went on but it was not on the joint , good call going to the Doc for yours.
Nice tree should yield a good bit of wood , hope your back at it soon .

BrotherBart said:
Yep. I learned the hard way, twice, that a steel wedge on the splitter gets razor sharp with use. I don't know about the cast ones. Twice I have jerked my hand up and sliced through a thumbnail like it was warm butter by just hitting the non-moving wedge. And that wedge is 22 years old and never been sharpened. Except by oak.

Must just be the steel ones like you have ,mine is not very sharp and it has split alot of oak. I guess it could use a little more edge on it I better get the grinder out.

quads said:
!

Hit those hollow rounds on one of those cracks with a maul and it will pop right apart. Probably first or second swing.

Seriously . . . when I saw that hollow round . . . Why would anyone pick that up (manually or using hydraulics) when it will split so easily with a MM? Untill you get tired, splitting stuff like that is faster by hand than with a spliter. Any ter not gonna get tired till ya try to get out of bed the next morning :bug:

Unless of course the nurse is Hawtt . . .then the finger's just gonna have to take one for the team

btuser said:
I've had a total of about 300 stitches over the years. The ones on hands and feet are the WORST! Often its the needle of novacaine that's the most painfull.

Your not kidding!! Before the doc started I said "This wont hurt much right?" He said I don't know how much pain you've been in through your life but this might be the worst you have ever felt. He was right.
My cut was just above my knuckle and so my finger was in a splint for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.