So I found a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
A university in our area is expanding so they are moving/clearing a playground. In that playground is a shelter that would be the perfect woodshed frame for me.

It is a simple metal covered wooden roof on four wooden poles. My challenge, before going to the university to salvage it out, is how I would take it apart and get it home. I will try to get a photo in the next day or two so I can get everyone's suggestions as to how to get it home.

I want to make sure I have a plan in place before I get a yes answer out of the University.

The right dimensions of the area inside the poles is 15 by 10. The roof is almost 3 feet longer and the poles could be repositioned when it is moved.

With a bit of tweaking this structure could shelter 10 cords or so.

Right now we don't even cover our stacks but we are going to be using salvaged wood paneling to cover the piles for this season as the snow gets closer.

Earlier this year I tore down an old shed in one of the township cemeteries. I took it down piece by piece and hauled it home on a trailer. It did take a bit of time but I got some good wood and more metal roofing to cover wood piles.

Good luck.

As long as you have a roof, I think that is all you need. Unless the appearance of the thing matters, I'd leave the sides open for maximum air circulation and easy access to the wood.

I agree completely that the roof is the important piece.

This thing may or may not be available and I may not be able to get it out of where it is without alot of "nanny state-get a permit-bubble wrap-itis" due to the fact that it is on government/university property.

What gives me hope is that my wife actually liked the idea when I showed it to her and she picked out a spot on the yard where I would have wanted it to go!

Good deal . . . hopefully you can get it and recycle it to become your woodshed. Most of my woodshed is actually built out of my old camp that I lived in after college . . . I kept the "Love Shack" sign that I had hung on the old shack and dubbed my woodshed "Love Shack II".

So I found the right people to contact, I have made the call, now I need to decide by Friday if I can get the beast off the site before the end of next week without killing myself or wrecking the potential woodshed.

I love adventures but sometimes I get myself in over my head. I will take my camera with me later this afternoon and I will grab a shovel to see if I am dealing with cement around the poles and we will see if I have found myself a deal or not.

Within the next 24 hours I will post the pics so the wise minds of Hearth.com can instruct me on how to best deal with this unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.