So I get my first gas bill after the stove.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Dec 11, 2005
nw burbs of Chi
billing period is dec 15-jan 15. Got my stove on dec 16th... log in to gas companies site, see that this moth is estimated at 120 bucks.... It lists what my meter "should " read. I think I'll go double check.
aww hell no. the gas co is tryig to charge me for alot more than I used..... On thier site, They have an option where you can manually enter your meter reading. I enter it and the website (in computer language) tells me I'm full of crap. I try again, and again get a message, but this time it emails the gas co.

Today I see fresh footprints from the street to my meter....

gas companies , god bless em:)poor fellas i had heard of a customer who installed a pellet stove (was actually not one of ours, but good story anyway) in her home was actually accused of tampering with her meter after running pellet for her first month. gas company rep came out walked in her home to get to the meter in the back (was invited in) saw the pellet stove running , said "oh, thanks for your time" and left. didnt even look at the supposedly "tampered with " meter out back

Amen to that one - Here is a picture displaying the differences in my gas bill. I installed my first stove in basement in Feb 06, the second in April. With both running this year a HUGE difference over last year! Tears to my local utility company :(

Attachments

• GasUse.jpg
    GasUse.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 574
Jake said:
billing period is dec 15-jan 15. Got my stove on dec 16th... log in to gas companies site, see that this moth is estimated at 120 bucks.... It lists what my meter "should " read. I think I'll go double check.
aww hell no. the gas co is tryig to charge me for alot more than I used..... On thier site, They have an option where you can manually enter your meter reading. I enter it and the website (in computer language) tells me I'm full of crap. I try again, and again get a message, but this time it emails the gas co.

Today I see fresh footprints from the street to my meter....

hey jake, those little round dents in the snow alongside the footprints are likely where teardrops fell, welcome to alternative heat;)

HA! The first year we moved into this house we used gas for heat then bought the woodstove , damn if the gas company didnt come out and put a NEW METER on the house , i asked the guy what that was all about and he said ........a .........well .........these meters get old and dont read correct so they have to be updated , I asked why mine was the only meter to get "updated" on the block , he said because our meter was showing bad readings . I told the guy if he would of seen the 15 cord woodpile beofre he installed the new meter it would of saved the gas company a lot of time , effort and the cost of a new meter. He said "OH , No chit! I didnt even see that"

So i guess at my bill of $20. a month for the hotwater heater it might take a wile to pay off that new meter they just put in.

LOL all the way to the bank .................

ALL RIGHT. I promise not to get into the Gas Company screw job. I told them to take their (*^*%)%)%*$)$*$&$&^(^%&%(%$ meter off my property, or, I was going to chain up at 10:00 am the next morning and rip the line to the main. They got the message.

It just pissed me off that the website thought I was lying... I would loved to see the guys face when he came out tho

Ain't it great! I haven't had a gas bill above $40 so far this year. Just wish I could get my Silverado to run on wood.

Toss a couple of splits in the tank, and off you go. Would be nice.

I'd like a wood-powered air conditioner so my summer electric bill would look like my winter gas bill. How about a wood-powered backup generator?

Ah, I wish I could say the same but our gas bill hasn't gone down dramatically. Probably because our house is not 'open plan' and so the stove can really only heat the room it is in (which it does well) - but now that we have a thermostat on the gas heating system, the ambient heat that escapes from this room can increase the temperature in the lobby so that the gas boiler turns off. We keep the thermostat at 18C, which is a touch cooler than ideal, but then it's in a lobby. These days it can drop to as low as 16C through the night (with no heating) but rises to 18C when the heating is on (unless it's very cold, in which case you want the boiler going anyway).

This year or next, we'll do the other living room, and perhaps the two stoves combined will help keep the rest of the house warm. Hot, no. But keeping the chill off is a start...

Roospike said:
HA! The first year we moved into this house we used gas for heat then bought the woodstove , damn if the gas company didnt come out and put a NEW METER on the house , i asked the guy what that was all about and he said ........a .........well .........these meters get old and dont read correct so they have to be updated , I asked why mine was the only meter to get "updated" on the block , he said because our meter was showing bad readings . I told the guy if he would of seen the 15 cord woodpile beofre he installed the new meter it would of saved the gas company a lot of time , effort and the cost of a new meter. He said "OH , No chit! I didnt even see that"

So i guess at my bill of $20. a month for the hotwater heater it might take a wile to pay off that new meter they just put in.

LOL all the way to the bank .................

I worked 5 summers while in school for a Nat gas co and the meter departments do what they call "routine the meter" (i.e., service the meters) about every 10 years or so during which time they tear them apart, replace parts, calibrate them, reassemble them and repaint them....but you got "special service" because they thought you were cheating them....LOL Some people who wouldn't pay their bills and who didn't want their gas service shut off would tie their German Shepard to the gas meter.......LOL

When I bought my house (no wood stove then) my gas readings were estimated because my gas meter is inside my basement. Because I am single, young, and I have circulation in my blood, the estimated readings were off the wall. I bought the house from an empty nest about-to-be-retired couple in their 60s so my first gas bill was something like $230 or so. I, got compensated with credit when I called them up and stuff and for awhile I was calling in my gas meter readings or using the website. Now, they put a wireless sender unit on the meter and they can get actual readings without me being home and without me calling it in. My gas bills this winter has been between $18 and $20 and that is for the most part, my water heater which is still gas and cooking but most of it is the water heater.

My electric bills have been under $15 so far too.. friends keep thinking I have a magnet on my electric meter... :)

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.