So I ran over a skunk this morning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
Little bastard was sitting smack dab in the middle of the road and he zigged when I zagged and he ended up road pizza. At the first stop sign I noticed the smell. Then I parked at the gym and noticed it more. When I came out of the gym I could smell it from 100' away. There do not appear to be any pieces of the little guy still on the car.

Will a good car wash solve this problem?

LOTS of soap. Then rinse. Again and again. Don't use wax until the stink is gone, even though I suspect the tires have absorbed most of the musk. My condolences.

I have one in a cage right now. Waiting for the appropriate wind direction.;sick His momma is still in my big shed.:mad:

I feel your pain.

I have one in a cage right now. Waiting for the appropriate wind direction.;sick His momma is still in my big shed.:mad:

I feel your pain.
YIKES!:eek:

It may be too late, but:
Do not wash the car with soap.
Get a product called 'Skunk Off' or 'Skunk Out'; it comes in a spray bottle.
(Skunk Off has a perfumey smell I do not like; Skunk Out is the generic knockoff that works better).
They are available at pet supply stores.
Spray all areas that received skunk contact.
Then rinse it off. It works.

The product is based upon a peroxide that breaks down the thiol odour molecules in the skunk oil.
Soap just moves it around.
There is a homemade version based upon hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, but the commercial versions work better.

I have alot of experience with this.

Reactions: firebroad
Have skunk out also, haven't used it yet, thankfully. How did the skunk fare? Like this guy? raccoon.jpg

Hydrogen peroxide mixed with a little dish washing soap will do it.
The hydrogen peroxided will react with the skunk oils and mineralize them.
The soap helps break down the oils, increasing the surface area so the hydrogen peroxide can react faster/better.

Voice of experience here: three dogs, country livin', lots of skunks.

Reactions: Capt
Well drove back the same way I came in and he is not just merely dead he is really most sincerely dead. Raining now so not gonna do anything till tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips.

The dog did not approve, as soon as I let him out after returning he ran right to the tire that hit the skunk and pissed on it. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Sucking chest wounds.

Reactions: osagebow
vinegar for bee stings.
The acetic acid neutralizes the basic venom.

Maybe if you run over another skunk it will neutralize the first one ! Then you won't have to smell the first skunk anymore lol.

Ok seriously yes the pet store products work wonders I have used skunk rid I think it is now skunk off. They work well.

Pete

Go - Jo hand cleaner works very well for skunk removal, it is lanolin based so you can use it on the dogs also. (do not use the stuff with pumice in it). It is what I have been using for more than 20 years. cheap and effective.

I think it is best to run over two cats to neutralize a skunk pizza. Maybe a squirrel too.

I think it is best to run over two cats to neutralize a skunk pizza. Maybe a squirrel too.

Well in that case I'm halfway there. Is it bad luck if you run over a black cat before it crosses your path?

Seriously, I don't know what has gotten into these small critters around here. Skunk, then this morning was a cat committing suicide. I'd never try and hit a cat or anything other than a possum (possum are evil spawn of Satan) but they seem to think my little car wont hurt them and they jump in front of it.

BTW, car doesn't stink nearly as bad anymore.

Well in that case I'm halfway there. Is it bad luck if you run over a black cat before it crosses your path?

Seriously, I don't know what has gotten into these small critters around here. Skunk, then this morning was a cat committing suicide. I'd never try and hit a cat or anything other than a possum (possum are evil spawn of Satan) but they seem to think my little car wont hurt them and they jump in front of it.

BTW, car doesn't stink nearly as bad anymore.
Yup, musta been the cat.
Has is occurred to you that your car might be of a color that is invisible to animal eye spectrum? Okay, never mind...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.