So..... I scored a scrounge today......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I pulled out, trailer loaded, heading into a steep incline in the road. Load was heavy, grade was steep so I admit I didn't get up to 'speed' in a timely manner.

There was a car behind me that turned same as me. They were on my tail for about 50 ft. after the turn and then they hit their horn, solid, and zoomed past me up the hill.

As they passed me in a huff, I said out loud (but they couldn't hear me), "Just hurry home and turn up your thermostat!"

We hauled around a cord of maple home. If this scrounge continues I should end up with around 2+/- cord. I'm guessing the tree was somewhere around +38" DBH. Loading wasn't the easiest - the yard is around 4' higher than the driveway with a timber wall and narrow steps down to the drive. My dolly 'just' fit the width of the stairs.

Free wood = :) and my thermostat stays "off". :)

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen. Camera has been MIA since Christmas.....

I don't get the "Camera missing thing"
They sell cameras, don't need to be fancy, cheaper than chain saws ;) LOL ;lol

Have done the same, heavy loaded, no need or want to rush.
I throw on the 4ways so folks know to go around.

Type of maple? got some old pic of the trailer? what were you towing it with?
All could have been answered with a picture ;) ==c LOL

Reactions: wishlist and ScotO
Shari......Shari, Shari, Shari......
You know the rules....we NEED pics. NEED them! ;)

Sounds like a great score. And I'm with you 110% on the thermostat thing.......we love our wood heat!

Well, the story is: We had 40+ family members at our home Christmas Eve. I re-organized (hid) so much 'stuff' that I still haven't found everything. The camera is here.......... somewhere.......

We took as much as we could from the scrounge today. But, man, the tree cutters really left some big rounds/logs behind. Supposedly the tree cutters will be back Tuesday night to grind the stump (4'+ in diameter) and hopefully they will noodle the big rounds we had to leave behind. I'm thinking about keeping that cut just above the stump in one piece and using it for an outside table....

As far as type of maple: I'm not sure right now. Leaves were just starting so they were not much help. I'll look around for some of last years seeds if/when we go back.

Trailer size is 4'x8', 3,000 lb. rated single axle, 14" tires, A-frame tongue w/pintle hitch.

Tow vehicle is a '98 Olds Bravada. Sweetie has 160,000+ miles on her.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, this was a 'live' tree. I'm not used to dealing with this much green weight. They could have cut it down before the sap went up........

Advil time.......... :)

see if they'd deliver, at least the big stuff, for a small charge. Sounds like a bear to load the stuff, but a great scrounge for sure

Advil is good stuff! We will be back there today to pick through again and hopefully get at least 1/2 load for the trailer. There are a couple limbs that I can saw up but I've only got a 16" saw so that's not much help on the big stuff. Well, it could probably noodle some of them but I'm not too good at noodling as my back gives out standing bent over and I don't feel safe noodling when I'm on my knees - it's an age thing. :)

Reactions: ScotO
Way to dig in and not be bashful of the hard work that it takes Shari
Do you have a nice wedge to split those big rounds to a managable size ? It would be a shame to walk away from a few big rounds after you put in so much effort

Way to dig in and not be bashful of the hard work that it takes Shari Do you have a nice wedge to split

Yes, we do but I'm not known for accuracy swinging anything over my head or even throwing a baseball. :)

Way to dig in and not be bashful of the hard work that it takes Shari
Do you have a nice wedge to split those big rounds to a managable size ? It would be a shame to walk away from a few big rounds after you put in so much effort
Us women have to ask ourselves, "does size really matter?"
Well, does it?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If this scrounge continues I should end up with around 2+/- cord.
Nice! :cool: I'm working on a two-cord score myself....soft Maple.

I'm not known for accuracy swinging anything over my head
I wasn't known either but after a bit of practice I'm now renowned the world over. ;lol

BTW, you might try chipping off the edges on the big ones. Ya can't hit 'em in the middle and expect them to pop open...

Found out it is silver maple - not the best but not the worst either.

Funny, I don't like box elder but I like silver maple yet on the BTU charts they rate them the same.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
Found out it is silver maple - not the best but not the worst either.

Funny, I don't like box elder but I like silver maple yet on the BTU charts they rate them the same.

Maybe it is because the maple dries faster?

Silver maple mostly splits real nice, Box Elder always seems to be all twisted up inside making it a mess to split.

Silver nice clean under bark, box is a slimy mess and lots of bugs.

Rather bust my tail on silver than box any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.