So I set off the carbon monoxide alarm this morning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
New pipe burn in me thinks. Do NOT ignore the CO regardless, you did the right thing. One of my CO's is directly behind the stove in the basement (CO placement and basement install are whole other threads), it is dependable and sensitive to the point that if I start my truck in the tuck under garage on my split level WITH the garage door open of course and the entry door closed, it does go off in less than 2 minutes. Only time the stove has caused it was for legitimate reason, i.e. leaky door seal on start up. Again, do NOT ignore a correctly functioning CO detector. Did someone mention pictures?

macman said:
jbmaine said:
.....I thought I had siliconed the snot out of everything but found an area where the stove pipe ( T?) slides on to the stove that I missed

JB, you DID use an appliance adapter between the stove outlet and the stove pipe, right?
Please explain appliance adapter. I bought the pipe at the dealer where I got the stove. I told him the distance from the stove to the inlet in the chimney and he gave me the right length pipe .He gave me a 3" to 6" T( I believe you call it) to attach to the stove outlet. He said that was all I needed. The dealer also said he test fired the stove before I picked it up( it looked like it) But I thought the new pipe smell might just be the new pipe baking in. I have seen no smoke at start up and don't believe the wind caused blow back. The stove is in my basement attached to an existing chimney. Before the pellet stove I had an old wood stove there for years and never saw any blow back. sorry for lack of pictures. We let our son borrow the camera for a trip. As soon as we get the camera back I'll post some pics.
Thanks again for all the help.
JB

Hi all, so far I have run my stove ( new this year P68) a few times in the A.M. just to try it out and take the chill out of the air. I have been using stove temp with low settings and it's been doing real well. This morning I thought I'd try the room temp setting. The house was 64 degrees when I got up so I turned on the stove and set it for 75 degrees. The stove is roaring away and life is good except I started to smell what I assumed was new stove pipe smell ( I'd never had the stove running this hot before). Then the carbon monoxide alarm went off. I shut the stove off and opened some windows. After everything cooled off I checked all the stove pipe connections. I thought I had siliconed the snot out of everything but found an area where the stove pipe ( T?) slides on to the stove that I missed ( stove shields made it hard to reach). That is now sealed and I will try the stove again tomorrow. It's odd that I can run the stove for several hours on low with no problem but within 45 minutes of running it on high I tripped the alarm ( this is installed just above and off to one side of the stove) . These stoves burn so clean I never did see any smoke and am only guessing as to where the leak was. Does anyone have any tips or hints on the best way to find a leak like this. If I find I still have a leak I would like to do more than trial and error to fix it.
Thank you so much for your help
JB

jbmaine said:
Hi all, so far I have run my stove ( new this year P68) a few times in the A.M. just to try it out and take the chill out of the air. I have been using stove temp with low settings and it's been doing real well. This morning I thought I'd try the room temp setting. The house was 64 degrees when I got up so I turned on the stove and set it for 75 degrees. The stove is roaring away and life is good except I started to smell what I assumed was new stove pipe smell ( I'd never had the stove running this hot before). Then the carbon monoxide alarm went off. I shut the stove off and opened some windows. After everything cooled off I checked all the stove pipe connections. I thought I had siliconed the snot out of everything but found an area where the stove pipe ( T?) slides on to the stove that I missed ( stove shields made it hard to reach). That is now sealed and I will try the stove again tomorrow. It's odd that I can run the stove for several hours on low with no problem but within 45 minutes of running it on high I tripped the alarm ( this is installed just above and off to one side of the stove) . These stoves burn so clean I never did see any smoke and am only guessing as to where the leak was. Does anyone have any tips or hints on the best way to find a leak like this. If I find I still have a leak I would like to do more than trial and error to fix it.
Thank you so much for your help
JB

I can guarantee you I know what will be coming next....................

PICTURES, we need pictures! (How was that Macman?)

Seriously though, pictures would help. How far is the venting from windows, what does the end cap look like (wind was blowing hard here in Maine, perhaps you had some blow back???), etc., etc.

I would also put the alarm on an opposite wall, or at least 10 feet away.

I don't think its your flue leaking. Just burning off the paint. New stoves will smell for a bit. If I ever get a new stove, I will run it outside for a couple of runs. Gotta burn that crap off.

If you slowly burned off the paint it isn't as bad. But still smelly. I am suprized the dealer didn't do it for you. My ex dealer burned off the smell on the new bigE I had!

jay

I would be surprised that a flue leak on a stove that is installed correctly would set off the CM alarm....expecially if the flue pipe is hot. Do you get any smoke in the room at startup? Even so it surprises me. Have you check for any blockages in the exhaust?

BIH

sinnian said:
I can guarantee you I know what will be coming next....................

PICTURES, we need pictures! (How was that Macman?).....
:lol: You read my mind Sinnian.

WE NEED PICS!! the members LOVE stove pics, or else it didn't really happen! :cheese:

jbmaine said:
.....I thought I had siliconed the snot out of everything but found an area where the stove pipe ( T?) slides on to the stove that I missed

JB, you DID use an appliance adapter between the stove outlet and the stove pipe, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.