So i want to put a sprinkler system in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seige101

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2008
Western MA
So i want to put a sprinkler system in at my house. Got some quotes ranging from 3300 ish to 5k. Seems a little pricey for this postage sized yard here. Roughly 1200 sf of lawn and a couple flower beds. I'm very handy, but i have to ask before i turn my lawn in to a potential mud puddle, is this a DIY project? How easy to install, zones etc.

Here is very rough layout that is not to scale.

Tim

Attachments

• half-assed-layout.jpg
    half-assed-layout.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 242
Did one once> was too cheep to go with timer system. Had a manual manifold for the zones. Ok for me, for I am a early riser and enjoy spending time with my landscape. That said: I used Rain Bird pop-ups which threw straight strips, 1/4 radius, 1/2 radius, full, so on. More of a mist spray which I feel lost too much to evaporation. Could run about eight heads (full radius, half radius, mix) before losing pressure. 3/4 suply line reduced to 1/2 at "T" and 90`s. Drip system at flower beds may work for you and use little pressure if you go with a manual system. To do it again , I would step up to a more commercial grade pop-up broadcaster that actually threw some water, with adjustable spray radius. Dont know if broadcaster is correct word.(like old type which ratchets back and forth throwing water) They would require a deeper trench, and you will need to figure in a drain at lowest point for when winter comes.

woodsman23 said:
for 3300-5k i'd hire a guy to water it for 10 years and still save money

Heh, i am thinking i can DIY it for about $1250-$1500 including renting a trencher for a day or weekend.

Looking to do a automatic system with a rain sensor. I hate driving by businesses and other people's houses and watching the sprinklers compete with the rain.

My pet peeve with sprinkler systems are the ones that put puddles in the street, or even worse, water the street... Not nice on a bike... :mad:

(I also dislike people that use their windshield washers at stop lights - they are aimed so that the wind blows the goop into your windshield at highway speed, this usually means a good stream goes over the top of your car at a stop, and gets the guy behind - I shower every morning, I don't need another one from your car!)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.