So I want to replace my fireplace with an insert and need some newbie help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
I have a insert fireplace (just an old fireplace that is inserted into the wall/chimney) and it has a fan on it. It draws air in the bottom and blows it out the top after the air is heated in the void behind it. It's OK, but after this last winter and my new found free source of firewood, I want to upgrade. I have no idea how to even guess what brand this insert is, how to remove it or get into it to look inside and I would like to go with a new insert that is MUCH more efficiant. I am just handy enough to be dangerous, but where do I begin?

My goal here is two fold and they may be contradictions but here they are:

1) Remove old fireplace and replace with new insert.

2) Do as little damage/deconstruction as possible.

I currently have a metal pipe going out the chimney but I cannot tell if it is just pipe or a lined pipe. While I wish it was as simple as taking the old one out and putting the new model in, I know this isn't the right or even feasible way to do this so here I am. Pretend I don't even know what a fireplace is when replying to me. :) Thanks in advance guys.

Tlhfirelion

You can try something like this.The guys where i bought the stove put it in and i put the extra row of tiles in front to meet 18" code.You will get lots of help around here!

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 565
hey stanley thank you for the reply. I guess I have a lot of questions in my initial post so I'll start with this one. How do I figure out what I need to replace my current one? I guess help with that procedure would be my first step. I like that idea of an additional row. That looks good.

tlhfirelion said:
hey stanley thank you for the reply. I guess I have a lot of questions in my initial post so I'll start with this one. How do I figure out what I need to replace my current one? I guess help with that procedure would be my first step. I like that idea of an additional row. That looks good.

I am pretty much a rookie like you! I did alot of searching here and there are lots of excellent help from people in this forum.Tomorrow i break in my new stove with its first lite.If you can post a pic of your current fireplace insert it would be a help to us here on helping you out.A wood stove today requires at least a partial stainless steel liner up the chimney (a full liner is best though.If you do have a full steel liner now that will reduce the cost when you get the stove in by several hundred dollars.Once the old insert is removed then measurements can be taken for getting a new insert.Best of luck!I think its a good choice to upgrade!Todays new stove are more efficient and burn much cleaner.

I was thinking of putting up a current pic and your suggestion seals the deal. I'll post one up tonight hopefully. Question: is it possible to get the size needed to replace this one without removing it? If it's at all possible I would rather do that as opposed to tearing into my hearth. That would be a mess.

tlhfirelion said:
I was thinking of putting up a current pic and your suggestion seals the deal. I'll post one up tonight hopefully. Question: is it possible to get the size needed to replace this one without removing it? If it's at all possible I would rather do that as opposed to tearing into my hearth. That would be a mess.

I would think the answer is no!but im no expert.If by chance you have a manual on that old insert you may be able to use measurements from that to help.

Sounds like you have a zero clearance fireplace. I would take your fire box dimensions and look at Quarafire, Lopi and others and see if you can find an insert that will fit and be approved for a zero clearance fireplace. You should be able to slide one right in your fireplace without tearing much out. You can usually download the manuals for inserts and find what size and type fireplace they can be installed into. You will also need to reline your chimney with some stainless flex or rigid the same size as your new inserts exhaust since your fireplace chimney is probably too big and not rated for wood stove heat. Any local dealers in your area? Go check them out, there are some pretty good deals going right now.

no manual it was in the home when we bought it. The home is about 18 years old. :( Crap, this is gonna turn into a expensive ordeal I can already feel it. lol

Todd said:
Sounds like you have a zero clearance fireplace. I would take your fire box dimensions and look at Quarafire, Lopi and others and see if you can find an insert that will fit and be approved for a zero clearance fireplace. You should be able to slide one right in your fireplace without tearing much out. You can usually download the manuals for inserts and find what size and type fireplace they can be installed into. You will also need to reline your chimney with some stainless flex or rigid the same size as your new inserts exhaust since your fireplace chimney is probably too big and not rated for wood stove heat. Any local dealers in your area? Go check them out, there are some pretty good deals going right now.

Good replies thank you guys. I have a 6" pipe currently. I will try and post up a pic so you guys can see what I have and maybe have seen it before.

Napoleon has the 1402 p zero clearance insert and has a bigger box then the Quadra fire.I'm a newbie and I installed my insert my self and what I looked for was size ,how long of burn time and how much it could heat such as sq footage. I also read the manual over and over again and look up all clearances. Emission's then I made my purchase When looking for insert look at gross weight of the unit the heavier the better so I think also look at the size of the fire box.
Ive found a great deal online and I goggled fire place insert and youll find what ever your looking for. Good luck

New insert and new 6" liner kit $1400.00 and it will pay for it self in less then a year
price of oil sucks

here are some pics. The one with the corner of the fireplace is where I THINK I should crack this walnut open if/when I do, but I'm not sure. Is there any realistic way to remove an insert without demolishing the stone around it. It's just veneer by the way.

Attachments

• fireplace 1 (Medium).JPG
    fireplace 1 (Medium).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 526
  • fireplace 2 (Medium).JPG
    fireplace 2 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 519
  • fireplace corner (Medium).JPG
    fireplace corner (Medium).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 521
Burd said:
New insert and new 6" liner kit $1400.00 and it will pay for it self in less then a year
price of oil sucks

Thats ok. I was hoping to stay as close to 1000 as possible but I know the liner kit is a must have. Does that go in from the top or up in from the bottom before you put the new one in?

It looks like a pretty good sized fireplace, so you could fit a good sized insert right in there without tearing anything out and hide the rest with the insert surround plate. If you find a local dealer or chimney sweep see if they can come over and inspect it and see what will work.

Can you get to your pipe connection.You would think that the surround plate would come off to get to tha fan motor if not remove the grout line around the fire place disconnect your pipe and pull it out then you'll see your bricks and the true size of your fire place.
most new insert thatt I've looked at comes with a new surround plate and most likely will hide the missing grout
How much sq footage do you have

Todd said:
It looks like a pretty good sized fireplace, so you could fit a good sized insert right in there without tearing anything out and hide the rest with the insert surround plate. If you find a local dealer or chimney sweep see if they can come over and inspect it and see what will work.

I hadn't thought of asking a sweep or dealer to come take a look, thats a good idea. The measurements of the fireplace (not the opening but the entire thing) are 33"tall by 45"wide and from the opening back into the fireplace to the back wall is 17".

Burd said:
Can you get to your pipe connection.You would think that the surround plate would come off to get to tha fan motor if not remove the grout line around the fire place disconnect your pipe and pull it out then you'll see your bricks and the true size of your fire place.
most new insert thatt I've looked at comes with a new surround plate and most likely will hide the missing grout
How much sq footage do you have

I'll see if I can get into the guts of it without doing much damage. I would like to replace the stone on it anyways but one project at a time is all ym checkbook can handle. We have about 1600 sq ft and then a small basement for 2100 total.

Can you get to you pipe conection. Will the surround plate come off .You should be abile to get to your fan motor so most likely that surround plate comes off and the metal box is inside. Im not shore but I think that is three peices Your surround your doors then your box.Is there any type of marking on it like a make or name.
I put my 25foot liner in from the top down while turning that way it couldn't get hung up on any thing.
I went to two dealer ship and i asked Q to get all my A
write things down and sudmit them to the post there is a lot of help out there.
These new insert hold alot of heat so make shore you install it right.
When in dout pay someone to do it
with free wood it will pay for it self

Ive have 1600 sq as well and it 75 in my house right now with a window open I just tried to take the chile off. IT WORKED dam Its hot in here
Just call me a newbie but dont call my late for dinner I need my energy to split wood

tlhfirelion said:
here are some pics. The one with the corner of the fireplace is where I THINK I should crack this walnut open if/when I do, but I'm not sure. Is there any realistic way to remove an insert without demolishing the stone around it. It's just veneer by the way.

What you have is NOT an "insert" it is a built in ZC fireplace. You do not need to "replace" it. You can simply slide an insert INTO in, that's why they are called inserts. I saw mention of removing all the guts, DON'T, unless you want to replace the entire thing. All inserts I have seen will only allow installation into a fully in tact ZC firebox. Once you start cutting metal out, you are done. Your other option besides an insert would be to rip the entire thing out, chimney and all, and replace it with an entirely new fireplace and chimney system.

The actual insert you linked to earlier (2700i) would be a good fit probably, and would go inside the existing firebox. If you want to replace the whole thing you would be looking at something like this:

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

To follow up with jtp, you're options are limited with inserts that are approved for zero clearance boxes. Use the opening of your doors to base the size of your stove on since the rest will need to stay intact. Plus leave enough wiggle room for your hands to connect the liner.

The Lopi Revere is ZC approved also and has a 10" cooktop, so it's not completely flush with the wall.

Attachments

• A1193624.jpg
    A1193624.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 340
jtp10181 said:
tlhfirelion said:

What you have is NOT an "insert" it is a built in ZC fireplace. You do not need to "replace" it. You can simply slide an insert INTO in, that's why they are called inserts. I saw mention of removing all the guts, DON'T, unless you want to replace the entire thing. All inserts I have seen will only allow installation into a fully in tact ZC firebox. Once you start cutting metal out, you are done. Your other option besides an insert would be to rip the entire thing out, chimney and all, and replace it with an entirely new fireplace and chimney system.

The actual insert you linked to earlier (2700i) would be a good fit probably, and would go inside the existing firebox. If you want to replace the whole thing you would be looking at something like this:

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

hhmmm....well I do like the sounds of your idea. Not having top tear anything out would be the ideal here. So would my course of action be to get an actual insert and I would assume a chimney liner and install that? Looking at my pictures aboce, what would come out and what would stay in relation to the current fireplace currently in place? I hope I can remove the current fan as it is frigin LOUD. Thank you for your reply and I will be pming you.

jlinke said:
To follow up with jtp, you're options are limited with inserts that are approved for zero clearance boxes. Use the opening of your doors to base the size of your stove on since the rest will need to stay intact. Plus leave enough wiggle room for your hands to connect the liner.

The Lopi Revere is ZC approved also and has a 10" cooktop, so it's not completely flush with the wall.

opps you just answered one of my questions. So is the liner attached from the outside of the insert liner connection and then the whole thing is then put inplace? I liked the picture of the one you had in your post. That would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.